• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BAYV do they see the "line" and have to cross it?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I am a BAYV customer approx 6months in

,I have a TV from them (which the meter is attached) and a washer dryer.

Last week I went on holiday to Scotland with my family leaving my nearly 17 year old daughter at home (college and work commitments)

Late on Thursday night I received a phone call from the police to say my house had been broken into

and my daughter seriously assaulted in the process and she was in hospital in quite a bad way.

rushed home..

straight to hospital etc..

and then home to check the damage,

they had broken in through the kitchen window and my daughter who was asleep at the time had been disturbed

had come downstairs to be confronted by the burglars who beat her up and left her unconscious (amongst other things that we will not dwell on)

kicked our cat that hard it was killed and then cleared our house of anything valuable and left via our back patio doors..

.the BAYV TV being one of the items.

Scenes of crime officers etc attended and I briefly made a phone call to BAYV to tell them about the TV,

giving them the incident number and explaining the full horrible story before returning to the hospital to be with my daughter.

On monday morning while I was at the hospital BAYV called,

my son answered the door and told him I was not in and where I was and he left and said he would call again.

Monday afternoon he called again (I was still at the hospital)

Monday evening he called again, - - I was home picking up clothes etc..

.I expressed my surprise to see him and asked why he was there,

I also asked if the office had explained what had happened,

He said he knew nothing about it and that he wanted the crime number...

it was explained to him that it had not been given yet as my daughter was still in no fit state to give a statement to the police

and they were taking things very slowly with her because of what she had been through,

he insisted I get it for the next day for him,

I said I would ask but my priority at this moment was my daughter and the rest of my family and not their TV.

He turned up at the house again 3 times on Tuesday....

really banging on the door (son said he just ignored him)

today he turned up knocking 3 times,

on the 3rd occasion my 14 year old daughter answered the door to him and explained I was at the hospital and didn't know when I would be back.

When I did get back she was upset and had said that he had been round but refused to go into detail about what he said.....

.it took myself and members of my family a couple of hours to coax it out of her,

apparently he had been on the doorstep for about 10mins going on about the crime number,

about removing the goods,

about default payments and how serious that was and that he wanted the crime number by 3pm

or I would be in trouble,

she had got upset and was scared I would go to prison and is now jumping everytime the door knocks

(so we already have children traumatised thinking people will get in and hurt them at night and now everytime the door knocks they think im going to be carted away to prison)

I am to be fair too exhausted to even get mad by this,

i really did not think that putting my daughter first

,supporting her through her ordeal was that unreasonable..

.but apparently I need to drop everything and deal with BAYV because they demand it....

I have told the police and they have told me to ignore them for the time being and not to worry

(pretty difficult when he's pretty much camped outside my house and is scaring the children witless)

Any advice? (I received the crime number tonight btw but feel a bit hacked off at everyone being treated like this)

Thank you x

I Like My Money Where I Can See It.....Hanging In My Wardrobe

Yeah, get a paintball gun and go fu**ing crazy!

Honestly, ignore him. If he refuses to leave, call the police as he is trespassing, and harassing you.

Can I just say that I hope your daughter recovers quickly (both physically and mentally from the trauma) and I hope that the rest of your family are OK. Stay safe, wishing you all the best hun

Yeah, get a paintball gun and go fu**ing crazy!

Honestly, ignore him. If he refuses to leave, call the police as he is trespassing, and harassing you.

Can I just say that I hope your daughter recovers quickly (both physically and mentally from the trauma) and I hope that the rest of your family are OK. Stay safe, wishing you all the best hun

Forgot to say that he actually stood and gave me a lecture "as I should of informed BAYV I was going on holiday" I was gobsmacked...

And Mamamoo thank you very much for your kind words x

Hi, first of all I am really sorry to hear about your daughter and what was clearly a distressing and violent burglary.

I can look in to this from our end. I just need your account details and name and address so I can speak to the relevant area manager involved . Don't post your details on this site. Private message me instead. I will also need the crime number when you get it.

Many thanks

BAYV

Hello

I am a BAYV customer approx 6months in

,I have a TV from them (which the meter is attached) and a washer dryer.

