• Tweets

• That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
    • Received a call and follow on confirmation email from the police about my cabinets! They wanted to confirm that I was prepared to support police action for the matter and that I would be happy to provide a statement and attend court at a later date!!! I think that something might actually get done - it won't get my cabinets back I know that but hopefully it will put a stop to this so called courier doing this to people!
    • Around a month ago I had to send a sympathy card to a friend in GB. Logistically it made sense to buy a personalised one on eBay and get it sent straight to my mate, rather than faffing around getting it sent to me.  This mighty purchase set me back all of £3.05 (including postage costs). I was taken aback that, when it was sent, I got a tracking number.  For a flippin' three-quid card!  I had no idea that technology had moved on so much and that tracking was so easy.  The shop has feedback for 16,300 purchases so tracking must be easy & automatic. It's unlikely your case will get to court, but in cases that do this got me thinking that we need to aggressively challenge the PPCs where they have lied about the timescales of sending their rubbish and have no proof at all of posting - when it would be so easy to provide it.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

wescot .please help

maggie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

how about the SAR request then?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they have not supplied a copy of a credit agreement they are in default of the CCA .....and you are not obliged to pay them a penny also you are entitled to claim all the money back you have paid because they have been paid by you by mistake, in the mistaken belief that you had a credit agreement with them....monies paid by mistake are recoverable under law.

see below.....folks don't use these rulings often enough.

With regards to the doorstep vist write to them recorded delivery and tell them you do not wish a home vist and thatif they do after telling them ....you will call the police and have whoever calls arrested for trespass.

You are entitled to do this also by law ....provided you have notified them, that's why you must send the letter recorded delivery.

sparkie

Wilson v First Counties Trust wherein it was ruled that;

The creditor – by failing to ensure that he obtained a document signed by the debtor which contained all the prescribed terms – must (in the light of the provisions in sections 65(1) and 127(3) of the 1974 Act) be taken to have made a voluntary disposition, or gift, of the loan monies to the debtor. The creditor had chosen to part with the monies in circumstances in which it was never entitled to have them repaid;

"This would aso mean goods" sparkie

Section 127(1) of the 1974 Act is subject to the restrictions imposed by sections 127(3) and (4). Those subsections set out circumstances in which the court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) of the Act. In particular, section 127(3) is in these terms:

"The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner)."

It follows that in a case where there is no document signed by the debtor – or no document signed by the debtor which contains all the prescribed terms of the agreement – the court has no power to make an enforcement order. In such a case, the effect of sections 65(1) and 127(3) of the Act is that the agreement is not enforceable against the debtor.

This is further reinforced by

Wilson & Anor v Hurstanger Ltd.

Wherein the law Lords ruled;

Lord Justice Tucker said…..

Schedule 1 to the 1983 Regulations sets out the "information to be contained in documents embodying regulated consumer credit agreements". Some of this information mirrors the terms prescribed by schedule 6, but some does not. Contrasting the provisions of the two schedules the Judge said:

33. In my judgment the objective of Schedule 6 is to ensure that, as an inflexible condition of enforceability, certain basic minimum terms are included which the parties (with the benefit of legal advice if necessary) and/or the court can identify within the four corners of the agreement. Those minimum provisions combined with the requirement under section 61 that all the terms should be in a single document, and backed up by the provisions of section 127 (3), ensure that these core terms are expressly set out in the agreement itself: they cannot be orally agreed; they cannot be found in another document; they cannot be implied; and above all they cannot be in the slightest mis-stated. As a matter of policy, the lender is denied any room for manoeuvre in respect of them. On the other hand, they are basic provisions, and the only question for the court is whether they are, on a true construction, included in the agreement. More detailed requirements, which are designed to ensure that the debtor is made aware, so far as possible, of specified information (including information contained in the minimum terms) are to be found in Schedule 1.

Lord Justice Waller said;

I agree. The discretionary power under section 65 (1) to order enforcement of an agreement which does not comply with schedule 1 may be exercised on terms discharging the debtor from having to pay any sum payable under the agreement (section 127 (2)).

Lord Justice Jacob also agreed.

I would read this. Will you get payments back because of the lack of a credit agreement? b4 going for ur money back.

It is still best u go for a SAR thou as u will be able to offer a F+F

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Thanks Sparkie for your advice.Will find study it when I have 5 mins.

