Problems with finding a way out

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi don't know if anyone can give me any advice. I am a pension and my husband is 62 at the moment. He has worked all his life unfortunately in March 2010 he became ill and was unable to work. We are now on Pension Credit. We have got into difficulty now having used all our saving over the last 12 months. I have contacted the Halifax to day to see if it would be possible to revert to Interest only for a few months, we only have 3 years left to pay and have lots of equity. They said no, because we have 2 personal loans. They said I should contact the loan people first. If they had let us do interest only for a time (we have the property up for sale) we would be able to pay the loans as well as the interest on the Mortgage.

It appears because we have paid all our payments up till now, and not defaulted on anything they won't help. Whereas it appears if we had defaulted they would have done. I wonder if anyone can offer any advice. I have done a remedy place on one debt website, but am a bit lost now.

Thankyou.

Trying to find some help for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

As you are on Pension Credit, have you looked into Support for mortgage interest? It doesn't pay the capital on your mortgage but may help ease the burden a little. SMI isn't something that I know a lot about but once you have been in receipt of pension credit for at least 13 weeks, you can apply for it.

You can contact the pension service on 08456 060 265 Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm to ask them for more information about this.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thank you. Yes we allready get that. Which is only about £15 per month because we are at the end of the term nearly.

Thats why I thought they would let us go interest only for a time. It seems the only way out is for me to default on my 2 personal loans, really didn't want to do it as its just going to get me in more debt and make what I owe on the loans more. The two come to about £7,000, I dread to think what that amount will end up being.

But thank you for your reply

I thought it was no longer allowed to try and force clients into further debt when not making every effort to try and help them in any way possible?

If this doesn't get any more replies here, post this on the Halifax forum where other knowledgeable helpers hang out.

I don't know Phonex. But as we have never defaulted on a mortgage payment I was shocked when they said no. Espeically when it seems to be because I have these 2 loans, which I have never defaulted on either and we are on pension Credit. It seems stupid to me for them to say we should default on the loans where if we went on interest only there would be no need to. Especially when you consider we have about £300,000 in equity!

Need to keep this bumped up then because I'm sure they cannot tell you to default on loan payments when they haven't even begun to try and help you sort things out by offering short term alternative arrangements.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I didn't know that Phoenix, I think I might ring them again and ask if they will reconsider, perhaps put in a complaint. This is making me feel really ill. Thank you for your help everyone :)

It might be best to write to them, that way you have everything documented.

How long do you have left on your mortgage, you seem to have a good deal of equity, ask them if they can extend the term of the mortgage for a period of time.

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. Just an update. I have still got nowhere with the Halifax. However, I contacted CCS and did a form online. I wrote a letter to my 4 creditors and sent a payment by cheque of £5 to each.

The MBNA have been brilliant, they have frozen the interest and charges and accepted my payment. Such a relief.

However, one personal loan company has cashed the cheque but I haven't heard anything from them, and the other two haven't cashed the cheques.

It appears according to CCS that the companies have to accept these payments. So I have to write to them again today to ask why they haven't cashed them, but I have been told to keep the payments up.

I suppose I am now getting on the right track but am still annoyed at the Halifax. I am just hoping now that these other 3 compaines, one is a card with not much owing on it, and the 2 personal loan companies are as good as the MBNA. The total debt is about £9,000 so hopefull if we manage to sell our property we will be able to clear it all off.

I hate being in this position I have never gone overdrawn with my bank in 25 years! and never defaulted on a payment, I suppose I am better off than many. Oh to get old and ill as they say.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and help!

Hi don't know if anyone can give me any advice. I am a pension and my husband is 62 at the moment. He has worked all his life unfortunately in March 2010 he became ill and was unable to work. We are now on Pension Credit. We have got into difficulty now having used all our saving over the last 12 months. I have contacted the Halifax to day to see if it would be possible to revert to Interest only for a few months, we only have 3 years left to pay and have lots of equity. They said no, because we have 2 personal loans. They said I should contact the loan people first. If they had let us do interest only for a time (we have the property up for sale) we would be able to pay the loans as well as the interest on the Mortgage.

It appears because we have paid all our payments up till now, and not defaulted on anything they won't help. Whereas it appears if we had defaulted they would have done. I wonder if anyone can offer any advice. I have done a remedy place on one debt website, but am a bit lost now.

Thankyou.

Are the personal loans secured on your property? Halifax are notoriously difficult. I've just written a letter for someone on the site who was having problems with them and they got substantial compensation. What has been said above is correct. The way they are treating you goes totally against many pieces of legislation, not least The Lending Code and the OFT Debt Collection Guidance as well as lots of others.

I called them to account on these to pieces of legislation by pointing out they'd subscribed to the code and as such were supposedly responsible lenders. I then unpicked every little mistake they'd made and ended each paragraph along the lines of, Bearing in mind the above mentioned legislation, please could you justify this?

I asked them at the start to respond to each point in turn and of course they couldn't.

They are slippery as eels, but you can defeat them!

Hi Everyone.

Another update.

Still had no luck with the Halifax.

I did the budget plan with CCS and printed off the letters, sent them to my 4 creditors.

MBNA, brillant, accepted my payment and froze interest and charges.

AA Finance, not heard nothing from them as yet.

Masterloan, not heard anything from them as yet.

Santander, refused the plan and said they wanted a bank statement. This card is in my partners name and he doesn't have a bank account. The bills are paid out of my account. I have contacted CCS and asked their advice they have said just to send the original letter and budget plan again. Santander cannot force me to send one of my statements.

They have ALL cashed the cheques I enclosed with the budget plan and letters. I have now set up Standing Orders for all 4.

A Tingy letter? I guess I could knock one up. I wish I'd saved my last one that defeated the Halifax - I'll pm the person I did it for and try to get a copy back.

OP - apologies for being lazy, but could you pm me all the main points of this as bullet points (if possible in chronological order) and what you asked, what they responded etc.... A summary of the entire farce in bullet points. I'll willingly turn them into a letter for you.