Rozzadozza - Benefits interview

rozzadozza
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4816 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I cant work out how to start my own thread so need to ask advice here.

advice needed please. Situation is

May 2007 husband of twelve years left - father of my two children at the time

Nov 2007 met someone, thought relationship was good got pregnant and had baby in Feb 09 by which point father of baby didnt want to know, refuses to have contact ot agknowledge baby, wasnt at the birth and not on birth certificate.

so i managed three children on my own with father of older two frequently visiting the house to see his children

Aug 2009 met someone who lives over 100 miles away (near my family i was visiting) and we started a long distance relationship - which suits us both perfectly because I am happy having my own space, we talk daily on the phone and approx once a month I see him and have a break from the children while thier father stays at my house and cares for them. He also looks after the youngest who isnt his but he treats him as his own, because the real father not involved.

Jan 2011 - shock of my life accidently pregnant with long distant boyfriend. He is supportive and wants to be involved but for a variety of reasons he cant move here and I cant move there so the relationship will remain as it is.

Approx eight months ago I was called in for a compliance interview and gave details of the babys father (3rd child) and signed the forms for CSA etc, have heard nothing since. They thought that I was living with the babys father, but i was able to show emails etc showing that he didnt want to know the baby etc

This week I received a letter saying that I need to attend a fraud interview under caution because they suspect my partner is living with me. I initially didnt worry because he lives 100 miles away, runs a business, has a mortgage etc. However when my ex husband (although we never got around to divorcing) visited to see the children he collected his post - which he has never redirected despite me nagging - and he has a letter from the benefits office saying he has to attend interview under caution because of his partners claim for income support!!!!!!!!!

He remains single, lives in a shared house which he can prove.

From reading these threads I am worried because

We have never divorced (cant afford to - he has low income and we have no savings to worry about and agree about childrens things so have never seen the point in worrying unless one of us decides to remarry)

His name remains on the joint tenancy - I couldnt remove it without his permission and he wouldnt agree in case anything happened to me then he would need a home for the children.

He still has post coming to my address and he has now admitted that he has applied for credit etc using this address

His name remains on the joint bank account although he has never used it since leaving nearly four years ago

Gas and electric still in his name, doesnt affect me because I have a meter and just top up as required. I did try to put it in my name, but they wouldnt speak to me and as it doesnt affect me I have never bothered about it.

We have a maintained a joint car insurance policy with me as a named driver although we pay for each cars separatly from our separate bank accounts (mine being a joint account of course) (its cheaper for us to have policy this way)

Please can I have frank and honest advice. Should I bring witness statements confirming he doesnt live here, im in a relationship and pregnant by someone else etc

I am worried that they will say he never left, this could really affect my current relationship, the stress is making me ill and i just dont know what to do. I know it looks bad but he really really doesnt live here. he pops in most days for approx 30mins to see the kids and thats it except when i go to my boyfriends house which i can prove with coach tickets etc and then he stays but i am not there.

hi rozzadozza go and seek legal advice do not go to the interview without getting advice and take someone with you. An interview under caution when you have not done anything wrong in my experience is horrible, they will try to trip you up at every turn. Good luck

thank you. do you know how i can start my own thread

Hello there. To start a new thread, click on the black triangle at the bottom left of one of your posts, 'report' it to the site team and ask them to move your posts to a new thread. If you have a title in mind, tell them, otherwise they'll think one up for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I cant work out how to start my own thread so need to ask advice here.

advice needed please. Situation is

May 2007 husband of twelve years left - father of my two children at the time

Nov 2007 met someone, thought relationship was good got pregnant and had baby in Feb 09 by which point father of baby didnt want to know, refuses to have contact ot agknowledge baby, wasnt at the birth and not on birth certificate.

so i managed three children on my own with father of older two frequently visiting the house to see his children

Aug 2009 met someone who lives over 100 miles away (near my family i was visiting) and we started a long distance relationship - which suits us both perfectly because I am happy having my own space, we talk daily on the phone and approx once a month I see him and have a break from the children while thier father stays at my house and cares for them. He also looks after the youngest who isnt his but he treats him as his own, because the real father not involved.

