• Tweets

• how did Paula Vennells, an ordained priest, fall so far and so fast from grace? - because she was never in grace - and always just another devil in shepherds clothing   Post Office scandal: how did Paula Vennells, an ordained priest, fall so far and so fast from grace? | Post Office Horizon scandal | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM The former chief executive and archbishop’s confidant appears at the Horizon IT inquiry this week to explain her role in the affair that wrecked the...  
    • I started paying her old council tax as they said they would jail her I managed to get those account details. We then got back together she moved in with me stopped me going to my house. Eventually let me back in I was there 4 days then the police showed up at 1am arrested me for 8 different offences. On the morning I was in custody she rang the letting agent and asked for the house to be changed to her sole name as I was in jail. The house was changed to her name I was made homeless. The bills she did not change to her name left them as occupier the utility companies then said I had to pay as there was lots more usage than an empty property. My solicitor said if I don't pay them I will be reported for it. It has since turned out that in her old property she didn't pay the bills. The electric bill she put in her daughter's name then cancelled the direct debit the council tax she never attempted to pay. Due to one of the accusations I have since been told I need to pay these bills even after getting emails saying I'm not liable for the bills. I have forwarded these on to the police and solicitors and had no reply. Other than you have to pay these bills. I'm also going to end up paying the bills where she lives now as once again they are not being paid. I can't go in to detail about the case as I'm due to be charged next week not sure what with yet but the police have told me I'm going to be charged.  My ex will not tell me nor can tell me about her debts as she doesn't want me to know how much debt she is in or has put her daughter in once she turned 18. I do not want to be paying her debts after what she has done to me.
    • In the earlier thread (now linked above) you were going to change your name by Deed Poll. Did you do that? Did it solve any of your problems? What, exactly, have you been charged with? Has a court date been scheduled? I cannot think of any reason why the police would tell you to pay your Ex's debts that she incurred 5 years before you met her. Either there's lots of the story you aren't telling us, or you have misunderstood what you have been told, or you are trolling us. Earlier you said it was your Ex who wanted you to pay her debts and, for some reason that  no-one here could understand, you were going to do so. So your Ex can give you all the details of her debts and you can pay them. She can hardly expect you to pay them if she won't give you the account details! I've never known debt collectors be fussy about who pays as long as someone does. They routinely take payments from friends and family to clear debts. It's not illegal to pay someone else's debts          
    • What you've said isn't helping. Please post up a redacted version of the appropriate section of the court papers.  HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell Financial/Lowell Portfolio/Capital One

ims21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I wonder of I might get some help please.

I had a credit card with Capital One and a S87(1) CCA 1974 was issued in March 2008. I have the letter here. I paid a couple of ad hoc payments around that time so I am not suggesting that the debt is time barred at all. I am not trying to get out of what I owe....I just want to make sure I am paying the right amount.

Anyhow, I got a letter from Lowell Portfolio in February this year saying that they had purchased my debt from Capital One and in the same envelope was the letter from Cap One saying that they had sold to Lowell.

Then I get some letters from Lowell Financil, the last one in Mid March saying that I could pay 75% in F & F if I did it in one go OR I could pay 85% in F & F if I did 3 paymentsOR I could do a monthly direct debit of a fairly small amount until the debt is cleared.

I haven't responded to any of these letters by the way.

I was wondering why they should make an offer like this if they are sure of the debt. Are they just being kind? (think not). Would they not chase for the whole amount?

Anyway, I have gone back through the Cap One statements that I have and there are charges on there which I feel I may be able to claim back. Particularly they are described as "Overlimit fees" of £12 each and "Late Payment Fees" also of £12 each.

If, as I have read, I might claim these type of fees back, then my balance will reduce and I can then sort out paying the balance.

I was hoping for some advice as to whether these charges qualify to be the subject of a claim. If they are, do I get in touch with the new owner of the debt (Lowell) or do I go back to Capital One?

As I say, I don't want to try and evade the debt, I just want to make sure I am paying the right amount.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thatds prob why cap1 sold it to the fleecers

they know its all charges and thats why lowlife have offered you a discount

if you look in the cap1 forum

you will see you can reclaim ALL those unlawful fees + the interest they have charged you PCM AT THEIR PURCHASE RATE!!

do some reading in the cap1 forum and ignore lowlife.

they know they have a lemon.

what about PPI?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't see the Cap1 forum but I'll have a look there now.

