• Tweets

• again a quick google search states   Appeal a DVLA fine - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to appeal a fine you've had from DVLA because your vehicle was not taxed, insured, or you did not tell DVLA you no longer have the vehicle i would not be appealing. they have 6mts. see where they go. dx  
    • There are a number of reasons why you may not have been issued a notice in the post within 14 days. If you were stopped by the police it may have been given verbally. In the case of speeding offences, the police may issue you with a conditional offer of a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100.00 fine by post or an offer of a speed awareness course. If the offence is considered too serious for a speed awareness course or fixed penalty you may be charged with an offence which normally occurs by way of the issue of a Single Justice Procedure Notice. If the vehicle within which the alleged offence took place was registered to another person or company there is technically no need for a notice to be issued to the driver. After the police have obtained details of the nominated the driver, they will normally send the notice to them, although there are no time limits within which they must do so (provided that the notice was received within 14 days by the registered keeper of the vehicle). In such circumstances, a person may receive a notice several months after the alleged offence too place but still be prosecuted. A Guide to a Notice of Intended Prosecution | Motoring Offence Lawyers the above copy n paste link has purely been copy n pasted here to inform you of the regs, which you could have done yourself by, as this is, a google search......... we do not ever recommend using such offered webservices! dont dx    
    • all DYL's are subject to a TRO. looking at this newish, ever increasing as old ind units have gotten removed, estate, there are only lines on one side, on the other there is a parking lane with traffic calming through which you mention. i seriously doubt your mate has any clue what he is talking about.!! its not a private housing assoc estate. so its a public council owned road. no construction co can just decide to draw their graffiti on a road. the DYLs are certainly there pre 2016 even before his home was built. now ive had a quick look to see if the main access to royal park road has signs. there is no royle park road even on your map but there is a royal barn road which leads to where you are parked royal road has a restriction sign on the pole by the fence of the electric substation jnc with gipsy lane there does not appear to be one leading in from the other end - tesco petrol station
    • Hi All. I was driving in Stevenage down a 40 road after coming off the motor way, i noticed my car felt a little "weird" i accelerated, then slowed the car down.  Shortly after i got stopped by a manned police car with a laser. During the stop the officer stated i was doing 54 in a 40, the conversation was short, but he said i would unlikely get a awareness course and it was most likely 3 points and a fine.  Mrs thought it was a good idea to have dairy when she is lactose intolerant on date night, we just got on our way.  At the time, i didnt admit to the offence, but did say i didnt realise and had slowed down in any case. The officers chest camera was recording and on. At the stop, he asked where to send the fine to, as i knew i would be travelling to visit family up north, i provided my temporary details at that location in Yorkshire. It is now 05/05 and i haven't received anything at either my home address in Stevenage or the temporary address. 1. Is there a time limit in which paperwork needs to be sent to me. 2. Should i query the ticket as i don't want to miss any deadlines (if so who do i check with?) OR should i keep quiet. 3. Given nothing has arrived in 20 days, is there a chance of appeal if and when it comes through? Many thanks CrazeUK
    • Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the beginning of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, however he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt received any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her mail until last week. She received a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehicle and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she responds by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Electronic Signature for Online Applications

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding!

If you have any advice/suggestions please feel free to comment.

This is a sticky one and I dare say there will be a lot more of these being sent out in the very near future.

RI

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I think others are much better placed to advise. As these seem to be originating from the OC, and seem to be a fabricated record being peddled as 'proof' of debt I would have thought it is an attempt to secure money under false pretenses/fraud/threats/blackmail and I wonder if this is not therefore a potential criminal act route to take. But I am not sufficiently knowledgeable enough to know and very naive and emotionally driven on this subject. As there is sufficient evidence with some of these to show that they are fabrications (wrong names etc) that would appear to me to be a strong argument that a criminal act is taking place and is widespread. As I said, I am naive. x

Hi Brokenbutnotbeaten,

Welcome to the thread. I know what you mean though, Lowells seem to have come by these so called CCAs all of a sudden, and also seem to be trying to brow beat people into paying up using the Electronic Communications Act. There isn't much information available on the subject, and I think that they know that.

Worry tends to make the smallest thing throw the largest shadow - Swedish Proverb

Don't worry about it mate, I'm busy as hell at the moment but I'll devise a letter and discuss it with you asap.

Have a crack at one and see what you come up with!

REMEMBER, they are trying to peddle this spreadsheet as proof of liability for debt.

RI

Well I got a letter from Red Debt Collection just threatening more doom and gloom. But I have been as busy as anything lately. I will get a letter together in the next couple of days just saying that this "agreement" doesn't prove that I agreed to anything, and that I'm putting the debt into dispute. Then it's up to them to prove it.

I'll post the template as soon as.

I'm also going to complain to the OFT because so far, I've had Lowell Portfolio1, Lowell Financial, and Red Debt Collection all after money at the same time.

Worry tends to make the smallest thing throw the largest shadow - Swedish Proverb

They are all rats in the same cellar mate!

They just change the letterheads to 'intimidate' the recipient!

I can see no possible way that this document proves that we have even heard of Vanquis let alone agreed to any credit, terms or conditions.

The more I study it the more I am convinced that is complete and utter rubbish.

It is simply a VERY recently manufactured idea to circumvent the plain fact that Vanquis probably NEVER had Consumer Credit Agreements in the first place.

