• Tweets

• Bankfodder thanks for your help and yes i am about 90 miles from the garage i have requested the advert from autotrader  waiting for that back.  the dealer is a garage and taxi /minibus firm with a big unit i have taken screen shots of the stock and sales on ebay  and cars for sale on autotrader i have a reciept for my purchase signed etc  so yes i know 30 days is up but like you said its the enforcing it may be an issue but ill take it up to the highcourt as seen on tv lol 
    • Letter said 10 going across company, 2 from cad team. Only 2 have been scored. Essentially I would have stayed but now my position is untenable I feel, how could I go back after being mistreated like this. So yes, I want more compensation because its been an unfair process.    We don't have a union. 
    • So your desired outcome is "going, but more money"?   How many people are leaving in total? Has a union or reps agreed the redundancy terms?
    • I can certainly see why your son booked there.  The place has rave reviews from previous guests.  I'm surprised they are being so unprofessional with your son.   On their page under "Questions" they've written   Hi there! On the booking listing on the search page it says free cancellation, however when I go to book it says non refundable. Please can you confirm whether there is free cancellation on this for November bookings? Thanks!   Hello, Our cancellation policy is free cancellation upto 60 days before arrival. However if White Cross Bay has to close due to a second lockdown, we will re schedule your stay or offer a full refund.   I would suggest your son write to them through Booking.com's internal messaging system (Bookings > Owls House > Contact the property) and if they don't reply within 48 hours demand that Booking.com intervene.    N.B.  After a certain amount of time and/or a certain amount of bookings this internal messaging system ceases to work for old bookings so it might fail, but, hey, it's worth a try, it'll only take 10 minutes..   On their COVID Info. page Booking.com go on about bookings after 6 April, basically saying that after that date everyone knows about COVID and that travelling is a risk so it's a good idea to book places that offer free cancellation.  However, before that date - which would apply to your son - I'm pretty sure they had some scheme where you could cancel even if not normally allowed.  Sorry to be vague, but again this is worth looking into.   I suggest these things on a "belt & braces" basis. Obviously keep fighting to get the money back through the Halifax as others have suggested!
    • Typical defence that you would expect in response...reads rather like a witness statement than a defence.   Be wary of point 25 .....are you currently indebted to the agreement ?.....they are relying on CPR 16.6 to use a set off defence.   Andy
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Nationwide building society - issued judgements over old loan

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3366 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Firstly, some while since I've been on here so apologies straightaway to Mods if I've posted in the wrond place.

In 1999 we took an unsecured loan with Nationwide for £15K. We paid approx £6K off it but then ran into major financial difficulties. The loan was eventually sold on to DCAs and did the rounds, as they do. Each time we were contacted, I sent the standard 'prove it' letter with no particular result and so it went on over the years. In early 2010 Nationwide themselves got in touch to say they wanted the loan paid off or they would take court action. I wrote several times and asked them for a copy of the original signed loan agreement. This did not appear despite a number of requests, and Nationwide were extremely vague about the whole thing. All went quiet. Then, this year, around March/April, Nationwide got back in touch again to say they wanted the loan paid off or they would take court action. I wrote again and asked for a copy of the original, signed, loan agreement.

Nationwide then wrote back to say they could no longer locate the original signed agreement, but also sent some court papers out. I went back to point out that without a signed original, in my belief, any proposed action would not stand in court (but like a fool didn't send the court docs back). Eventually, we were sent an UNSIGNED print of a loan agreement naming us and giving details of a loan. The Nationwide people stated that in their belief this represented a 'reconstitued' loan agreement and that any action would stand. Whilst I was still trying to get advice about this, Nationwide took us to court without our knowledge and obtained judgements, the details of which we received in the post yesterday.

Firstly, grateful for any views on whether printing a new loan document without our signatures can constitute an agreement. This strikes me as just 'making up' an agreement, which could be done to anyone, not just us!!

Secondly, we have never ever had a judgement made against us and I am not sure what to do next. Should I speak to Nationwide and seek a payment agreement? The court document says I have 4 days to find £9K, which just isn't going to happen!! Surely Nationwide can't just send the bailiffs in without giving us some chance to find the money? Should I try and strike a compromise deal?

Really grateful for any steers - I really feel we have been treated wrongly here and that Nationwide's action has been unethical.

Many thanks,

Norfolkboy

Firstly, you don't have to worry about the loan agreement or what they supplied (or didn't) supply.

If you never received the Court papers you can apply for a set aside, this will bring the action back to the start of the claim.

Jogs

Jogs,

Cheers - but we did receive court paperwork.....I just didn't return it because I was so convinced that a lack of an original signed agreement would nullify any action they might take. They just didn't notify us that the court action was actually happening (ie, the date/time). Where does that leave us?? Can I still apply for a set-aside?

Thanks again.

Norfolkboy

Queen's Bench Division, Manchester Mercantile Court 23 December 2009

The CMCs raised a number of different issues which were covered in the judgment, covering mostly whether copy agreement rules were satisfied in relation to credit card agreements (s.78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974). In summary, the findings were:

1. s.78 is satisfied if a reconstituted version of the agreement is provided, even where this generated using sources other than the agreement itself;
  2. the s.78 copy must include the name and address information as per the original agreement;
  3. the document provided under s.78 need not comply with the form of the signable agreement;
  4. the creditor must under s.78 provide a copy of any changed terms, or a copy of the amended agreement, in addition to the terms in the original agreement;
  5. a breach of s.78 does not on its own generate the possibility of an unfair relationship;
  6. it is up to a court whether it makes a declaration that s.78 is breached, depending on the circumstances which it finds;
  7. it is a matter of fact whether an agreement is complete with all its prescribed content, but is acceptable for there to be more than one sheet comprising an agreement;
  8. those cases claiming an unfair relationship should be struck out as merely speculative. There was no evidence on which a claim could be made.