• Tweets

• you mean you did aos on mcol yes? pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.   dx  
    • The Letter of Claim information is not absolutely essential, but it would be useful for two reasons. Firstly, judges take a dim view of companies or individuals who rush to court without giving the other party notice and a chance to settle - the Letter of Claim.  If they didn't send it we could include this point in your defence and it would be detrimental to them. Secondly, we know Countrywide.  They are a very small cowboy company.  The are reluctant to do court, simply becasue they are very bad  at it.  Their record of beating Caggers in front of a judge is exactly 0%.  They have lost every time.  They send the Letter of Claim also to look for people who don't reply, thinking that the person might not reply to a claim form either, giving them an easy default win.  Conclusion - always best to reply to a Letter of Claim and ridicule the PPC's case.
    • Any update here? I ask as we have someone in a similar situation.
    • It's possible.   I suffer from ADHD and also anxiety and depression currently and struggle with paperwork.  I'll have a search around to see if i can find anything.  If they did send something I haven't replied.   I thought there's no way that they will pursue this because I know for a fact i didn't park in a private space and the evidence they have sent is so ridiculous.   What impact does this other paperwork have? Thanks!   I already sent the acknowledgement as i panicked and thought today was the last day to respond.   Then i remembered this wonderful forum.  I'll follow the steps in the sticky next.
    • The particulars of claim doesn’t mention statement of accounts.  Should I include that in the cpr letter?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

pb v barclaycard

paulpb123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks,

This flipping microfiche argument is a load of old rubbish and we all know it. Yesterday I received the 'puzzled' letter from Carol Jones. I just haven't got the patience to keep arguing so here is my letter which is a revised and extended version of the one I was going to send. Feel free to use it.

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxx

I wrote to Deborah Woodcock at Barclays Data Protection on xxxxx regarding the bank’s failure to comply with my request under the Data Protection Act 1998. Unfortunately, I received only a standard template letter (not an email as stated in the letter) from Carol Jones which seems to be sent to anyone requesting details of charges levied against their accounts.

I am sorry that you have decided to deny me my legal entitlement to this information and flout the law by refusing to comply with my request; please note that I am making an official complaint to the Information Commissioner. I would have thought that if you are able to supply copy statements at £3 each, then they should be retrievable from your accounting systems and easy enough to produce in accordance with the DPA.

In an effort to resolve this matter, and in the absence of the information I requested, I have made an estimate of charges and penalties levied against my account based on the information that you did manage to supply. I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to exceeding limit, returned payment charges and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not then will you please demonstrate this by providing me with a full breakdown of the costs you have incurred as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs. May I remind you that it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the Office of Fair Trading who reported on 5th April 2006. These penalties are now considered to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

I would also draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves in a manner which complies with UK law. I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way and I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them. Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

I enclose a schedule of charges for the period xxxxxxxx to xxxxxxx. Based on the figures for this period (which is actually less than a year), and because you have refused to provide me with the necessary information for the period prior to May 2004, I estimate that you have taken xxxx which I would like you to repay. If you do not agree with this figure could you please provide me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my account, as originally requested in my letter of xxxxxx.

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this rather than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will now give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or if you do not respond positively within this time period, I will send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

PB

If they wish to challenge my claim they will have to provide the evidence. I reckon we're all getting bogged down in this microfiche argument and its time to move on. Best,

Paul

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i made an overestimate of my charges to barclaycard but they have this morning offerered me £96 saying i have 12 charges on my account. when i checked through the statements they sent (only dating to 2004) i could only see 8, this shows that they are able to go back and check the details unlike what there original letters about the microfiche rubbish says.

anyone any ideas as to what to do next:idea: i am obviously going to decline this offer until they can prove to me otherwise, but how do i get them to do this?

any help is much appreciated,

thanx

david

Hi Dave,

I've sent the letter requesting charges estimated from what they sent. I took a one year period from the statements they sent. I chose the period with the highest amount of charges. Include a schedule of those charges with your letter. You simply multiply that by 6 (or however many yrs you've been with them if its less). After the two week deadline they will get a letter before action, giving a further two weeks, then I'm going to file a claim. Its up to them to prove that my estimate is wrong. They are the ones being deliberately obstructive and I can't imagine that they will want to explain to a county court judge why they have acted unlawfully. I think the microfiche argument is utter rubbish and we should all get on with our claims. I take it that the £96 is 12 x £8 which is the difference between between £20 and £12 because of what the OFT reported. But they did NOT say that £12 is a fair charge. Of course they can go further back than 2004. Hope this helps Dave. Keep in touch.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to be filing my claim against B/card very soon but my problem is I'm not sure how to work out the interest since I have estimated the amount based on the info they provided. Anyone have any ideas on this? I can obviously accurately work out the interest for post-2004 but what about prior to then? And how can I estimate the interest? Any help much appreciated.

Paul

What I did was work out what would be the average amount of charges per statement, and on the spreadsheet, put the average amount in the relevant box.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

I'm going to file a claim against b/card today but I'm not sure that my original calculations were correct. I did an estimate based on 1 year x 6. However, am I right in thinking that b/card only introduced charges in 2001? Should I therefore do the claim based on 1 year x 5? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Paul

yep unfortunatly

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

Right, filed claim last night for £2346.62 so its time to play the waiting game. I'm counting on them taking this to the 1th hour judging by other people's threads. I guess b/card are going to have to drop the microfiche argument now after the Abbey findings. Good luck to all b/card claimers!

Paul

Barclaycard really should get their act together. Two items in the post this morning. An aknowledgement of my claim with intention to defend (so they get to waste more time) and a letter from customer relations stating that they are dealing with my complaint and thanking me for my patience! I'm sure there's a proverb for this...:rolleyes:

Good luck Robert. Received a 'goodwill' offer of £267 based on the difference between their charges and the £12 which they seem to think is a fair charge. If you're reading this Mr Barclaycard, the answer is no and I look forward to receiving your defence.

Paul

Hi there - I also sent a letter copied off the forum for estimated figures had nothing to go by as account was paid up before 2004 so what they sent me wasnt worth the paper it written on. Im now at MCOL stage and have hesitated abit but after reading again thought dam it go for it.

My question is did you change the wording for MCOL from the normal ones we use because of the esitmation of charges and them not supplying a true DSAR.?

Thanks and good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Checked MCOL today...their last day to submit a defence...and they've done it, right at the last moment. Thought I might get to click the judgement button...in my dreams, of course. I guess they always play it this way because they get to keep our money for longer. Oh well, let's see what their defence says.

Got the paperwork through today. Their defence is not impressive, just a load of stuff about T & Cs. Opens by saying I didn't supply details for the charges I'm claiming but I did, of course, twice! They also say that charges prior to 18 Oct 2000 are unclaimable under the Limitation Act...but I'm not claiming prior to this date! Do they have a template defence or something because very little of the defence seems specific to my case? Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Got the paperwork through today. Their defence is not impressive, just a load of stuff about T & Cs. Opens by saying I didn't supply details for the charges I'm claiming but I did, of course, twice! They also say that charges prior to 18 Oct 2000 are unclaimable under the Limitation Act...but I'm not claiming prior to this date! Do they have a template defence or something because very little of the defence seems specific to my case? Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Just delaying tactics thats all, your case has just risen to the top of the to do list that's all.

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

Yes!!!!!

In that box put you require the defendant to issue you with copy statements dating from 2001 until 2004, previously requested under the DPA 1998 but information declined.

Good Luck

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!