• Tweets

• I've had a text and email from MCB: "Dear XXXXX Please contact us today. Your payment has not been brought up to date and we would like to discuss your account with you as a matter of urgency. Our telephone number is 02039236888"   " Early investigations confirm you are resident at the above address. Despite this, we have not managed to speak to you about your now, seriously overdue debt.   We are now instructing our external debt collectors to contact you directly in relation to your loan account. If you want to avoid this course of action, contact us today on 0203 923 6888"
    • What type of finance is it?   HP, PCP, Loan? They want her to ring so they can bully her into making payments she can't afford...unless she can record her calls then IMHO, I'd keep everything in writing. Is £400 SSP her only income? There's no chance they will justify taking half of that.   Lodge a formal complaint with them ASAP, exhaust it, and then you can escalate it sooner rather than later, ruddy sharks!  
    • Is all of this actually on the signage? Don't remember seeing that much detail on other threads.
    • If I have learnt one thing from this forum, it's not to call and communicate via email. I passed this info on to her and they are pushing for her to call them.    "Unfortunately, you will need to call us. The conversation won’t be so black and white as to therefore type over email. In a nutshell we can confirm that the request to not pay for 3 months we cannot put in place"  I emailed them back on her behalf and said that what ever is discussed over the phone will need to be put in an email so that she can review it properly. No decisions will be made on that phone call.    "Once we speak to you on the phone we will follow up with an email to confirm the options discussed. [Phone number]"   Why are they pushing for a phone call? If its not so black and white, why can they then follow up with an email?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Interview under caution for ALLEGEDLY living with partner

darreny2207
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am a newbie and a bit confused. My GF and I both received letters today saying that we have to go for an Interview under caution as they believe that i am living at her address and she is claiming benefits ( i am not and never have).

Over the past 12 months we have had a particularly torrid time, let me explain briefly.

1. In November last year i was taken seriously ill and had to have an emergency heart bypass at 39 years old. When i was discharged from Hospital i needed care and support and my GF gave me that. I stayed with her as i wasn't allowed to live at my house as i would have been on my own. I couldn't drive for a long time due the chest healing so my car was left outside her house. She is on the insurance so can use it whenever she wants.

2. In March she gave birth to our baby, the pregnancy wasn't planned and was a massive shock but we decided to keep it. On her first child she had major post natal depression and with my illness this birth was no exception, no sleep, very low moods and with 2 sons (not mine) to look after times were very tough. I have helped out as best i could and as i wasn't working it seemed the best solution. Again my car was outside the house.

3. I went back to work in August this year and then my GF father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, so needless to say she wanted to be there for him, so again the children needed caring for. When she was at her dads i stayed to care for the children, as her ex husband wouldn't help!

Then today we both get these letters, i have read on here today that you don't HAVE to go but as we have done nothing wrong ,in our eyes, why shouldn't we? I am worried though that they will tie us up by twisting what we say! I have my own house, with a lodger renting a room, all my bills are at my house, my car, insurance, credit cards, bank accounts everything. Should i go to this interview when i am not the one claiming benefits or will that just antagonise them even more if i don't?

I am really worried, angry and irritated obviously someone has reported her but they knew my name so it must be some one who knows me aswell. On my letter it states that they want me to answer some questions but on my GFs letter it mentions evidence that they have, would they have really set up surveillance? And if so surely the reasons that i just given are understandable?

Sorry to spout on but i needed to vent :-) Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

The evidence that they may have can be varied; they do perform surveillance but not in every case. Let's say that they have surveillance - it would look pretty damning if done over the periods that you were there. From their point of view that, coupled with you having fathered a child with her, would cast a doubt upon her claim and they need to clarify that. The reasons you have provided are good reasons however and presumably can be supported by third party evidence - such as medical information which will tie in with the dates in question.

They will look at a range of factors when trying to reach a determination of whether a couple are living together as husband and wife; overnight stays are only one factor that they consider.

Whether you go to the IUC is entirely your choosing. If you choose not to go, they are entitled to draw inferences from that and will press ahead with the evidence they have, if they believe it is sufficient. You can also go and leave part way through if you feel that you want to take further advice or simply don't wish to continue (you can leave an IUC at any point in the proceedings). You can also take legal representation with you if you wish. A legal representative will be able to obtain disclosure immediately prior to the interview to assess what evidence they do have which in turn will enable them to advise you better.

Some IUC's can result in no further action as the information is clarified during it and found to be acceptable, and some result in providing them with further ammunition in their case.

If you pop over to my Benefits A-Z, there are 3 ZIP files all about fraud - there is information there about their procedures in IUC's and in LTAHAW/CP investigations

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi there,

I had an interview under caution last may for the same reasons. I went along and my ex was asked to go along to a seperate interview to answer some questions regarding our relationship etc. We have two kids together. What I would suggest is you take all the evidence you have that proves your address. They like to snoop through peoples bank accounts, they wouldn't be able to do this with you as you don't claim benefits but no doubt they'll have your partners statements. If she can explain all ingoings and outgoings then that will help. Get people to write statements for you confirming that you don't live together. I'd also suggest getting a letter from your GP explaining all the health problems etc. My benefit was stopped in October and it's taken this long to get it to a tribunal. I won this last week and was also advised that the DWP have been doing this to alot of people. If you can prove that you don't live there but supplying that evidence they wont have a leg to stand on

They can look through the statements of someone not claiming benefit if there is sufficient evidence that the account may be being used to commit or assist fraud.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Ok well you know something different from me then as my ex asked at his interview about his bank statements and was told as he doesn't claim any benefit they have no rights to view them. I was also told this by my lawyer.

Thank you all for your replies,

i guess if we have nothing to hide not going or giving "No comment" answers wont do us any favours, just keep the answers simple, as said before i am nervous of notes in previous threads that say they can be very manipulative with their questioning!! I can prove all of my bills etc are at my house, i can prove my illness and i can prove i didn't go back to work until August this year, so if it is my car at her house then that's easily answered aswell. They have also not stopped her benefits, surely if they were confident of any fraud would they keep it quiet for almost a year and still pay her?

Ok well you know something different from me then as my ex asked at his interview about his bank statements and was told as he doesn't claim any benefit they have no rights to view them. I was also told this by my lawyer.

I think that perhaps they meant in terms of your specific case. They can and they do gather information from accounts of anyone whom they have a reasonable belief is using their account to assist or commit fraud, however as with all cases, they have to be able to show that the intrusion into this person's privacy is necessary and proportionate; if the intrusion is not necessary or proportionate as may have been the case with you, they cannot gather the information. But they can do it, and they do it a lot more often than people realise. This is how many couples who are committing fraud are caught. It's no different to the police getting access to a person's accounts when they are suspected of using it for money laundering; any person suspected of assisting in the commision of a criminal offence can have their personal records delved into.

They have also not stopped her benefits, surely if they were confident of any fraud would they keep it quiet for almost a year and still pay her?

It can take that long to gather the necessary evidence - although a person's benefit can be suspended in some cases, it's rare as there has to be a reasonable belief based on factual evidence. Until that evidence is gathered and qualified the benefit cannot be suspended. In many instances, it isn't until after the IUC that benefit is suspended or terminated.