They are basically manipulating personal details in a ludicrous attempt to deceive people into believing that these outrageous spreadsheets are actual 'bonafide' proof of debt!

By closer scrutiny of the documents, I am absolutely convinced that they were cobbled together for this reason only!

One could even argue that we never had Vanquis accounts, after all, what proof is there if there is no credit agreement?

I would guess that 1,000's of these have been sent out to people who have requested a CCA recently!

RI

If they are sending these in response to a s78 request then they need to be stating that they are sending "Reconstructions" and not a true copy, thanks to Carey vs HSBC they are allowed to reconstruct data from other sources of information if they no longer had the agreement.

The reconstruction part of Carey vs HSBC SHOULD be only for informational purposes and if it gets to court more substantive proof should be required but its down to the judge and arguments put in front of them at the time.

Carey vs HSBC does demand that the data be honest and accurate so anything you can see on the form that is incorrect ensures it doesnt even meet the s78 minimum requirement. It may be worth letting them know that they are in default of the s78 request.

S.

Thank you Shadow, that is very helpful information.

I am going to incorporate some of this into my letter and post it on here.

I would like them to explain 'exactly' what these documents are supposed to represent and exactly 'how' they presume that they are proof of any alleged debt.

Also, how they suppose that putting a few details on a spreadsheet and posting them to the induvidual along with some photocopied 'terms & conditions' satisfy a CCA request.

Surely they realise that there must be a clear defined link from the induvidual to the document and the terms and conditions et al.

I think the 'simplicity' and content of these amateur attempts at an 'electronic signature' will be there undoing.

The use of the term 'signature' and 'application' in the title of the document are immediately contradictory and imply that only an 'application' exists but I fail to see what the agreement is from this spreedsheet.

It could be argued that the induvidual was only 'agreeing' to 'apply' for credit and nothing more.

Whilst it was a good attempt to cover their asses regarding a CCA request, it is way too rushed, too badly designed, too inept, too inaccurate and basically ridiculous, that will doom it to failure.

I know that if I was a judge and this was presented to me I would laugh them out of court!

Production and legitimisation of this kind of reconstucted rubbish could totally destroy the Consumer Credit Act and open the floodgates to DCA's using these to circumvent the law if they cannot produce an enforcable CCA.

In short, this outrageous document has been cunningly and specifically designed with the ONLY purpose being to deceive those who have made CCA requests to Vanquis/Lowell's et al where they have been unable to satisfy the request.

Royal, I would invite you to read Carey vs HSBC and the OFT guidelines on s77/s78 responses published last year, things have moved on and they do not need to show anything to substantiate the debt, they just have to give you information, that is the sole purpose of s77/s78 requests... it's just that the person thinking up the statute decided to add the option that they couldnt enforce whilst they did not give you that information in response.

The information they have to give you has been watered down to just the core facts about the debt, t&c and your original name and address at time of applying.

Enforcement action against you would require more evidence and then you would require them to substantiate the debt.

HTH

S.

So, in a nutshell, they can legally 'chase' the debt using this nonsense but if they ever decided to actually bring it to court etc. then they would be required to provide more evidence which would then make the spreadsheet appear ridiculous?

Is this correct?

RI

So, in a nutshell, they can legally 'chase' the debt using this nonsense but if they ever decided to actually bring it to court etc. then they would be required to provide more evidence which would then make the spreadsheet appear ridiculous?

Is this correct?

RI

Yes in theory although some judges have accepted reconstructions as fit for enforcement use.

S.

Surely this is 'fabrication' and not just as simple as 'reconstruction'?

I can grudgingly understand a CCA being reconstructed IF a signature exists on another unenforcable agreement but when there is no signature or no acknowledgement then a document such as the one above surely MUST be seen as pure fabrication?

RI

I would suggest this arguement (fabrication) would hold significant weight in court if any of the details are wrong - as many appear to be. But if all the detail is correct then it becomes a tougher fight with an unsympatheitic judge I guess if the claimant can show that money was used (e.g. credit card statements)?

I repeat s77/s78 is used for INFORMATION purposes only, there is no requirement to show anything with a signature, its purpose is not to validate a debt.

Therefore Carey vs HSBC states that a lender can reconstruct the information from ANY source it has but it must be accurate and honest, so if they have details from statements about credit limit, address, balances, interest rates etc they can effectively reconstruct a loose agreement that will satisfy the Carey ruling and thus s77/s78. They also have to supply the t&c from that time and all variations from the original agreement.

Yes in theory although some judges have accepted reconstructions as fit for enforcement use.

S.

Just to say, whilst I have written the above I mean in general terms, i wasnt referring to the "agreement/response" you've been sent, I find it hard to think that what you have sent would be rubber stamped by a judge as constituting a proper agreement and enforceable but then again the judiciary is a gamble.

S.

• Confused 1

Well I for one am willing to give it a go with regard to disputing the enforceability of this so called Agreement.

There are details that are simply incorrect, and I wouldn't have given the information that they are trying to say that I did. There wouldn't be any reason for me to do this.

So, in my opinion, the information that Lowells have given is not accurate, and I would say, certainly not honest.

Letter to follow!

Thanks guys

I got an ALERT from Credit Expert to tell me that Lowell's have kindly SETTLED this account!

LowellSettledAccount_2-1.jpg

If they want to use 'screenshots' of supposed data then so can I!

RI

Edited by RoyalIrish