Last week I went on holiday to Scotland with my family leaving my nearly 17 year old daughter at home (college and work commitments)

Late on Thursday night I received a phone call from the police to say my house had been broken into

and my daughter seriously assaulted in the process and she was in hospital in quite a bad way.

rushed home..

straight to hospital etc..

and then home to check the damage,

they had broken in through the kitchen window and my daughter who was asleep at the time had been disturbed

had come downstairs to be confronted by the burglars who beat her up and left her unconscious (amongst other things that we will not dwell on)

kicked our cat that hard it was killed and then cleared our house of anything valuable and left via our back patio doors..

.the BAYV TV being one of the items.

Scenes of crime officers etc attended and I briefly made a phone call to BAYV to tell them about the TV,

giving them the incident number and explaining the full horrible story before returning to the hospital to be with my daughter.

On monday morning while I was at the hospital BAYV called,

my son answered the door and told him I was not in and where I was and he left and said he would call again.

Monday afternoon he called again (I was still at the hospital)

Monday evening he called again, - - I was home picking up clothes etc..

.I expressed my surprise to see him and asked why he was there,

I also asked if the office had explained what had happened,

He said he knew nothing about it and that he wanted the crime number...

it was explained to him that it had not been given yet as my daughter was still in no fit state to give a statement to the police

and they were taking things very slowly with her because of what she had been through,

he insisted I get it for the next day for him,

I said I would ask but my priority at this moment was my daughter and the rest of my family and not their TV.

He turned up at the house again 3 times on Tuesday....

really banging on the door (son said he just ignored him)

today he turned up knocking 3 times,

on the 3rd occasion my 14 year old daughter answered the door to him and explained I was at the hospital and didn't know when I would be back.

When I did get back she was upset and had said that he had been round but refused to go into detail about what he said.....

.it took myself and members of my family a couple of hours to coax it out of her,

apparently he had been on the doorstep for about 10mins going on about the crime number,

about removing the goods,

about default payments and how serious that was and that he wanted the crime number by 3pm

or I would be in trouble,

she had got upset and was scared I would go to prison and is now jumping everytime the door knocks

(so we already have children traumatised thinking people will get in and hurt them at night and now everytime the door knocks they think im going to be carted away to prison)

I am to be fair too exhausted to even get mad by this,

i really did not think that putting my daughter first

,supporting her through her ordeal was that unreasonable..

.but apparently I need to drop everything and deal with BAYV because they demand it....

I have told the police and they have told me to ignore them for the time being and not to worry

(pretty difficult when he's pretty much camped outside my house and is scaring the children witless)

Any advice? (I received the crime number tonight btw but feel a bit hacked off at everyone being treated like this)

Thank you x

With due respect I will not be giving any of my personal details to anyone either on a post or via a personal msg as you are a complete stranger...dont know if you actually read my post but after going through what we just have we are not even opening the door let alone passing details out via the internet? *scratches head*

But thank you anyway for being another BAYV employee asking for the crime number.......

P.S Last night while I sat in the police station lobby for an hour waiting for the crime ref number to be issued to me my 8 month old son started to crawl........I missed it, god bless BAYV!

Hi, first of all I am really sorry to hear about your daughter and what was clearly a distressing and violent burglary.

I can look in to this from our end. I just need your account details and name and address so I can speak to the relevant area manager involved . Don't post your details on this site. Private message me instead. I will also need the crime number when you get it.

Many thanks

BAYV

Hi, just to reassure you, I have been given permission by CAG to officially represent BAYV on this website. However, I understand you security concerns so I will private message you my contact details at the company. I want to help, but I can't if I don't know who you are.

Please understand that in order to complete your claim, we have to validate it with a crime number. I don't mean to cause offence or additional stress, but in the event of any claim, an insurance company will ask for a crime number.

Many thanks

BAYV

With due respect I will not be giving any of my personal details to anyone either on a post or via a personal msg as you are a complete stranger...dont know if you actually read my post but after going through what we just have we are not even opening the door let alone passing details out via the internet? *scratches head*

But thank you anyway for being another BAYV employee asking for the crime number.......

P.S Last night while I sat in the police station lobby for an hour waiting for the crime ref number to be issued to me my 8 month old son started to crawl........I missed it, god bless BAYV!

