• Tweets

• Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
    • V important you read lots of BMW threads too !  
    • So should I send them a new SAR and put my date of birth on it? Or do I need to send them some proof? Driving license? 
    • Thanks so much for your help!! I've emailed them, and when they reply saying they can't do it I'll reply and state my rights. I'm so glad I found this forum, and will read all of the posts I can find and help guides available for the future. Really can't thank you enough.
    • utter BS, doesn't matter you signed it. pers i'd be writing as per the other threads here rejecting the car as not as described under CRA etc and be done with it. as its a debit card you could also do a full chargeback within 120 days to your bank and simply dump the car back to BMW. 100's of like threads to read here. get your ducks inline. make sure you know what you are doing and off you go. dont take any BS from BMW, no matter what you sign it does NOT remove your consumer rights. p'haps it might be on the off chance you are a good manager , a quick phonecall tomorrow saying you dont want it because (no bla bla fitted) it might be resolved in 5 mins..i will guess to date you not tried
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bank taken all my benefits.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4715 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have had advice with the CCCS re my debts from various creditors through being off work due to a car accident last year. since then I have reached retirement age and now receive a pension, I fought for pension credit too for 7 months, which I have only just received a backdated payment from them. Due to living on the poverty line and trying to pay my monthly agreements, I have found it hard to manage. I have been bullied by the said companies, suffered from terrible depression and feel like giving up!!!!! To top it all, I have just found out that Barclaycard have taken ALL my backdated money without my consent, out of my account, now I do not have a penny to my name and do not know what to do!! I have NO MONEY to live on and none left to pay anyone else. PLEASE HELP I AM AT MY WITS END, can I get it back??????????

I am so stressed, so dont know if this made sense

Thank you

4 threads merged

there was only the need to start ONE.....

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ring them and demand it back

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have a read thought this

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?36790-Is-the-bank-taking-your-Benefits

You also need to open another account with a bank that has no association with any of your creditor. Get all your money from all sources paid in to the new account, that way YOU have control over it.

If you don't open another account this will happen again and again everytime your benefits are paid in.

Thank you for your reply, I have been advised that they are NOT allowed to take benefit money, is this correct? I was already paying them a monthly repayment plan through a DCA, even the DCA have said they need to look into it as they also do not understand how or why the bank has done this, when they were collecting the money on the Banks behalf???

I have tried to call the bank, but they have basically told me to sling my hook!!!!!

Get the right of appropriation letter off to the bank (letter is in the link on my post above)

Get another account opened and get everything paid in to that one.

Barclays have a legal right under the 'right to offest rule' to pay outstanding debt within the same banking group from monies held in ANY account within that group (ie Barclaycard) but not from state benefits

Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bancrupcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

** inaliable = not to be forfeited.

------------------------------------------------

Basically they can't take your benefit money for overdrafts or debts, and if they have you can demand it back !

Contact the Benefits Processing Centre that deals with your payments and tell them the bank has taken ALL your benefits and you have nothing to live on.

Have just rang the DWP and they said that the bank can just take the money :-((((( What do I do now???

My original post

I have reached retirement age and now receive a pension, I fought for pension credit too for 7 months, which I have only just received a backdated payment from them. Due to living on the poverty line and trying to pay my monthly agreements, I have found it hard to manage. I have been bullied by the said companies, suffered from terrible depression and feel like giving up!!!!! To top it all, I have just found out that Barclaycard have taken ALL my backdated money without my consent, out of my account, now I do not have a penny to my name and do not know what to do!! I have NO MONEY to live on and none left to pay anyone else.

I was already paying them a monthly repayment plan through a DCA, even the DCA have said they need to look into it as they also do not understand how or why the bank has done this, when they were collecting the money on the Banks behalf???

I have tried to call the bank, but they have basically told me to sling my hook!!!!!

Have just rang the DWP and they said that the bank can just take the money :-((((( What do I do now???

My original post

I have reached retirement age and now receive a pension, I fought for pension credit too for 7 months, which I have only just received a backdated payment from them. Due to living on the poverty line and trying to pay my monthly agreements, I have found it hard to manage. I have been bullied by the said companies, suffered from terrible depression and feel like giving up!!!!! To top it all, I have just found out that Barclaycard have taken ALL my backdated money without my consent, out of my account, now I do not have a penny to my name and do not know what to do!! I have NO MONEY to live on and none left to pay anyone else.