Godmother,I received documents from my SAR over 2 yrs ago.Trading standards and I and Tideturner,worked out what you suggested above,and with all their charges,plus the ppi,plus payments made,the amount came over the figure that they say the balance is left ,on this account.

They have already been informed of this by myself,and T/S.

Maggie

well go for it offer them the F+F and see what they say.

The Hurstanger case & ruling was April 2007 and this little bit below is very explicit and means that the debtor is not liable to repay any money back and therefore any he has paid shouldn't have been paid and is entitled to have it back, and especially where there is no agreement in the first place.

on terms discharging the debtor from having to pay any sum payable under the agreement (section 127 (2)).

sparkie

Hi Maggie,

Just got in from a late barbecue (taking advantage of the one afternoon of summer we've had this year).

Earlier information about Studio being none trading came from Companies House website - Websearch - which is available again in the morning.

It is highly likely that your debt has been sold onto these thugs, as part of a batch, or they are simply trying it on with as many accounts as possible to see who bites.

Without a CCA, they have no chance of recovery, and as this has been previously requested and they are out of time, they have now commited a criminal offence (Wescot). Any monies paid can be recovered.

I will reply in full tomorrow once the salmonella has worn off and I can get access to Companies House.

In the meantime, contemplate claiming all of your payments back plus interest (as there is no CCA).

Let me know if you need help with the letters.

Tide

Sparkie's right - if there is no credit agreement then there is NO DEBT. Not only should you not offer them any money, THEY SHOULD PAY YOU BACK ANYTHING YOU HAVE PAID.

Hi StoneLaughter,

That is my argument in a nutshell and the case law is there to back it up,

I have exactly the same issue with HBOS there is NO agreement at all and I have just sent the Exec office a request that they pay me back £1273.90, I have paid.....I stopped paying them in March 2006 they haven't taken me to court because there is no agreement, and they have admitted there isnt one.

I'll let everyone know how it progresses

sparkie

Sparkie

I am not saying your rite or wrong i just dont want ppl getting there hope up and then them being told that the ruling does not mean that as entertruped by a company.

do u have the link to the full document as i have googled it and cant find the exact one due to so many cases.

Tide just a question but if a company is non trading what does this mean to ppl that they claim owes them money?

Wilson & Anor v Hurstanger Ltd [2007] EWCA Civ 299 (04 April 2007)

theres the case GM,

I think its an issue of interpretation, my reading of the case is different to that of sparkie and it is my belief that to return monies paid would amount to the debtor being unjustly enriched and furthermore such an order for repayment would most likely be met by an order for return of goods or monies under the contract so that both parties were returned to their pre contract position

Thanks PT.

So it could just be that one person says it means one thing and another says it means another.

Now i dont think ppl should get there hopes up over this as it does have 2 arguements

Interesting that this relates to a mortagae refinace company. I would have thought it related to a catalogue company or something.

Edited by The GodMother

Thanks PT.

So it could just be that one person says it means one thing and another says it means another.

Now i dont think ppl should get there hopes up over this as it does have 2 arguements

Interesting that this relates to a mortagae refinace company. I would have thought it related to a catalogue company or something.

HI The GodMother,

Nice to discuss views as this is how we all learn, the only other thing I can add to add weight to the way I see it is what Francis Bennion had to say.

sparkie

F A R Bennion Website: Francis Bennion -

Doc. No. 2003.061 JPN008L 167 JPN (2003) 773

Any footnotes are shown at the bottom of each page

Consumer Credit Act 1974 s 127(3)

As the draftsman of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 I would like to thank Dr Richard Lawson for his interesting and well-argued article (30 August 2003) on Wilson v First County Trust

Ltd [2003] UKHL 40, [2003] 4 All ER 97.

Dr Lawson may be interested to know that I included the provision in question (section 127(3)) entirely on my own initiative. It seemed right to me that if the creditor company couldn’t be bothered to ensure that all the prescribed particulars were accurately included in the credit agreement it deserved to find it unenforceable, and that the court should not have power to relieve it from this penalty. Nobody queried this, and it went through Parliament without debate. I’m glad the House of Lords has now vindicated my reasoning.

