• Tweets

• Hi all, Love this site and it's no nonsense advice, have dipped in and out of the consumer forums over the years, mostly to assure myself that what I was doing was the right thing when dealing with various businesses (almost 100% success rate, thanks in part to reading and more reading here.). Anyway, the time is almost approaching where I might need to ask for some specific help and I have a couple of queries that I can't see definitively answered. Due to financial mismanagement and severe anxiety issues I stopped paying all unsecured debt in December 2018 (one slipped to the first week in Jan 2019 when the last payment was made having rechecked my bank statement from that period - all my unsecured debt direct debits were cancelled in early Jan 2019). This has left half a dozen debts;  a couple of credit cards, a bank loan, Shop Direct and some Hitachi Finance stuff having been sold on and passing the rounds through the usual suspects, Lowells, Link, PRA Group, others related to them, and then back to them again. I have somehow successfully managed to maintain radio silence and avoided anything more worrying than their begging letters.  I have blocked their phone calls and texts, bumped all emails to the spambox and had a chuckle at their desperate letters.  I've never had anybody at the door.  I have been at the same address since before I defaulted and all correspondence comes to my current home address.  I have NEVER contacted them or admitted any debt. In anticipation of them perhaps ramping up action at the last minute I've had a look at my credit report on Credit Karma (rec'd from this very place) and I see that the default dates on these range from May 2019 to November 2019. Also in preperation I've been reading, reading and reading lots here as advised. Obviously being in Scotland there are a lot fewer posts relating to these matters and it's always quite annoying when OP's do not follow up with any outcome on their cases - how rude! This has also left me a bit confused of when I am able to finally breathe easy (although cancelling all the direct debits in Jan 2019 was the biggest sigh of relief as I knew it was all going to be unmanageable and, well, default one, default all.). I've been reading that defaults should be filed 3-6 months after the missed payment but one of my larger debts was defaulted on 27th August 2019 when the last payment I made was 10th December 2018, meaning the first missed payment was 10th Jan 2019.   My query for now is - when should I infer that these debts are prescribed?  From when the payment was missed, or taking the default date plus 5 years from the credit report?   The three I have with the May date are moot anyway as either way they are gone - some letters from Lowell offering me 90% off to settle is what got me thinking these must have been near SB status, however I have one big 10k+ with a July date and another 10k+ at the end of August so I am feeling a bit anxious again, even though I know there is nothing to worry about with the begging letters.  Reading the various forums I am not sure why the OC's didn't take action against me when I read time and again the surprise that other posters haven't already been taken to court for lesser amounts - I'm also surprised I've avoided any action this long as there are plenty in this forum and sub forum who are whisked off to the court by the beggers minions after only a year or so after defaulting.  There are no CCJ/decrees listed on my credit report and I have not received any such judgements against me.  I still just regularly receive the begging emails to the spambox, the blocked phone calls and the letters from the they.   I'm also reading that there is no need in Scotland to send an LBC so what should I be looking out for to know that the time has come to engage with CCA requests etc?   I'm afraid in a fit I threw a lot of the paperwork out but I have a box of stuff I'm going to go through which may have the original letters from the OC's.   Thanks in advance for any advice.  
    • I'm at work now but promise to look in later. Can you confirm how you paid the first invoice?  It wasn't your fault if the signal was so poor and there was no alternative way to pay.  There must be a chance of reversing the charge with your bank.  There are no guarantees but Kev  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09766749/officers  has never had the backbone to do court so far.  Not even in one case,  
    • OK  so you may not have outed yourself if you said "we". No matter either way you paid. Snotty letter I am surprised that they were so quick off the mark threatening Court. They usually take months to go that far. No doubt that as you paid the first one they decided to strike quickly and scare you into paying. Dear Chuckleheads  aka Alliance,  I am replying to your LOCs You may have caught me the first time but that is  the end. What a nasty organisation you are. You do realise that you now have now no reason to continue to pursue me after reading my appeal since you know that my car was not cloned. Any further pursuit will end up with a complaint to the ICO that you are breaching my GDPR.  Please confirm that you have removed my details from your records. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I haven't gone for a snotty letter this time as they know that you paid for your car in another car park. So using a shot across their bows .  If it doesn't deter them and they send in the debt collectors or the Court you will then be able to get more money back from them for  breachi.ng your data protection than they will get should they win in Court-and they have no chance of that as you have paid. So go in with guns blazing and they might see sense.  Although never underestimate how stupid they are. Or greedy.
    • Thank you. Such a good point. They did issue all 3 before I paid though. I only paid one because I didn’t have proof of parking that time, only for two others.    Unfortunately no proof of my appeal as it was just submitted through a form on their website and no copy was sent to me. I only have the reply. I believe I just put something like “we made the honest mistake of using the incorrect parking area on the app” and that’s it. Thanks again for your help. 
    • They are absolute chuckleheads. You paid but because you entered a different car park site also belonging to them they are pursuing you despite them knowing what you had done. It would be very obvious to everyone, including Alliance that your car could not have been in two places at the same time. Thank you for posting the PCN so quickly making it a pity that you appealed since there are so many things wrong with it that you as keeper are not liable to pay the charge. They rarely accept appeals since that would mean they lose money but they have virtually no chance of beating you in Court. Very unlikely that they will take you to Court given the circumstances. Just in case you didn't out yourself as the driver could you please post up your appeal.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sarajane -v- Barclays @ Mercantile