Jan 2011 - shock of my life accidently pregnant with long distant boyfriend. He is supportive and wants to be involved but for a variety of reasons he cant move here and I cant move there so the relationship will remain as it is.

Approx eight months ago I was called in for a compliance interview and gave details of the babys father (3rd child) and signed the forms for CSA etc, have heard nothing since. They thought that I was living with the babys father, but i was able to show emails etc showing that he didnt want to know the baby etc

This week I received a letter saying that I need to attend a fraud interview under caution because they suspect my partner is living with me. I initially didnt worry because he lives 100 miles away, runs a business, has a mortgage etc. However when my ex husband (although we never got around to divorcing) visited to see the children he collected his post - which he has never redirected despite me nagging - and he has a letter from the benefits office saying he has to attend interview under caution because of his partners claim for income support!!!!!!!!!

He remains single, lives in a shared house which he can prove.

From reading these threads I am worried because

We have never divorced (cant afford to - he has low income and we have no savings to worry about and agree about childrens things so have never seen the point in worrying unless one of us decides to remarry)

His name remains on the joint tenancy - I couldnt remove it without his permission and he wouldnt agree in case anything happened to me then he would need a home for the children.

He still has post coming to my address and he has now admitted that he has applied for credit etc using this address

His name remains on the joint bank account although he has never used it since leaving nearly four years ago

Gas and electric still in his name, doesnt affect me because I have a meter and just top up as required. I did try to put it in my name, but they wouldnt speak to me and as it doesnt affect me I have never bothered about it.

We have a maintained a joint car insurance policy with me as a named driver although we pay for each cars separatly from our separate bank accounts (mine being a joint account of course) (its cheaper for us to have policy this way)

Please can I have frank and honest advice. Should I bring witness statements confirming he doesnt live here, im in a relationship and pregnant by someone else etc

I am worried that they will say he never left, this could really affect my current relationship, the stress is making me ill and i just dont know what to do. I know it looks bad but he really really doesnt live here. he pops in most days for approx 30mins to see the kids and thats it except when i go to my boyfriends house which i can prove with coach tickets etc and then he stays but i am not there.

Too much money spent on interviewing innocent people. My tv license was still in my kids dad name after we split, for years!! They wouldn't change it without his permission, which I sorted... in the end.

Not to mention me still paying his 8 quid a month life insurance policy, out of my bank, for a year after we split 11 years ago, & our joint account that wasn't used but only got closed down last summer!! as I said in another thread. Until 2 years ago I was claiming IS HB the lot. I would loooove to see them try claiming we were still together, I think that would go down like a cup of cold sick with his girlfriend that he's been with for the last 6 or 7 yrs! lol The whole country is going to the dogs.

Hi Rozza and welcome to CAG.

I've put your posts into your own new thread for you.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you for moving my post!

On paper the situation may not look good, however I can disproove their allegations, in a sense that we have separate accounts and we have our own bills, I have a boyfriend who is prepared to give statements. he is not on the electoral register at my address, even though im a named driver on his insurance policy...I can proove that I paid for my own vehicle..I feel I have very good reasons with why 'some things' are still in joint names...ie- tenency ..he needed to be there to take name off, I did not divorce as neither of us are planning on getting married again, we had no property's or money to devide, my kids and i wanted the same surname. We genuinely DO NOT live together....my Ex of over 4 years ago pays rent where he stays and can proove this, and various other accommodations since the split. I have had another baby with someone else. I have a boyfriend and am expecting another child. Also, I can proove my current relationship on facebook, through messages, wall posts, photo's etc. I can also gain a statement off a neighbour, my circle of friends, professionals which have said in reports..the family split up circumstances etc. Will this be any good...or will they not take any of this in to account? I admit that he has his post here, applied for credit etc..but surely he would be the one fraudulant...not me? Any idea's people? My current boyfriend say's im over-looking into it and worrying over nothing as i have very good explanations..but after reading other threads and convictions..im really worried. I have contacted a solicitor for some advise and hopefully I can gain some advise from them. If anyone has been in a simular situation it would be great to hear your views. I bought a dictaphone yesterday so I can record the interview aswell....surely that can work both ways and they will have no objections?