167 Justice of the Peace (2003) 773.

HI The GodMother,

Nice to discuss views as this is how we all learn, the only other thing I can add to add weight to the way I see it is what Francis Bennion had to say.

sparkie

F A R Bennion Website: Francis Bennion -

Doc. No. 2003.061 JPN008L 167 JPN (2003) 773

Any footnotes are shown at the bottom of each page

Consumer Credit Act 1974 s 127(3)

As the draftsman of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 I would like to thank Dr Richard Lawson for his interesting and well-argued article (30 August 2003) on Wilson v First County Trust

Ltd [2003] UKHL 40, [2003] 4 All ER 97.

Dr Lawson may be interested to know that I included the provision in question (section 127(3)) entirely on my own initiative. It seemed right to me that if the creditor company couldn’t be bothered to ensure that all the prescribed particulars were accurately included in the credit agreement it deserved to find it unenforceable, and that the court should not have power to relieve it from this penalty. Nobody queried this, and it went through Parliament without debate. I’m glad the House of Lords has now vindicated my reasoning.

167 Justice of the Peace (2003) 773.

Hi Sparkie

I have spoken with FB on a number of issues and while i totally agree with the principle,which incidentally follows from the 1927 Money Lenders Act ,means that an agreement which is deficient cannot be enforced, it does not mean the contract becomes void or even voidable

i think the problem which you will struggle to over come is the issue of unjust enrichment, will the court consider it just and fair to return the monies paid by you under a contract???

i doubt it,

Chitty on Contracts, Goode Consumer Credit Law and practice and also Blackstones Civil Practice all support this view as well im afraid

i think that it would be a struggle to recover all monies paid under a contract

Regards

Paul

Now paul u can understyand why i asked u to look in as i thought u would have acess to case law others dont.

Tide just a question but if a company is non trading what does this mean to ppl that they claim owes them money?

GM.

Non-Trading actually has no legal meaning, but means that the company has ceased to actually do business. This does not mean that the company cannot have assets or liabilities, or that it cannot continue to pursue debts.

It is, however, likely that the company assets, including the client base, buildings, equipment, staff etc. have been transferred to another company with no liabilities.

In this case, the list of bad debtors appears to have been transferred to a DCA, probably sold at a percentage of the actual value, with the DCA now charged to recover as much as possible by bullying and threatening.

If they persist with Maggie, a severe letter will be sent to all parties and regulators to have this stopped.

In the absence of a CCA, Maggie should now issue a LBA and pursue any monies paid to them, over and above the costs of any actual goods purchased.

The main thing here is the STATUS of the company, which is showing as ACTIVE. This means the company can still carry out certain transactions despite being non-trading. If the company status is DORMANT, then the company can only make certain transactions eg. Company filing fees, change of name fees, and cannot generate any income whatsoever.

Companies are often declared as non-trading when times are bad, to protect the history, without sending the company under, and allowing time for the assets to be written off the books and transferred.

This is the case here, so off to Court we go, unless they refund Maggies money plus interest.

Tide

Sparkie, very interested in your stance, can you suggest a recovery strategy with up to date templates if possible (these seem to be changing daily, and you seem to have the bit between your teeth at the moment). Please PM me if necessary.

Now paul u can understyand why i asked u to look in as i thought u would have acess to case law others dont.

HI Paul and The God mother,

As I said its good to have other views but what I put forward is the fact that it is the latest ruling upon which other cases and claims can be based on, and as the Hurstanger Case is dated April 2007, that is the one that would be /should be relied on most, as it also refers to other cases and that is how the ruling was arrived at, in exactly the same way as the New Fraud Act has taken preference over the Old Theft Act and the Misrepresentation Act 1967 although some of the sections of those acts remains in force.

Anyway I'll let everyone know how sucessfull or unsuccessful my argument is after the HBOS have answered my claim for the money I have paid them without an agreement being in force.....as per the Hurstanger Case.............Wish me luck because if I suceed it will be to the benefit of al lot of people..

I will also use the argument that I cn'y be considered being unjustly enriched because the Wilson case says it is considered a "gift" ...gifts do not have to be repaid.:cool:

sparkie.

Edited by Sparkie1723

GM.

Non-Trading actually has no legal meaning, but means that the company has ceased to actually do business. This does not mean that the company cannot have assets or liabilities, or that it cannot continue to pursue debts.

