AA Car Insurance continuing to take money from my account even though I cancelled the direct debit

Matt63
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If they are saying the following:- 'Another interesting comment that the AA made was there appeared to be a lack of communication between my ex g/f and myself. Well, yes, obviously, that's what happens in these sort of circumstances!'

Why have they acted on the account, if that is the case?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had another letter on the subject. It's three pages long but I shall summarise:

i) I cancelled the direct debit that that is not sufficient to cancel the insurance

ii) In any case, I phoned them and told them that I wasn't going to renew but they had a technical failure and do not have a recording of that phone call.

iii) I then wrote them a letter but they say they didn't receive it.

iv) They say my ex g/f renewed the policy. She denies this. She says she asked for the policy to be changed to her address and her bank details. I can see the ambiguity in this. The AA however say they had my authority for her to act on my behalf as a result of a telephone call that they made to my mobile after an accident she had in which I authorised them to speak to her directly regarding the accident.

v) As soon as they say they became of aware of the situation (my 4th letter), they cancelled the insurance. But because my ex g/f had had an accident in the meantime, they now say the full year's premium is due.

Therefore they conclude "The facts are that a policy was taken out in your name using your bank account, and ultimately you are responsible. In the circumstances I am obliged to ask that our collections unit recommence their usual procedures in these circumstances."

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Just to follow up on this thread: I wrote a firm rebuttal of their letter and asked them for three things:

a) the transcript of my ex g/f's conversation with them in which they said she renewed the policy,

b) a copy of the authority giving them permission to accept my ex g/f's instructions to take out a new policy in my name.

c) a copy of the letter sent to my ex g/f in reply to my letter dated 5th August 2011

I never heard back from them. And thus the matter ended, and I never had a call from any debt collectors. An interesting lesson.

Just to follow up on this thread: I wrote a firm rebuttal of their letter and asked them for three things:

a) the transcript of my ex g/f's conversation with them in which they said she renewed the policy,

b) a copy of the authority giving them permission to accept my ex g/f's instructions to take out a new policy in my name.

c) a copy of the letter sent to my ex g/f in reply to my letter dated 5th August 2011

I never heard back from them. And thus the matter ended, and I never had a call from any debt collectors. An interesting lesson.

Did you get any of your money back?

No I didn't. From memory the bank refunded the final payment under their direct debit guarantee based on the paper trail I presented to them but to be honest I was not really too concerned with the past, more that I did not have to pay the remaining four figure sum that they were demanding. I think a key fact was that they admitted they had "lost" the recording of my original call to them in which I told them that the original policy was not going to be renewed. Fortunately my itemised phone bill clearly showed a half hour call to them on the correct date and it was obvious from their own notes that other vehicles were being discussed. Ii just think they took a view that if they had to take me to court they would not win and quietly dropped the matter. The lesson for other forum members is that if you "stick to your guns" you can often get the desired result.