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place....maybe a Mod can move it to the correct place if need be.

Thanks

poss if that helps

i'll do it now for you

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx

Thanks for that.

There was no PPI charged.

In the last couple of mins I had a brainwave as to where all the old statements were and I've found them!!!!

Going back to the start.....October 2000!

I'm going to have an intersting evening going through them on a spreadsheet to get all the charges listed and Compund Interest at their purchase rate.

Do I calculate the interest up to the date of default notice? since then no further charges have been added or do I calculate the interst up to now (say 31st March 2011)?

As my claim may go back further than 6 years, will I certainly have to put this through court or might they settle prior to court action?

Can't wait to get going on this!

Thanks

Hi again

I've had an interesting evening going through the old statements and have found a total of £895 between 3/1/01 and 2/4/08. They are described respectively as "Overlimit Fees" and "Late Payment Fees".

I'd like to go for the compund interest route and then the 8%.

I just hope I've got the compund interest correct with the spreadsheet. the total compund interest comes out to £3,893. The simple interest comes out to £428.

The way I worked the compund interest is to take the average of the purchase rate (which comes out to 1.9% per month) and apply that using a formula taken from Microsoft's website to calculate the compund interest to date.

I don't know if there is a maths guru here but by way of example, the first charge was on 3/1/01 for £18. 122 months have elapsed and the monthly average rate is 1.9%. I get the answer that the compund interest on that £18 is £178. This would be the interest for some 10 years. Is anyone willing just to check this for me please?

So, if it is confirmed that my compound interest calculation is correct then my total claim could be £895 + £3,893 compound + £428 Simple = £5216.

This is, I believe, above the limit for small claims. If this is the case, do I just put it to Capital One for the charges plus compound which total to £4,788 and if necessary take action on that sum with an application to the court that if I get judgement I want the simple added on as well.

What court route do I take if I have to claim the £5k odd right from the off?

Thanks in advance

and they

Yep, got that dx. Thank you.

Formula works in Excel so I guess it is all OK. Just seemed a big figure to me.

Has anyone got thoughts on how to go to court with a claim over £5k please?

Cap 1 claim to have sold the debt and Lowell claim to have bought it. Which one should I send my refund request letter to and do I go straight in for the charges plus compound + 8% or just go for the charges plus compound at this stage?

Many thanks

I used the calculator here http://www.egalegal.com/compoundWindow.html which is linked to from the site, however in your example the resulting figures are pretty close, so the method you have employed seems it would stand up to scrutiny.

When you first request your charges back, you cannot claim the 8% but by all means draw their attention to what the figure is should they not play ball. From the many threads I have followed on cap one, it is pretty clear that they will employ standard tactics when dealing with your request. They will blank you on anything over six years old, and probably end up offering the difference between the charge and £12 on anything else, plus 8%.

In order to get anywhere on a claim such as this, you will undoubtedly have to file at court, as I have done (for my g/f).

If the claim is over £5k it will get allocated to the fast-track channel at court, at which point costs are possible. However the idea is to get this settled before having to enter a courtroom. You might consider reducing the interest rate a little to get the claim under £5k, but there is always the possibility that your case could get fast-tracked anyway.

Hope this helps, im sure others will have opinions too.

Thank you Still_surviving.

I think what I shall do is play with the CI rate to get to just under the £5k mark which would show that I am not being unreasonable in my requests. This would stand me in good stead should court action be the route I have to go.

I have read a goddly amount about Cap1 and agree that they will almost certainly baulk at every turn but I'm ready for that.

Never Give Up is frame of mind to have I think.

I'm off to get my request letter done and will keep the forum posted as to progress.

Regards

ims

Hi

I think I'm about ready to send off my initial request letter. However, there is just one question before I do.

The account was defaulted in March 2008 and since then there haven't been any further charges or interest added to the account. For my compund interest, do I stop calculation at the date it was defaulted or do I run the compund interest right up to now. I understand that the 8% simple interest will run until the date of settlement if appropriate but what about the restitutional compound interest please?

Thank you

they have benefitted from having your money

to date of claim CI

dx

and they

Hi

Preliminary Letter ready to go...here is the text. I propose sending this recorded delivery. Is this wording correct for a preliminary request? Thank you

Oh, and do I send my SOC with a preliminary letter?