It is, however, likely that the company assets, including the client base, buildings, equipment, staff etc. have been transferred to another company with no liabilities.

In this case, the list of bad debtors appears to have been transferred to a DCA, probably sold at a percentage of the actual value, with the DCA now charged to recover as much as possible by bullying and threatening.

If they persist with Maggie, a severe letter will be sent to all parties and regulators to have this stopped.

In the absence of a CCA, Maggie should now issue a LBA and pursue any monies paid to them, over and above the costs of any actual goods purchased.

The main thing here is the STATUS of the company, which is showing as ACTIVE. This means the company can still carry out certain transactions despite being non-trading. If the company status is DORMANT, then the company can only make certain transactions eg. Company filing fees, change of name fees, and cannot generate any income whatsoever.

Companies are often declared as non-trading when times are bad, to protect the history, without sending the company under, and allowing time for the assets to be written off the books and transferred.

This is the case here, so off to Court we go, unless they refund Maggies money plus interest.

Tide

Sparkie, very interested in your stance, can you suggest a recovery strategy with up to date templates if possible (these seem to be changing daily, and you seem to have the bit between your teeth at the moment). Please PM me if necessary.

I have replied to your Pm with the question the quote answers but not this one.

A non dormant company are they still ment to be sending out flyers for the catalogues, giving out credit and goods etc if times are bad?

They keep sending me cataqlogues and leafets full of stuff to buy and are even delivering goods to a neighbours house ( iam house sitting)

Hi Sparkie.

You are rite gifts dont have to be repaid but i can see both PTs and your argument.

Yes it can be classed as unjust enrichment as you had the money and the goods that you used the money for whether it was a loan, credit card or catalogue etc.

But yes your side of the arguement is also valid as they have not provided the agreement OR made sure the agreement was in the proper format OR even they had a agreement b4 they provided u the credit. So how can u be made to pay back the money owed and why should u have done so.

I am extremley interested in you application for te money back as it would in my view be testing the waters for us.

So who is going to test the water with the catalogue companies?

Tide

One thing o forgot to ask was you have said they are to refund maggies money.

Is this all the money she has paid or just charges?

Tide

One thing o forgot to ask was you have said they are to refund maggies money.

Is this all the money she has paid or just charges?

This will be all the money paid, plus charges, plus interest.

Are you sure the company who are sending out the flyers is the same company as the one you took out the contract with? Or are they simply using the same client list, and using STUDIO in their name? Sounds like two seperate legal entities, but cleverly trying to continue the brand name.

Oh no its defo studio cards.

the address on the leaflet is the same.

studio

preston

pr0 2bp.

Email addy is the same.

Studio catalogue home shopping - toys, gifts, games, home & discount clothing

advertising the christmas book 2008

telephone number is a number i have not seen B4 but the rest is identical. This is because it is a new number I have just checked the website and it is the number for New customers to ring.

It even gives this info Studio is a division of Express Gifts Limited Registered office: burnley house Bradford Road burnley in wharfdale, west yorks LS29 7DZ. even the DPA statement in small print in the same as the one i recieved last year about the same time.

Even the registered company number is the same.

If this is not legit then it is a very good fake cause i cant find any fault with it.

Edited by The GodMother
Adding info.

!!!

The WebCHeck service is available from Monday to Saturday 7.00am to 12 Midnight UK Time

Name & Registered Office:

STUDIO CARDS LIMITED

BURLEY HOUSE BRADFORD ROAD

BURLEY IN WHARFEDALE

ILKLEY

WEST YORKSHIRE

LS29 7DZ

Company No. 00672275

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifStatus: Active

Date of Incorporation: 11/10/1960

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7499 - Non-trading company

Accounting Reference Date: 31/03

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/03/2007 (DORMANT)

Next Accounts Due: 31/01/2009

Last Return Made Up To: 20/07/2008

Next Return Due: 17/08/2009

Last Members List: 20/07/2008

Previous Names:No previous name information has been recorded over the last 20 years.Branch Details There are no branches associated with this company.Oversea Company Info There are no Oversea Details associated with this company.

well that is interesting do u want me to post what i have in fron of me up here so u can see it.

also what is strange is the date of incorperation is different to the date on the studio website.

Does that mean anything? it says it was set up in 1962