When can you claim Pension Credit?

frank_begbie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I've just had this experience. I officially retired from last Tuesday (9 months after my 60th because of the "sliding scale" introduced for women). I was told by Pension Credit Helpline that they couldn't process my claim until I had the EXACT amount of pension I would be getting. If you know this already, then I guess maybe you can claim now, but if you only have a pension forecast (as i had when I called) then I don't think they can put the claim through. I may be wrong, but this is what I was told.

Hi. I've just had this experience. I officially retired from last Tuesday (9 months after my 60th because of the "sliding scale" introduced for women). I was told by Pension Credit Helpline that they couldn't process my claim until I had the EXACT amount of pension I would be getting. If you know this already, then I guess maybe you can claim now, but if you only have a pension forecast (as i had when I called) then I don't think they can put the claim through. I may be wrong, but this is what I was told.

Thanks for that. I suppose I'll have to give them a ring to get the information I need.

I have been claiming pension credit for approx 2 and a half years and my niece for the last 6 months we were both told that we would not be able to start processing our claim until 6 weeks before date the claim would start in my case on my 60 birthday (in Dec 2008). Do not know how this will affect anyone with the new sliding scale of age entitlement.

dpick

I have been claiming pension credit for approx 2 and a half years and my niece for the last 6 months we were both told that we would not be able to start processing our claim until 6 weeks before date the claim would start in my case on my 60 birthday (in Dec 2008). Do not know how this will affect anyone with the new sliding scale of age entitlement.

dpick

Ok thanks, according to what you say, I should be able to start my claim around the middle of March then.

I'll just give em a ring to make sure.

I went to the job centre today and picked up a booklet on pension credit.

On the second page it says "the earliest you can apply is four months before you reach the Pension Credit qualifying age".

My birthday is 11th of May so I'll be claiming near the end of January next year .

Sorted!