I was already paying them a monthly repayment plan through a DCA, even the DCA have said they need to look into it as they also do not understand how or why the bank has done this, when they were collecting the money on the Banks behalf???

Pulse i have sent a request to the site team to create a new thread for you, that way you will get the help and advice you need. where as your post would actually get lost on this thread. Will chip in with advice once your post has been put in its own new thread.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Right Pulse.

What we need to know is the following:

Banks Name?

DCA's?

What the Debt was for i.e. Credit Card, Loan, Bank Charges?

Then we can advise accordingly.

@Cerberusalert

Thanks

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Hi Pulse,

If you go back to the other thread, I've answered you there, about calling FOS immediately. They have helped me get my money back within hours when barclaycard did the same to me on several occasions.

Secondly, I suggested you should open a basic bank account. You can set one up at the Co-operative bank over the phone. Get the benefits paid there, and barclaycard won't be able to touch them. :-)

DD

If this is a barclaycard debt. then the bank has unlawfully taken the money in breach of -

Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bancrupcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

** inaliable = not to be forfeited.

As stated by Alfwithhair in an earlier post.

They are only entitled to take your benefits to cover bank charges (not covered by section 187 apparently though i argue differently), not credit card debts or any other form of debt. So you need to write to them that taking benefits payments from your bank account to setoff against a debt for which you already have a repayment plan in place with named DCA, is unlawful and a breach of section 187 of the Social Administration Act 1992 - which makes it quite clear that monies paid as benefits are not to be charged or assigned to debts that are under an agreement (i.e. consumer credit agreements). Therefore your taking money paid to my account as benefits is theft.

Yes, it is, and they are not allowed to do it, but that doesn't stop barclaycard. :mad2: You could tell them you and your child would starve, and they wouldn't give a damn and would still take the money and get away with it if they could, and no doubt they often do.

Sorry, cerberusalert, the advice I gave on the other thread was that the bank's right to offset does not actually allow them to take any money before priority debts/payments are taken into account, and that these are: mortgage/rent, council tax, tv licence, utility bills, travel to and from work (if applicable) and food. The FOS helped me when barclaycard did this, and as soon as I quoted the FOS reference number to barclaycard they backed down immediately. One cagger also got about £7,000 refunded within a couple of days when the bank took this money which had been paid into his account for an insurance claim. I can't remember if it was barclaycard or another bank. His argument was that without the £7,000 he could not have the repair work done on a flat which he owned and would therefore not be able to rent it out and get an income. FOS backed him on that too, so it's sometimes not just the priority bills which must be paid for the banks can take the money.

This is from the FSA web site, I know it's re Off Setting but I've highlighted the important section . . .

Why else would my bank take money out of my account?

In certain circumstances, your bank can claim money from one account to pay off a separate debt in another account under its right to ‘set-off’. This could happen if you miss loan or credit card payments and you also have a current or savings account with the bank.

If a bank wants to use set-off on your account, it should:

• estimate how much money needs to be left to meet your priority debts and essential living expenses like mortgage, rent and food bills;
  • provide a refund, in most cases, if it becomes apparent to the bank that money taken in set-off was intended for those priority debts or costs; and
  • not use set-off on money it knows or should know is intended for certain purposes, such as where the NHS provided it for healthcare or a third party is entitled to the money.

You are also protected under industry guidelines, which say that banks should:

• try to contact you to discuss your options before set-off is used, and to explain when and how set-off can be used; and
  • tell you when set-off has been used for the first time.

Hope it helps in some way

Good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

That's brilliant. I didn't know it was on their website. :-)

Took some finding as I could'nt remember where I'd seen it before :der:

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

LloydsTSB garnished my account twice over the course of just 3 days leaving me with £50!! I immediately phoned them and complained and the money was refunded. They also refunded the bank charges.

DON'T let them get away with it.

Good Luck!!

Impecunious! :-)

They allowed you to keep £50!!! I once told a man from barclaycard that I had only £53 in my account to last me for a fortnight and he told me that if I didn't give them an immediate debit card payment of £50, leaving me with just £3, he would send the debt collectors to my door the next day. I was sobbing down the phone and he didn't give a stuff. (That was before I joined CAG, of course. :-))

would send the debt collectors to my door the next day. I was sobbing down the phone and he didn't give a stuff.
Exactly the reason not to talk to them on the 'phone. They would never dare commit to paper what they'll say on a telephone.