Incapacity benefit chat

gatecrasher007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I do hope someone can help me.

My incapacity benefit did not go into my account last month, I have been away visiting my sister in Spain (I am Spanish but have lived and worked in the uk for 35 years). I now have a lung disease and have been sick for 2.5 years. I telephoned the UK and they told me that they had not received my pension statements and that someone would ring me back within 3 hours which they did. The woman said that I was ringing from Spain and I said I was and she said we have been told that you have been living there for some years. I told the woman that I had posted the documents before I left the UK and was returning mid Feb, and that I did not live in Spain. On my return I telephoned and the same said lady said they would try to get my benefit reinstated and that she would ring back which she didnt. On Monday I telephoned and no one rang back so I telephoned again and they gave me another number to phone. The woman on the end this time made a date for me to go in for a "chat" on Friday. I am very wary as I have received no letters about the suspension of my benefit. They have told me that they now have the paperwork relating to my pensions. Do they often ask you in for "a chat"? My other question is regarding bank statements as I havent been asked to provide these at any time, I have been reading other threads and they have asked for these with other benefits, I have never been asked to produce these with Incapacity benefit. Can they request these or would they have behind my back? I received my DLA as normal in Feb so they didnt stop that its very confusing. I hope someone can help. Thank you.

Edited by gatecrasher007

Thank you for the reply Honeybee

I do know that they pay IB in the EU along with DLA Care only not mobility but I am not abroad only go visiting and am never away more than 1 month at a time as I dont know the Incap rules about how long to stay away for but guess the average person goes away for a week or 2 but a month is probably not unreasonable. I was more concerned with the chat? Thanks for your help

I suspect the reason is that they need to clarify a few issues. They are not accusing you of fraud, but they need to understand the situation, to make sure you are getting the right benefits paid at the right rate. So, if you turn up at the chat and provide them information that means that you are not entitled to the benefits, then your money will be stopped and they will want you to repay the overpayment. However, by not going in, they will want investigate further and you won't get your benefit money restarted.

On the day of the interview, I received a letter saying it was an IUC which suprised me as the person said it was "a chat". I went on my own the interview lasted 20 mins the interviewer took my letter off me and did not return it. Apparently she said it was up to the DM what was going to happen. I have since contacted a solicitor who said the whole method of this was

wrong and it would be up to the DM whether the incap is reinstated or not. Does this now mean that I will have to reapply and will they take me to court as they did an IUC. The interviewer asked a very strange question "what do you think we give you DLA for" People I have talked to said they thought it was a fishing trip I am led to understand that they are not allowed to do this.