Thank you

I am aware that you have to give a crime ref no.to validate a claim,the point of the matter is under the circumstances your employees do not have a right to come to someones house and demand it,threaten for it,scare children to obtain it.Im sure a couple of days was not going to make a lot of difference...or is there a specific time frame given by law that I am unaware of ie: days?

I was keeping your company totally up to date with all that was happening,being completely transparent and helpful....(more helpful than I actually should of been) Maybe you should stop "talking" to me and question why vital information that was given to your office was not passed to the relevant manager etc...I have heard that computers do wonderful things these days

Can I also stress that I am also aware that to be-able to "help me" you need my details,but I actually do not recall asking for your help,and to be frank if I had known that I would be ambushed on here by BAYV I would of never posted,I will make my complaint to your company when I am ready to do so,not when BAYV want me to.

I would rather you did not PM me...but I see you already have......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- can you try to not to cross that line?

Hi, just to reassure you, I have been given permission by CAG to officially represent BAYV on this website. However, I understand you security concerns so I will private message you my contact details at the company. I want to help, but I can't if I don't know who you are.

Please understand that in order to complete your claim, we have to validate it with a crime number. I don't mean to cause offence or additional stress, but in the event of any claim, an insurance company will ask for a crime number.

Many thanks

BAYV

Dear BAYV,

Clearly this lady will need to provide you with a crime number, but this is not a matter of urgency, her family's wellbeing, however, is.

I'm sure that within a reasonable timeframe you will receive said crime number, but right now you need to tell your disgraceful employee to back right off.

Clearly you need to retrain a number of your staff, as this lady is not the first to have been harassed, and unfortunately I doubt she will be the last.

Perhaps rather than finding the specific culprit in this instance, you should use this opportunity to reiterate to ALL of your account managers that it is unacceptable to treat ANY customer this way, and perhaps provide them all with definitions of both harassment and trespass, and how both are illegal.

• 1 month later...

I am baffled by the sense of priorities here. If my household suffered an appalling incident like this I wouldn't waste a moment informing BAYV or any other supplier of goods. That would all be left to one side, for days or even weeks, whilst the immediate welfare of the family was dealt with.

Sallywallwoo decided to call BAYV immediately, which is far more than they could reasonably expect. Any decent company would then have waited a week or two before making tentative, sympathetic contact. BAYV instead sent a menacing representative to visit 3 times a day and threaten the family. There are no words for the low moral character of a company which will behave like this.

BAVY, you are just as dispicable as your employee who harrased the lady and her family. All you are concerned about is the crime number, nothing more. The fact you decided to PM her even after she asked you not to shows how much you care about her current situation. You need to back off and also ensure your staff do the same and wait until she decides to contact you. Some things are far more important than the cost of your TV!

I advise all my clients to proceed and take action against companies, staff and their directors under Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act. By the principle of vicarious liability, culpability goes from the door harasser right up to the Board Members. The penalty is up to £5,000 per causal event. Report the company to the OFT as well, just to give them a real kicking. The door harasser has no right of entry, only a Common Law Licence to walk up to your door. You revoke that licence by either writing to the company, or by telling him through the letter box that he has to leave your property forthwith. Never ever open the door or leave your windows and doors unlocked - he can, if acting lawfully, get through an open window or door and then break out. If he does not leave forthwith you are entitled to throw him off your land and call the police. From the moment you revoke the licence he is a trespasser. End of. When will these companies get the message?

I may have misread something here but surely NO bayv employees have any legal right to enter a property, especially via a window!

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

Yes, you're right in these circumstances. When one has very limited space to deal with extremely complex issues it is very easy to stray and make errors and omissions. I amplified, but did not make clear, that a bailiff is similarly restricted under Common Law, except a bailiff does have the right to enter"If acting Lawfully" (my line 6) via an unlocked door or open window; thereafter he can break out. If entry has been refused and the bailiff forces his way past the debtor the bailiff has committed an offence. See Rossiter v Conway [1894] 58 JP 350 and many others on this topic. It seems the debtor can quite legitimately use reasonable force to force the bailiff out. A shot-gun may be a bit extreme but a rolling pin probably not!