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Well as Bankfodder has been kind enough to start a thread, here goes.

My case was kindly :eek: transferred to the Mercantile court at the local District Judges' own discretion this last week.

I wouldn't mind but it's only for £798, but with Bankfodder's help & Twinkle's support ( many thanks to you both :D ), I'll get thro' this.

Sorry for the delay Pete, early-ish night & out walking across Wye & North Downs today :D

Well, here's my thread so far

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/6839-sarajane-barclays.html

As you can see, quite straightforward - no complications as Bankfodder says :D . I don't know where I'd be without his help:p .

Thanks.

As you say, no complications or pressure there then.

I am not impressed by this turn of events by the courts! Plays right into the banks hands IMO.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Hmm I'm not so sure it plays into the Banks hands, from what I've read the banks settle beforehand to stop any full disclosure etc.... However having filed my N1 against barclays last week I'm worried I'll end up in the same boat too. Is it just cases against Barclays so far who seem to be taking this route?

Hmm I'm not so sure it plays into the Banks hands, from what I've read the banks settle beforehand to stop any full disclosure etc.... However having filed my N1 against barclays last week I'm worried I'll end up in the same boat too. Is it just cases against Barclays so far who seem to be taking this route?

I mean that it plays into the banks hands in the sense that other cases currently in the County Court system will no doubt get stayed awaiting a verdict from the Mercantile Court (as a test case). The problem is that no verdict will ever be achieved because the banks will still eventually settle but it will become a constant drip-feed of cases going to the Mercantile court so there'll always be one "in the oven" upon which the lower courts will be waiting.

In a nutshell everyone will possibly have to wait much longer to get their refunds.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Hi Team.

By going down this route,it is the court system trying to get the 'Test Case' for the claims through,as all of these claims have clogged up the system.This move is not to the banks advantage,and i predict they will turn and run soon.You should get a payout out of court.If the bank goes to court,then Full Disclosure of the true costs to them will have to be presented.They won't want that to come out.Also the amount in question is a small claims issue,and you can't be expected to pay the other parties fees if you lose.Have a look at:

Sandy vs Gmac Rfc

Not sure how to link it on here yet,but it is interesting reading.

Hope this helps.

Ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi Team.

By going down this route,it is the court system trying to get the 'Test Case' for the claims through,as all of these claims have clogged up the system.This move is not to the banks advantage,and i predict they will turn and run soon.You should get a payout out of court.If the bank goes to court,then Full Disclosure of the true costs to them will have to be presented.They won't want that to come out.Also the amount in question is a small claims issue,and you can't be expected to pay the other parties fees if you lose.Have a look at:

Sandy vs Gmac Rfc

Not sure how to link it on here yet,but it is interesting reading.

Hope this helps.

