Help, dementia sufferer sent back home

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The doctor has told my mother in law that my father in law must go into care, as she is now looking unwell, on top of all this my sister in law is currently undergoing chemotherapy, so even more stress for her.

Earlier this week, I think it was respite, they left my father in law in a care home that has special care for dementia sufferers, a little sigh of relief for my mother in law and my sister in law to have a little breathing space.

Later that day, I think, they sent my father in law back home in handcuffs by the police!! Saying he was getting very agitated.

Why have a care home for dementia sufferers, then send him home as not being able to cope with him.

All this has really upset everyone, doesn't anyone care anymore?*

Where do we go now?

Terry

In handcuffs! Wow thats disgraceful, I guess the home was for dementia sufferers but unable to give drugs to alleviate the condition. If thats what he needed rather than someone who is capable at dealing with such people. I am sure someone will advice shortly, be patient for them to help.

My father in law wento into a home for 2 weeks respite but escaped and ended up in hospital drugged up, went from able to walk 25 miles with me to steptoe in a day!

My own dad was getting difficult at home so went into a home and although not all the staff were experienced enough to help him without getting abuse, the top nurse there was very good with him although he had to be mildly sedated on a daily basis. The respite place my F-in-Law went into really wasnt suited for dementia AT ALL and could give drugs etc. He shouldn`t have gone there.

Its a very tough time for you I know. Good luck in the mean time. Andy

Do you have any answers to questions yet?

Get back to the GP and, if they were involved, Social Services.

Also, maybe contact your local Patient Liaison Service to see if your mother in law/ your wife have any recourse to complaint and what can be put right.

Maybe also contact the police to find out exactly why it was considered necessary to handcuff your father in law because that could have caused more than distress for the family, but could have knocked him back considerably.

Remember it's not just now that the problem has occurred but that over time, this incident may well come back to haunt him and cause a worsening of his condition.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, sorry it's been awhile, and thanks for your words of support.

Now for an update, the handcuffs were not used, mother-in-law trying to to make us smile, although he was brought home in a police car, but the police were ok, as they had done this type of work before!

Father-in-law back in hospital having assessments as to what drugs will help, and what type of care he will need. In all probability, he will need to go into a nursing home as my mother-in-law says she cannot cope. She had carers coming in twice a day, but he has defo got worse. On top of this some of his clothes have gone missing at the hospital where he is!