Council street sign on my house

bricon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is a council street sign on the side wall of my house. I have two questions.

1/ Can I remove it or tell them to remove it ?

2/ Should they be paying me for the use of my property ?

Many thanks.

Brian.

Many moons ago my mother had a GPO telegraph pole in her front garden & they had to pay her the princely sum of 2/6d annually for the privilege.

Also I moved into a property where Redifusion network cables were attached to the house. I gave them the option to remove them and re-point the brickwork or re-point the brickwork & pay rent. They were unwilling to do either until I sent them a Letter Before Action, after which they chose the former option & diverted them accross the road at some considerable cost to themselves. ;)

I would suggest to have a word with a local Councillor but that would be cruel; they would probably know no more than you or I.

All sorts of peculiar considerations may apply: bye laws, planning conditions, road traffic legislation; I dread to think.

In times gone by I would have gone along to seek a face to face with our Council's legal department but I gather that they are not so accessible nowadays. Times change.

8)

I would check the deeds on your house, there may a covenent or wayleave that allows for the sign; if you dont have the deeds you can check with the land registry for any such wording.

This normally covers things like services, cables, telephone poles etc.

If nothing noted then write to council and ask them to relocate it.

:wave:

Redifusion network cables ;)

:whistle: cerberusalert now that name is a blast from the past, showing your age with that one :whistle:

My local council 'Sefton' still have all rights to are road signs. A neighbour painted the one attached to his house to match the colour he painted his house, promtly told to paint back to orignal colour or they would paint it and send him the bill.

:wave:

dk

Several road & street signs disappear every year in our area, students tend to 'borrow' them as mementos when they graduate.

As for Rediffusion, this city is awash still with their cabling network & the big green junction boxes can be seen on many a street corner. The system hasn't been in use since the '70s nor would it even work now because there are so many disruptions in the network due to breaks in the wiring caused by demolition or people just ripping it off their property. ;)

artv-adastral1950sl.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.