Ukaviator

I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise.

But my point is that thousand of other cases on the normal County Court Small Claims Track will probably now be stayed awaiting a Mercantile Court verdict that will never happen. We all know that the longer a case takes the more claimants drop out of the loop so it is in that sense that this move plays into the banks hands.

Pete

Right, now I see your point.... if the claims are 'stayed' does this mean they're put to one side to be dealt with later? Can the courts legally do this and is they a time scale for claims to be 'stayed' before they have to b dealt with?

Personally I've filed my N1, I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes, it's costing Barclays daily interest after all!!

Right, now I see your point.... if the claims are 'stayed' does this mean they're put to one side to be dealt with later? Can the courts legally do this and is they a time scale for claims to be 'stayed' before they have to b dealt with?

Personally I've filed my N1, I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes, it's costing Barclays daily interest after all!!

The court can "stay" a case for a number of reasons, one reason being that a case is already proceeding in a court of higher authority and a verdict in that case would set a precedent one way or the other. If a case in the mercantile Court got to a verdict then all the county courts would view that verdict as gospel truth, any cases then still going through the county court would almost automatically be granted the same way as the test case was.

There is no time limit - if the mercantile case took 5 years (OK, OK I know, unlikely in the extreme) then the county court cases would be stayed 5 years.

A few weeks back another case was referred to the Mercantile Court

Bank refunds put on ice by court | This is Money

and a lot of County Courts did stay all the other cases. The bank settled out of court (surprise, surprise) but it took ages (weeks) for that news to filter back down to the circuit judges - cases were still being stayed weeks afterwards.

Your case, as all the others will get sorted eventually but this puts an extra loop in the system.

Pete

Hello - I have to agree with Pete on this. While it's not to the banks' advantage to go to hearing where there is full disclosure, I have no doubt that many proceedings will now be stayed following submission of AQ pending the hearing of a test case in the Mercantile Court. I think that it's highly unlikely that any test case will ever get to hearing - but in the meantime it will mean that all cases which have been stayed are effectively in "limbo". While cases are stayed, there is no reason for the banks to go out of their way to try to settle. If this is the case, then a new stage will be added to the process - applying to the court to overturn the stay.

This is the position that I (and a few others) are in with the Cardiff County Court at the moment. As soon as the stay was ordered, I have no doubt that my file went right to the bottom of the pile at my bank's solicitors - until the test-case in Cardiff is heard/settled, I really have no bargaining strength. Stadium_arcadium has applied to overturn her stay (not sure whether just by letter or using correct form) but the court has indicated informally that she will need to wait until the outcome of the Cardiff test case. Even when this particular test case is settled, I suspect that the courts will merely pick another case (and another and so on) as a test case.

I guess we all need to remember that patience is a virtue....

Purp72

Hello - I have to agree with Pete on this. While it's not to the banks' advantage to go to hearing where there is full disclosure, I have no doubt that many proceedings will now be stayed following submission of AQ pending the hearing of a test case in the Mercantile Court. I think that it's highly unlikely that any test case will ever get to hearing - but in the meantime it will mean that all cases which have been stayed are effectively in "limbo". While cases are stayed, there is no reason for the banks to go out of their way to try to settle. If this is the case, then a new stage will be added to the process - applying to the court to overturn the stay.

This is the position that I (and a few others) are in with the Cardiff County Court at the moment. As soon as the stay was ordered, I have no doubt that my file went right to the bottom of the pile at my bank's solicitors - until the test-case in Cardiff is heard/settled, I really have no bargaining strength. Stadium_arcadium has applied to overturn her stay (not sure whether just by letter or using correct form) but the court has indicated informally that she will need to wait until the outcome of the Cardiff test case. Even when this particular test case is settled, I suspect that the courts will merely pick another case (and another and so on) as a test case.

I guess we all need to remember that patience is a virtue....

Purp72

We need to keep an eye on happenings.

If a few of these "test cases" get taken to the brink and then settled out of court by the banks then we need to be letting the courts know this. The banks cannot be allowed to abuse the court system in such a way.

There must be some form of procedure for dealing with this, I'll do some research.