Capital One Bank (Europe) plc

Trent House

Station Street

Nottingham

NG2 3HX

4 April 2011

Dear Sirs,

CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I consider that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees and over limit charges, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £895.00 plus £3,919.74 which you have charged me in interest for the sums which you have taken. Total £4,814.74.

Additionally, you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you, or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above, I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

I give you 14 days to comply, or else provide me with a full breakdown of your costs in addressing any breach on my behalf, which demonstrate clearly that your charges are in proportion to your actual costs.

Failure to do so will result in me issuing a county court claim for recovery of the charges plus interest and costs.

Yours faithfully,

Edited by ims21

Hi again

While waiting for some advice on my previous post, another thought crossed my mind.

Up until now I have ignored the Lowell letters but as the debt has been sold to them, would it be wise for me to CCA Lowell? I ask this because if an enforceable credit agreement cannot be produced then i assume the account should just be closed and no claim for refund of charges etc. by me would be effective. If, however, they have an enforceable agreement, then my claim can be put in.

Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard but I'd really like some help with the route to take bearing in mind the debt has been sold to Lowell.

Thank you

i would leave out the last 3 line for now.

that int seems very high whet were the majority of the charges? 1999

and it matters not if the cca is en or un-en

wait for cap1 to suddenly take the debt back

you mention no figures so's i cant really comment on if yo'll have outstanding still

but as sure as eggs is eggs, if the dca offered a discount - the three rules apply...

either its un-en

all unlawful charges or ppi

or its near sb date.

dx

and they

Hi dx

Thanks so much for coming back to me.

OK, I will remove the "I am shocked" line. Thanks

I have calculated the compound interest using an average of their rate per their statements which comes out at 1.89% per month. For example, the earliest charge was for £18 in March 2001. The compound interest calculates out at £180 to date. The second one is for £18 in April 2001 and the CI calculates out at £170. One of the last ones was for £12 in April 2008 and the CI on that one to date is £23. So I have claculated the compound interest for each individual charge and then just added them together.

There are 57 charges on the account between March 2001 and April 2008. Started off at £18, then went up to £20 each and then went down to £12 each.

So we are talking CI from some of these charges going back 10 years or so.

Lowells want about the £2,300 mark which can easily be cleared with the claim I am intending to put in. Having read other threads, it seems that it is Cap 1 who must refund me, not Lowell (despite the sale of the debt). I can then sort out the payment of what I legitimately owe them. It is this "Sold" bit that confuses me. If Cap 1 have sold the debt will it be the new owner (Lowell) who deal with collection or will they somehow get it back to Cap 1?

Thanks for your help dx...really appreciate it

ims

Hi dx

Sorry, misunderstood. You didn't mean the "Shocked" line did you. You said last three lines which is the bit about default in the credit file, the bit about full breakdown and the bit about court action. Just leave it that they have 14 days to comply?

have I got this right please.

ims

i meant to say the last 3 lines! sri....

the oc charges you - the oc refund you!

this will be quite a nice earner for you you should see quite a bit to your pocket!

incidently, there ia nice nice thread in the barclaycard forum [infact i think two now] of recent

whereby the refund went to the op's bank a/c!

they have no legal write to 'give' it to the dca as the a/c is sold and no agreement exists anylonger.

have a poke around.

dx

and they

delete from i give you 14days

save that for their wriggling that they'll do

dx

and they

Hi dx

Thank you for your advice. I have amended the wording and the letter has now gone recorded delivery. And so the games begin!

Just noticed some of your other posts....Wow, you do stay up late trying to help people.

When I win this there will certainly be a donation made to the site. I'll keep the thread updated as to progress.

Thanks again

Just got in from work to a telephone message from Lowell stating that they need to talk to me urgently today. I'm going to ignore this now that I have served correspondence on Cap1 for a reclaim.

Is this the right thing to do please?

ims

hehe

you're learning....

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dx

Had another Lowell letter saying this is the last letter before passing to Red Debt Collection. Carry on ignoring?

The only thing I am unsure of is that Cap 1 and Lowell say that the debt from Cap1 has been sold to Lowell rather than just passed to Lowell for collection.

Does this not have an impact even though I am after Cap1 for repayment of unfair charges?

Incidentally, I sent Cap1 the preliminary letter requesting refund of charges etc on 5 April. Sent recorded. They signed for it. Haven't had a reply yet. Is it time to send lba or shall I give them a bit more time to respiond?

Thanks in advance

ims