Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd and Multiple Collection Agencies

SazJazG
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

First Post on here as in desperate need of advice!

For the past 6 months or so my Fiance has been receiving letters and phone calls from multiple debt collection agencies

(Robinson Way, Lowell and Moorcroft to name a few) with regards to a debt apparently owed to Lloyds TSB,

they are threatening anything from a repayment plan to legal action despite no correspondance from my Fiance as to whether he does live here or if he acknowleges the debt or not.

They all have different account numbers and are for varying amounts from £200 - £4000!

My Fiance did have a Bank Account with Lloyds TSB but it was just a Cash Card account with no Overdraft or anything on it.

This account dates from before I met him so at least 2 years ago maybe more.

It was also registered to a totally different address to where we live now but all of the letters are coming here and this is an address that was never associated at all with his account.

He also has never received any letters from Llyods TSB about the debt or had any correspondance from any one regarding it until 6 months ago.

He had been ignoring them but came home today to find a card pushed through the door from a collection agent from Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited

who had called to discuss a repayment plan, wants him to call her and is going to come back next week!

We can handle the letters and phonecalls but draw the line at someone visiting our home when there is absolutely no proof that he owns the debt.

Is it legal for more than one debt collection agency to collect the same debt of varying amounts?!

Sorry for the long post but any help that can be given would be gratefully received as we are at a loss as to what to do now.

Hi and welcome to CAG

This sounds like your Fiance has the same name as the real debtor. Either that or someone has committed fraud against his name. I suspect the former.

Why not have a read of the updated debt collection guidance HERE before WRITING a formal complaint to each creditor, the OFT and to their local Trading Standards.

Do not deal with this over the phone. When they phone up just say 'In writing' and hang up

When sending letters, do not sign anything. Just print his name

In the library (top left) is a prove it letter should you need to send that

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Silverfox1961

Many thanks for the reply. I have looked at the OFT guidlines and they have been most helpful, what they are doing is unfair, does not follow the guidlines and it does clearly state that more than one DCA cannot collect the same debt. I think the best thing to do is to send the 'prove it letters', hopefully this will get all of this nonsense to stop. Fingers crossed it will work as we don't really want any more visits!

can i suggest they check their cfa file please

they are getting this info from somewhere

and i bet thats where its from

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Definitely check credit reports for searches.

Also check linked addresses, make sure you haven't been linked to somewhere you have never lived.

I had same problem which started about five years ago, and when I checked my reports for the first time, I was amazed to see how many had been searching in there.

came home today to find a card pushed through the door from a collection agent from Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited

who had called to discuss a repayment plan, wants him to call her and is going to come back next week!

The so called tame agent works on commission and lives in the local area, and has no legal training knowledge or right to be on anyone's property demanding money, if she turns up again tell her to get off your property or you will call the Police and have her arrested for a breach of the peace and a tort of trespass, then shut the door.

Is it legal for more than one debt collection agency to collect the same debt of varying amounts?!

NO it isn't.

As already said check your CRF, keep a diary of events, keep all letters these clowns send, and DO NOT under any circumstances speak to the phone drones.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yup stay off the phone and do not engage with their agents if they visit, remember these are not people you can 'reason' with just pond life, stick to the facts.

Deal only in writing

Provide the least amount of information NEVER send them anything you have linked to the debt.

Do not offer financial information

NEVER use a direct debit or cards to pay them, only standing orders that you set up

NEVER sign any letters with your normal signature, either print or use one nothing like your recorded signature on your passport etc (this will prove fraud if you see it again elsewhere).

Most of all make sure you keep them busy, make them do the running around finding documents etc

Andrew

Escaped the DCA nightmare, now helping others start businesses

www.ukleakdetection.co.uk

If you think they are in breach of OFT debt collection guidelines then you may wish to threaten them with this, saying you will be taking action on that basis if they do not leave off.

I have in the past taken action successfully against 2 of those you mentioned in your initial post. After paying me, rather than risking a court visit, they went away quite quickly...

They are very cute at threats but hate it when the tables are turned...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

We sent the prove it letter off last week and today in the post my fiancé received a statement of account from lloyds tsb. The debt in question is a loan taken out in June 2007. My fiancé has never had a loan in his life. This is all of the information we received, no copy of the executed agreement. It is obvious that they are chasing him for a debt that he doesn't own the debt but we are now unsure what to do going forward. Any advice?

Well there you go then. Enough information there to raise formal complaints with each DCA first.

The OFT debt collection guidance is pretty clear on that score. They must be sure that the debtor they are chasing is the right one

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

as advised

please check his CRA file

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Update - Received a letter on Saturday from Moorcroft saying that they have requested the relevant documentation from their client and once received will be forwarded to us and that they have put a hold on this account. We then received a letter today from Lloyds with a Notice regarding the personal loan, still no executed agreement to this alleged loan!

Dx- as advised we have today checked his CRA file and there is a Default on his account from Lloyds TSB regarding a Current Account, as I said he did have a Current account with Lloyds and he went overdrawn so I can only assume that the amount on there is from charges.

Just need some advice really as what to do. My fiance has never had a Loan and it doesn't show on his credit file that he has so Moorcroft are obviously chasing the wrong person. He did have a current account and was overdrawn when he last used it (at least 2 years ago) so how should we go about contacting Lloyds and getting the default removed?

When was the default placed and when was the account last used please.??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I would suggest now that he should do a subject access request

to the bank this will provide all the data held on the account and

establish just what is being chased.#

The SAR costs a Stat fee of £10 and the bank have 40 days to reply.

Please use the template letter from the CAG library.

In my opinion get this done asap.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Or a third party cheque-never one in your own name. Signatures etc!!

Thank you for your responses. We will send a postal order with it. The only thing that I'm worried about is that they will send information as well about this alleged loan and link it to my Fiance as we have had 2 letters from Lloyds about the loan that he has never had. Is it best to request the SAR on my fiances current account number (which he has on a very old card) that he had with Lloyds and that the charges should be on?

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. We have received no executed agreement from moorcroft re the alleged loan. Haven't heard anything from then for a while apart from of their doorstep agents turning up (despite us saying we did not want that in letter. She was politely told to go away. They were obviously desperate!) and my fiancé had a missed call on his mobile from them. Is it worth sending them an account in dispute letter or should we leave it?

With regards to the SAR from lloyds. Haven't had anything back from them yet but they still have some time so will have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Another update: It has been well over 40 days now and my Fiancé has not received any communication from lloyds from the SAR so we are not sure what action to take now with regards to getting this default removed from his credit file. Any advice?

On the moorcroft situation we had a letter from them stating that collection activity will cease while they are awaiting the paperwork for the alleged loan. Despite this though we have received letters threatening him with litigation! This just proves what a joke they are so we are going to ignore all communication from them as they are just out to scare us into giving them money.