Is it possible to bring a private prosecution for Contempt of Court or something similar?

Pete

Have rang & spoke to Listings dept at Mercantile again & spoke to Dan Pope.

Under the Commercial Court Guide http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/docs/guide.pdf

under section M2.3, as I am a litigant in person, it is upto the defence to supply all paperwork that the court will require.

I am going to fax Mr Jeremiah to point this out & hopefully invoke panick on their part & then send a copy of letter & fax receipt to Court, as my proof.:)

This only is because we've got to the Mercantile.

Thanks file_wizard, this is what he meant by getting all the pleas in..

Rightio

Bankfodder helped me draft me final letter to Mr J.

Before I formally accept you offer, it occurs to me that as this case has been allocated to the multi track that I am also entitled to recover my costs of preperation.

You have not mentioned this to me despite the fact that under Section M of the Commercial Court Guide, it is clear that as a professional lawyer you have a duty to consider and to inform me as to my interests in the case, even if this puts you at some disadvantage. This is becuase I am acting as a litigant in person, as you well know.

I believe that I am entitled to my reasonably costs of preperation of the case and that the official rate maybe £9.25 per hour.

Please will you let me know if this is the case. My conservative estimate of my time since I started to begin my claim against Barclays Bank PLC is that I have spent at least 25 hours in reading, preperation and writing and most recently, preparing for Mondays Mercantile hearing which you have abandoned.

If you can assure me that I have no such entitlement to costs, then I accept the offer that you proposed to me. On the other hand, if I do have such an entitlement then I require that you add the approved hourly rate for 25 hours to the settlement figure.

I would also warn you that I shall make this rate and your duty to advise litigants in person, to all the other claimants whose cases have also been transferred to the multi track.

Even if I am wrong, I would be gratefull if you would let me know which of the Civil Proceedure rules deals with this matter. I believe that it will contained in CPR48 and PD48.

Just waiting to hear back now.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awww, go on, SJ, on tenterhooks here!!!!

All bets are open, Ladies & Gentlemen, on the content of the e-mail... I pick "F&F settlement!" :-D

this is what he offered

I refer to our telephone conversation today.

As you will have seen from our Defence, we consider that your claim lacks merit and that it will fail. In particular, we disagree with your legal analysis that the charges levied to your account with Barclays amount to penalty clauses and are unfair. We do, however, recognise that the sum at issue between us is relatively modest and as such, it is not cost effective for either party to take this matter to trial. Therefore, in order to avoid the inevitable time and cost associated with pursuing the claim to trial, we agreed to settle your claim upon payment of the charges applied to your account, together with statutory interest and costs totalling £819.00, subject to the terms set out in this letter.

The offer to pay £819.00 is in full and final settlement of your claim and is strictly without any admission of liability on our part.

If you agree to the terms of this letter, please respond by return email, whereupon I will pass on the instruction for the payment to be made to your account. You will also need to notify theMedway and Mercantile Courts, in writing, that you have discontinued your claim against us. Please forward a copy of your letter to the Court when you return a signed copy of this letter to us.

Should you decide to reject this offer, then we reserve the right to disclose this letter to the court.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I would also warn you that I shall make this rate and your duty to advise litigants in person, to all the other claimants whose cases have also been transferred to the multi track.

There's words missing there, luv.

=> I shall make this information available about this rate and your duty ... etc... surely?

There's words missing there, luv.

=> I shall make this information available about this rate and your duty ... etc... surely?

Well you'll have to smack BF wrists, he's a bit excitable when dictating letters you know:D

'Fraid it's already winging it's way accross email land

Well, just had 2 nice conversations with Mr J.

Apparently he didn't get my email but I read it to him anyway. He rang back after checking up & confimed Bankfodder was right ( pat on the back dear).

We have agreed a figure & hopefully, I'll be a little bit richer tomorrow.:grin: Well, it'll reduce the overdraft a bit :( 8-)

I did tell him about other claimants & Judge Mackie wanting them heard together.8-)

Thanks a million to all who have helped me & supported me. I'll donate & fill survey tomorrow:grin: