Fairfax collecting for HMRC - advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4772 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Fairfax phoned me early today (as I have a 7 year old HMRC tax debt £10k which I've stupidly ignored by moving to France).

But as they had an old address on file we could not pass data protection and I gave them a safe holding address where I can collect post but am not easily traceable.

I cannot afford to pay 10k upfront - anyone had dealings with them - is it possible to drip feed the debt back over a few years?

What powers do they have acting for the HMRC if any and what’s the worst they can do?

Thanks

Edited by benmills

Thanks Tony

Appreciate your response -

I'll string them out and wear them down in that case

I'm luckily an hour ahead in France for their early morning wake up calls to hurt

All best

Ben

Have you acknoldged the debt made or offered a payment in the last 6 years

debt to the government can be statute barred so no court action if it is SB then

the only way they can recover it is if you claim a State Means Tested Benefit

they cannot take it from State Pension.:wink:

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Yes I have acknowledged the debt in the past 6 years but I don't think an outstanding tax liability is allowed to be SB – it’s always live I thought?

However it will be interesting to find out how tenacious the new HMRC outsourcing DCA’S are – how far will they push people?

It’s obviously big business for them right now but I’m hoping to tire them down with a drip feed or similar before they get bored or I lock them out of a CC summons – which is mentioned above as this costs them money and is often counterproductive for bullying DCA’s.

From my experience yes a debt to to UKG is always live but can be stat barred.

They can keep pressing for payment but the blood out of a stone principal applies.

Also I don't believe the DCA's & CRA's have any idea how complex the situation is regarding

government debt of any sort, they have messed up on tax credit over payments ( HMRC)

I have experience on behalf of others regarding Fairfax on this.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a letter from Fairfax for an alleged debt of £500. They are coming to my house to remove goods to that amount apparantly.:lol:

I have SAR the tax office as I stopped being self employed years ago and it was acknowledged by them years ago. But bloody stupid me hasnt got the letter to prove it so SA request sent.

Anybody any idea how HM Revenue respond to SAR's?

Can you post up the letter after removing all personal details and any bar codes.

Have they or HMRC got a judgement against you?

I believe that the governments use of DCA's is going to bring up one hell

of a lot of problems in the proving of liability for over payments of benefits

and under payments or non payments of tax liabilities,there seems to be little

historical information on how HMG departments will respond to SAR's at the present.

A whole new can of worms I suspect.

Edited by BRIGADIER2JCS
Thoughts

Dealing with them right now - threats of removing goods/bailiffs and Prison, debt is current and refers to tax which should have been paid over the last 4 years whilst on State Pension which is taxable, even though I qualify for Pension Credit!! The HMRC gave me 7 days to pay and I responded saying they did not have my permission to pass on my private details under DP rules. See what response that brings.

From my experience yes a debt to to UKG is always live but can be stat barred.

They can keep pressing for payment but the blood out of a stone principal applies.

Also I don't believe the DCA's & CRA's have any idea how complex the situation is regarding

government debt of any sort, they have messed up on tax credit over payments ( HMRC)

I have experience on behalf of others regarding Fairfax on this.

Tax and Vat are debts to the crown which never come under the limitations act and can always be collected, therefore never become stat barred

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/debt_factsheets/liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act.php

My advice is given through personal experience and is given without prejudice

If I Have helped please feel free to click the star

:smile: