I sign on Monday and have an appointment on Tuesday BUT...

Calailan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well i sign on Monday which is no problem at all and i am actively seeking work, i search for and apply for at least 4 jobs a week.

However, i recently spoke to my advizor and they arranged for me to have an interview at a training course tomorrow which i do intend to go to.

However, Tuesday through to Thursday i'm going to be busy with other things and only available after like 6pm. This has me worried as i don't want my benefits to be stopped all because i can't make this appointment with my advizor so i can tell her how things went and give her this form thing. I just really have prior engagements that cannot be re-scheduled and it has me really worried i don't know what to do. I can't just pretend i'm sick and get a sicknote off the doctor or anything because i don't like lying but i just can't make it to this appointment.

What are my options here? Am i allowed to re-schedule? It's not like i'm not signing on or not looking for/applying for work every other day. They mentioned that their diary was pretty full next week as well so i don't really know what to do. I asked if they could make it Monday but they can't.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Calailan

I think that you have to go. The whole point of the system is that you are supposed to be looking for work - or doing work-related training - pretty much all of the time. You aren't supposed to be busy with other things. It may not sound fair to you, but that's the way it is. Yes, you could try fighting the system, but sometimes, it's just not worth it. You have to weigh up the cost of the fight and the loss of benefits against whatever it is you are doing.

In my experience if you contact your adviser and explain the situation before hand explaining that you have a pre-existing appointment on that day that you are unable to change and was arranged prior to your signing on then they will usually send out a new appointment for you, and not stop your benefits. They can't expect you to have nothing else at all planned in your life....you have to show you are activly seeking employment and usually have to attend courses arranged for you to get your JSA....but you are allowed a life! Good Luck Arlene

All appointments are mandatory and they can only be rearranged under certain circumstances, the person booking and rearranging appointments will need to know the reasons why you can't attend and it could be referred for an availability decision. You can still be treated as actively seeking ifyou can prove you are but if you hasve things preventing you from being available untril after 6pm for a couple of nights that will raise doubts.

We are asked to rearrange appointments for all sorts of reasons and unless it was something like a job interview prearranged medical/dental appointment, a childcare issue or a domestic emergency it is likely you will be advise the appointment stands and you are required to attend or you will be referred for the availability decision. Things are changing and the process is being tightened up with the emphasis being placed on the conditionality of claiming being a top priority.