Here to help...animal/pets help and advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4668 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wanted to giove something back to this amazing forum, so many people offering advce and help, i dont no much but i DO no a lot about animals, pets animal welfare..So if you have a problem please feel to ask me.Hope this is ok with the mods x

sounds great. Thanks.

That's what this forum is really about. Everybody chips in with the experience all the knowledge that they have in order to help others

Lovely idea xx

Can I ask my daughter keeps pet rats and they are gorgeous. Lately two males who live in same cage as much as adore and cuddle up whenever can seem to be scrapping like summos. One rat seems to have war wounds as in scabs on kneck and back and although not serious, need to know wether is just playing dominance or does it sound like they will need sperating. If seperated will they be okay as in not too lonely , thanks in advance.

This sub-forum may be of interest to you then

Pets and Vets

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

My dog will just not shut up. Ever.

I keep threatening to divorce her.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

RATS......Occasionally male rats can become aggressive towards humans and other rats at about 3-12 months of age (what age are yours?) they can scent mark and drip urine when they walk (nice!) Your best bet is to having him castrated, or to keep him with the other male only, rats are social creatures and love to play so make sure they have plenty of enrichment, rats also respond really well to clicker training.Rats also can suffer with skin problems caused either by mites or dietary problem, you can see the mites and only a vet check will tell you that but best to find out, so you can treat him for the mites or change his diet, it might be bites from scapping with the other one if so aloe vera is very soothing on the skin. Hope that helps xDog barking is an totally different issue! And can be caused by so many things. If it is a real issue then I would suggest seeing a behaviour expert, it would be wrong of me to give out advice with out seeing the dog and taking a full blown life history.Can I just add that I have a good few years experience in animal behaviour having undertaken courses at the natural animal centre in equine science and ethology, I am a clicker trainer and also take in injured wildlife for rehab and release, Running an animal sanctuary I can help anyone who has decided to part company with a pet (am not here to judge anyone as I understand so many people are feeling the pinch) but I will also help where I can, I have many contacts. Thanks for showing me the other forum, was not sure where to post my “here to help” thread .Debs x

Debbie,, I know you spoke about seeing a dog behaviourist on the said barking but can you give me some advice in my little Jack Russell dog? Hes a very good house dog as he warns of anyone as they go by the window, and if anyone is at the door. He cann ot see whos coming along and whenver the postperson gets about 500 yards from our house the dog although he is in the back garden and cannot see anything at the front barks and barks and wont shut up. We have seen the Dog Whisperer programme on tele and the other one that we get over here with that lady and have tried many things to distract him but he doesnt comply. We have tried ignoring him and spraying with water and the whistle blowing but nothing works. I know that jack russell dogs are known for yapping etc but I thought by now.. ( hes 4 years old) he would quieten down). Any advice would be grateful. Thanks for reading,.

Debbie,, I know you spoke about seeing a dog behaviourist on the said barking but can you give me some advice in my little Jack Russell dog? Hes a very good house dog as he warns of anyone as they go by the window, and if anyone is at the door. He cann ot see whos coming along and whenver the postperson gets about 500 yards from our house the dog although he is in the back garden and cannot see anything at the front barks and barks and wont shut up. We have seen the Dog Whisperer programme on tele and the other one that we get over here with that lady and have tried many things to distract him but he doesnt comply. We have tried ignoring him and spraying with water and the whistle blowing but nothing works. I know that jack russell dogs are known for yapping etc but I thought by now.. ( hes 4 years old) he would quieten down). Any advice would be grateful. Thanks for reading,.

Ok your first mistake is “trying many things” this is a trap that owners get into when trying to prevent unwanted behaviour.Find a way you are comfortable with and stick to it. I like positive reinforcement (clicker training) also a MUST HAVE BOOK for every dog owner is “don’t shoot the dog” by Karen pryor, you can get it from Amazon for a few quid. Right dog barking ….Its the postman syndrome! Postman shoves letter through the door, dog barks postman walks away, dog is self rewarding himself for removing the scary postman from his house! The key is postie walks away! This is learned behaviour and self reinforcing, the trigger now is the front door, also if your postie comes at the same time (there or abouts) he will recognise the sounds that the postie makes, could be a squeak of the bike spokes to the sound of his van, It will always be self rewarding to him to bark and “remove” the postie from HIS property. The main issue with the postman syndrome is the dog never gets to meet postie! I am happy to give you advice but not on a forum, feel free to PM me and I can give you my number and we can have a chat.Debs x

Thanks will keep an eye. Daughter has in two cages five males(3+2) in total and in another two cages three females(2+1). They re kept really clean and dont smell, but will consider wether remi and cappi, the oldest need theh snip first as they are built like brick houses and just so so cute, will keep eye next week and if remi is still looking worse off will take them to the vets.

Daughter says remi keeps trying to nick capies food despite them both getting plenty and equal, as in will give each rat a peice of chicken and remi will gobble his and try to nick cappis.

Think cappi is peed off with the piggy in the cage, hahahaha :)

I think I will ring up vets anyhow and get prepared how much to have two rats done first, then prepare to sort the others. We rehomed them all and probably time we got the one girl checked over, she is fine but was rehomes as blind due to born with wone eye enlarged and cant see, however she I think is not blind as has at least vision from one eye and is quite an gymnist of a rat hanging from one leg from roof etc....

Anyway better prepare daughter they have to have the op, ouch....:)

I think it's great you've put yourself forward for advice on animals. I'll keep you in mind for my babies. Don't suppose you have a degree in cat psychology. Mine are both mental, and before any of you say anything, yes I know it cause they live with me :???:

I think it's great you've put yourself forward for advice on animals. I'll keep you in mind for my babies. Don't suppose you have a degree in cat psychology. Mine are both mental, and before any of you say anything, yes I know it cause they live with me :???:

lol..i dont as it happens but i do live with 22 cats! So ask away xxx