triton shower not fixed under warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I installed a new triton shower and 4 months on, one of the heating elements failed. When the engineer arrived, he said he would not fix it, because i had not used the supply cable entry, I had drilled a 1cm hole in the centre of backplate, as the cable was buried in the wall, and it was easier to drill the hole and feed the cable thru, rather than remove tiles etc to reroute cable. There are no electrical/plumbing safety issues involved here,nor does it weaken unit and i feel that this is a deliberate ploy to con people who have fitted their own shower. Not only would he not fix it, but he told me i would be getting a £68 bill as well. Would like to fight this, but not sure of my position. Rip off Britain.

I am more concerned about the fact they are saying it is an "incorrect installation". They are using this as an excuse. Nowhere on the instructions does it say not to pass cable thru backplate.

Unless the instructions specifically say it is ok to drill your own access through the back of the unit, then doing this is obviously going to invalidate any warranty.

The unit has one or several cable entry options and to use any alternative may be extremely dangerous. The instructions will confirm what options you have and they will be limited, for good reasons.

Nowhere on the instructions does it say not to pass cable thru backplate.
I assume that it doesn't say anywhere, "Do not drill through the top of the unit to bring your cable in." That doesn't mean it is ok to do it. :!:

Invalidating the warranty may be the least of your worries. I would be more concerned about the electrical safety of your installation and of those using it.

Unless you are fully competent, you should not be installing such a unit yourself. An electrician will not only install the unit safely but will ensure that the power supply is run properly to the unit with the necessary isolating switch, circuit protection etc.

Even if you're fully competent to install a shower and power supply safely, you cannot expect Triton to replace it when you have ignored their fitting instructions.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

They did me too, heater control failed, OK, but they would NOT fix it because they could not access the unit exacty head on (90 degrees) but just off 90 say 70 degrees so I got a bill and no fix, I complained and got reduction, but needed to get a real plumber in to fix it, he did it no problem. These bas***ds are real ****. Support is fake.

The reply previously submitted by ''SLICK132'' sums up very well the reasons for the repair work not be actioned.

All of our Electric Showers are BEAB approved, this not only includes the product but the instructions for fitting which will include specific entry points for the power and water supplies. Deviations from the Installation Instructions will create a situation where the product no longer meets these requirements - should one of our Service Engineer's work on an appliance where this is the case this could be interpreted as endorsing what is effectively a wrong installation. Any more serious problem developing from this wrong installation could then have some come back on the Engineer concerned and also Triton.

Although the outcome does initially appear unhelpful the paramount importance is of safety of the operation of the appliance and user.

Regards,

Karl Stein

TECHNICAL TEAM

If all you do is wash your hands of it, turn your back and look the other way, that could not only be interpreted as endorsing what is effectively a wrong installation, if a householder eventually electrocuted himself, an engineer could be sued for the negligence of failing to convince that the danger exists, nor is it at all so clear that an invoice of £68 is entirely to that effect.

The duty is presumably to be sure that an unsatisfactory situation is not to happen. I am not myself so sure of what exactly the appropriate course of action is deemed to be, but the company should be.

Is there no appropriate guidance from an enforcement authority?

The Service Engineer at the time of the visit would have verbally advised the customer, any query on the invoice could also be accompanied by a written report if required, however the main point here is that you would expect if someone is told that the installation is incorrect and under worse case scenario could be dangerous that they would not use the unit in that condition. The fact that the unit was not repaired would prevent the unit from being used of course.

Ultimately the unit should be installed to the manufacturers instructions by a suitably qualified trademsan correctly - as the manufacturer we do not see every installation. A difficult area to prevent this type of thing happening as without inspection of every installation, we as the manufacturer would not be aware of every potential problem site.

This is where a good approved installer should be used in order to help prevent problem installations. Web sites such as the Institue Of Plumbers will list their members by area.

Hi Triton Technical (Karl) and thanks for looking in and commenting.

Can you please contact our Site Admin if you wish to represent Triton in an official capacity. We welcome such input once you've been checked and approved - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/sendmessage.php

@Perplexity - If any Gas Safe (formerly CORGI) engineer comes across an unsafe appliance, it can be immediately condemned and you must not then use it further until it is serviced and re-approved.

But I do not know if the same restrictions on use can be made by an electrical engineer who comes across a dangerous installation.

Further input from electricians or their regulatory body would be useful.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.