They could in all possibilty decide that for benefit purposes you are still a couple even when in real life you longer are. The fact that his name is still on the tenancy and on some of the household bills does not look good if I'm being honest. The best thing to do is to have an honest and open discussion with and explain why theses actions could affect your lives and to ask him to contact the relevant department to arrange for all the bills to be put into your name as he no longer lives with you and fyour family and has his own accommodation and bills.

If you're not living with someone, & the unlikely event of this ending up in court, hopefully it is a crown court so a jury can hear your evidence & anyone else that can prove your exes live where they do, because I hate to think someone pleads guilty just so they dont go to prison. That's the threat that is legally made to innocent people all the time, 'plead guilty at the earliest point to get the least sentence' blah blah blah, rubbish, if you're not guilty, dont be bullied into pleading it. I am a wimp me, & would probably be one of those that would plead guilty to make the fallout easier, but I would hope that sense would prevail if I were in that situ as a jury would probably find in my favour anyway & I would rather not be splashed on the local paper front page as pleading guilty to something I didn't actually do. And they never report when people have been found not guilty, I know because a woman was found not guilty last year, not been a dicky bird about it in the paper! But there was when she was being charged & awaiting court. The law is an azz..

hi i was in a similar situation my boyfriend who does not live with me got his mail sent to my address, everything to do with his work and his driving license were all at my address he was also on my car insurance ,the reason for this is that where he lives it is not safe to get mail sent to. Some spiteful person who i do know reported me to the dss and to cut a long story short those nice people called me in for an interview under caution over a year ago and iv not heard anything since.

My lawyer at the time told me that the investigators need 3 items of proof that someone is living together as man and wife. I went to the interview alone and wish i never had one interview was really horrible to me but i suppose they now believe i was telling the truth as over a year later i still have my benefits.

I hope that everything goes well for you , during the interview if you feel that you are getting upset tell them to stop and do not let them bully you :-(:-(

Thanks for your replies. :p

Flumps, thanks for your advise...I know it does look bad on paper, at the time of our split things were not amicable.....he was not prepared to take his name off the tenency , despite my phonecalls to the council explaining the situation they said that he needed to attend their offices to sign it over to me ( he was not prepared to do this) For several reasons. I can't see that as being my fault? Also, the joint bank account he has not used since the split as I destroyed his card...they will be able to see this via bank statements and bills that I have paid with my card and direct debits from my account. The account never had his name paid off as as far as I was concerned that would make me responsible for the 2050 overdraft debt that I had when he left. also, he would also need to go in the bank and take his name off. The car insurance we had as joint when we were together, with me being the named driver..i personally thought it was unfair that if he took me off it that he would end up with 5 years no claims discount and i'd have to pay full whack. I am a named driver but both the car and van on the insurance policy are paid from our separate accounts.

I definately wont be pleading guilty and will fight all the way. I have several people compiling statements and feel that this is a personal attack on me..as some 14 months ago i was called in for a compliance interview about a my third child's dad living with me and im claiming dla for a child that has nothing wrong with him. I never heard anything from that interview until now I recieve this letter about my ex husband whom i split up with years ago. it's odd and If they watched my house they would see that if he has the kids..im not there and although things are now amicable between us does not mean that we would ever get back together...surely I can not be perseceuted for trying to do the best thing for my kids..he has a room in a shared house which is not suitable for them to stay. spending quality time with their dad is vital for them.

We geniunely do not live as a couple, share monies or does he contribute the the household. How, can we be linked because of this?

