Guarantor and Tenancy Agreements - Quick Question!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there

I've just seen a flat I want to move into and have handed over the required funds to remove the property from the market and also pay the referencing fees.

I've not completed the forms yet, but discovered today that I have a CCJ issued over a year ago that I was completely unaware of as it was issued to an old property some 7 months after I had moved out. Also, the CCJ was issued by my current motor insurer who I was with at the time of the CCJ!!

Anyway, in the meantime, I'll be looking to have that set aside as my insurers knew where I was, but I imagine it's going to take some time.

I've been upfront with the letting agents and advised that I have discovered the CCJ and they say it will prevent me from taking tenancy with them, and that they don't accept guarantors.

I was just wondering whether there was any legal obligation for them to accept a guarantor, whilst I attempt to get this sorted out? If not, I'm soon to be homeless!! :/

Thanks in advance

The only thing the agent will be interested in is getting the rent paid, but it may be a condition with the owner that only tenants with squeaky clean records are allowed.

Have you rented before, can you offer a reference from a previous landlord?

Can you offer rent in advance?

Do you owe the money that the CCJ has been issued for? If you do and it has to be paid, you can obtain a satisfaction notice from the court. Would the agent accept that?

Just a few ideas for you to chew over :-)

The only thing the agent will be interested in is getting the rent paid, but it may be a condition with the owner that only tenants with squeaky clean records are allowed.

Have you rented before, can you offer a reference from a previous landlord?

Can you offer rent in advance?

Do you owe the money that the CCJ has been issued for? If you do and it has to be paid, you can obtain a satisfaction notice from the court. Would the agent accept that?

Just a few ideas for you to chew over :-)

The simple answer is, no there is no legal obligation for an agent to let to you, or to accept any particular terms.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!