I'm so sorry you've gone through such a horrible experience. The last thing you need is this dreadful company piling on more pressure - and shame on the BAYV rep on this page as well!

If you're still on the receiving end of this treatment, try answering the door with a camera in hand, record the whole thing, and put it on youtube so that everyone who knows this bullying creep can see the harassment he's deliberately placing on a family going through such a dreadful time. I'm surprised the police didn't approach him to warn him about harassment - a criminal activity - when you told them about it, he's certainly guilty of it.

I hope your daughter recovers fully, and that you can all start putting this behind you. I'd just like to point you in the direction of victim support as well, if you aren't already aware of them. They're a charity set up purely to help victims of crime get assistance they need to help recover after things like this.

Take care.

I'm so sorry you've gone through such a horrible experience. The last thing you need is this dreadful company piling on more pressure - and shame on the BAYV rep on this page as well!

If you're still on the receiving end of this treatment, try answering the door with a camera in hand, record the whole thing, and put it on youtube so that everyone who knows this bullying creep can see the harassment he's deliberately placing on a family going through such a dreadful time. I'm surprised the police didn't approach him to warn him about harassment - a criminal activity - when you told them about it, he's certainly guilty of it.

I hope your daughter recovers fully, and that you can all start putting this behind you. I'd just like to point you in the direction of victim support as well, if you aren't already aware of them. They're a charity set up purely to help victims of crime get assistance they need to help recover after things like this.

Take care.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all your replies and sorry for my quietness.

Just a small update Jessica (Daughter)is doing well,after a long hospital stay and then recoup at home she's back at work and college and seems to be bearing up well,so thank you again for all your kind words.

As for BAYV, crime number was given to the collector as requested via txt,loan TV for supplied by them a week later.

Loan TV turned up with a crack in the screen and generally very tatty,sounds like the speakers are on their way out and not the same size as our original....as of today's date we STILL have that loan TV and I am still paying the same payments as before,have contacted them several times to ask when we will have a new TV but get fobbed off by both the office and my overpowering collector (he stills comes round)Washer dryer has also been broken for the last 6 weeks (still paying) Have given up trying to get the matter resolved and have pulled the washer dryer out and purchased a new machine (washer dryer stands unloved and forlorn in the garage)

Have not received any paper work regards the claim,Money to be paid on meter jumped up by about £5 per week though this is denied by both office and collector.Always take the meter to Free running straight away but the last couple of collections were short (evq to about another week and a half)collector cannot explain why so I end up paying straight from my purse to him and getting a receipt.

Now clueless to what is going on with my account......about given up to be fair

Wow. I'm glad your daughter is on the mend - what a terrible story!

If it was me, I'd buy a ratty second hand TV and tell them to come and pick their TV and the washer dryer up, just so I could be shot of them. Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable types will be able to tell you if you can claim anything back for the period that you've been without both items.

Again, glad your daughter is OK now. :-)

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Wow. I'm glad your daughter is on the mend - what a terrible story!

If it was me, I'd buy a ratty second hand TV and tell them to come and pick their TV and the washer dryer up, just so I could be shot of them. Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable types will be able to tell you if you can claim anything back for the period that you've been without both items.

Again, glad your daughter is OK now. :-)

Hello there, what a terrible story.

If you decide to follow Laughing Girl's advice, you could also check out freecycle locally to you. Ours has TVs sometimes.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I forgot about Freecycle. HoneyBee is right, it's a really good resource. Plus, it's useful for getting rid of things you don't need anymore, especially if you don't drive (like me!).

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this can only be described ss your complete horror story firstly i hope you and your family are recovering from this horrible incident and the crimminals are caught and feel the full force of the law.you did nothing wrong you went away on holiday left your home occupied so you had no responsability to inform no one of your intentions .this is a company that have no understanding what you have endured here .they dont even care sadly there selfish and will have no thought for others .2009 a product i brought of them burst into flames as it was faulty burning my kitchen down they was informed of the facts within a hour of the incident .no electrics no water no where to prepare food or wash .july 2009 they ignored it did nothing until late dec 2009 left us living like this for that period 5 months.so i can understand how you feel .these are a shabby company that preys on vaunerable people when things go wrong add to your miserey . i hope at least your family are ok i think this company have acted disgustingly in this sad affair