They will be looking at the fact that you are linked by address and financial products. I do understand what you are saying about not being a couple. Not my decision to make but if it was after reading your posts I would be 50/50 as an LTAHAW DM.

My advice to stop this happening again is to talk to him and end your joint documents finances even though they are no longer used.

If you are no longer a couple and have both moved onthen hopefully he won't see it as a problem and will agree to help you rather than cause potential problems with benefits. Would he be prepared to support you financially if the decision doesn't go in your favour, from what I've read no he wouldn't.

I mentioned it to him today and he is very dismissive about how serious it looks, despite his letter and my research on here. I said for him to take his name off of tenancy, and joint account, also to change his address on his credit cards etc...as it looks like we are financially link. he is going to attend the interview with his rent statements, proof of his address etc. Im seeing a solicitor as if he does not comply im going to get punished for something that is not my fault. He really does not see the seriousness of it and was making jokes..calling me jailbird etc...I am going to try my best to get him to do this.. he also said that he is in the middle of sorting debt out and it would muck things up..whatever that means i dont know? Can they really find me guilty for having his post at my address if he actually does not live here. my friends know we are not together, i can get statements from my neighbours and boyfriend too?

Yes, I showed him the letters earlier, told him it's serious but he believes as we are not a couple and not living together and he can proove this that there is nothing to worry about. he works and does not claim benefits so it's me in question , not him. I don't know what else I can say short off threaten to burn his post lol He does not want his post going to his landlord's house, because his landlord is his boss and it's alot of debt he is in.

He really doesn't get how serious this allegation is does he? I think you need to inform the relevant departments in writing about his change of circumstances and to return any post as no longer at theis address. He doesn't want his boss to know about the debt he is but is quite happy to watch you go through an IUC and the possibilty of going to court. Just because he thinks he has proof to state he doesn't live with you the investigating officers also think they have prrof that he is still linked by address and with financial products. To answer your question yes there is a possibilty that they could find you LTAHAW despite the fact that he as alternative accommodation. I think you need to go to the Council and explain your circumstances to ask about changing the tenancy in your nane alone if you also explain that he lives elsewhere and is deliberately making things difficult for you, then contact the bank to explain and attempt to close the account. Make sure you return any other letters.

I'm sorry but you are ging to need to be selfish about this and put yourself and family first. You are not responsible for your ex partner. As for making jokes about calling you jailbird does he realise that some people have been imprisoned due to benefit fraud although it would be highly unlikely for you to be imprisoned so don't be alarmed.

I have texted him and asked him to do it again today and he is still refusing which is the same as when I tried to get all this sorted four years ago. I had a go at him and explained how serious it is. If I contact the departments now before the interview they will view that im panicking and am doing it quickly because im guilty. I know Im not and I know that it looks bad and I just hope that after the interview he sees the seriousness of the allegations made and does something about it. Im so cross and im afraid it's like speaking to a wall. He makes jokes of things that are serious and fails to see or admit the consequences of his behaviour. I said to him that if I have my benefits stopped because he is being an idiot, would he be prepared to pay my rent and council tax and give me money to live on..of course his answer was bleep, bleep!!

I am trying to compile witness statements at the moment to comfirm the situation and hopefully once they see that he is bemused by the fact and I have a feeling he will become verbally abuse that it will look better in my favour as he would be non-compliant. Finger's crossed, i'll keep this thread updated as and when I get new information. My interview is on the 15th March. Thanks for your help everybody, greatly appreciated. Much love and hope that you all get to the bottom of yours.

I have had several debt collectors and companies when he has not been making payments on time and recently his bank, i do tell them that he does not live here and provide his mobile number. post still gets sent here despite that fact. i have tried to call and speak to people but they will not speak to me as its data protection act and he would need to call himself. Mailbox..I have not heard of that? Any body know how as that would be a better solution? I will then suggest that to him by phone tommorrow.