• Tweets

• An update to this case as I’ve not been on in a while.    I am still awaiting a charging decision in the case. The two police officers involved have said their personal belief is a section 47 ABH charge is the most likely outcome but this isn’t a sure thing of course.    The EA certificate from the issuing court has now lapsed. The court have refused to recertify him until they’ve had a hearing in to the case, and the district judge has issued orders to surrender all evidence, footage, photos etc.    I have done so promptly.    the EA, not so much . Equita have claimed they cannot provide his bodycam footage as the camera he was wearing is the EA personal one not one of theirs.   the EA has claimed he has asked Equita and the police for the footage as he claims he doesn’t have it.    the police have confirmed they didn’t seize his camera and they don’t have it.    so they are basically pointing the finger at each other all the while failing to comply with the district judges order to provide all evidence they intend to rely on at the rescheduled hearing.    The district judge has stated the hearing for his certification will NOT be the hearing for my complaint as there is no charge as of yet, and just as to whether he should be recertified or not.    I’m not 100% on why that can’t be done at the time, but I’m not about to question a judge…..      
    • Thanks FTMDave, I like the cut of your jib - I'll go with that and obtain proof of postage. Encouraging that NPE have never followed through and seem to blowing hot air, let's see where they go after this   Regards
    • Please see my comments in orange within your post.
    • no i meant the email from parcel2go which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)
    • I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.   House or Flat? Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Again, points as above. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) Why serve a delapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease. I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to buy the freehold of the property. It's normal, whether it is a "normal" leaseholder or a repossession with a leasehold house, to claim this right of enfranchisement and sell the property with said rights attached and the purchase price of the freehold included in the final completion price. That's likely what the mortgage provider wished to do. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at? Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. So this is dealt with then. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.  You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension. You'd need a Deed of Variation for that. This may be done at the same time but the lease has already been extended once and that's all they have a right to. The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved. The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there. Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All, Just need a few pointers as to my next step.

I made a claim for JSA\HB\CTB in mid December after being out of work for 3 months. Early in January I had to chase the DWP only to find out they had made a mistake on my claim. Once JSA was awarded (approx 2 weeks later) I then contacted my local council to find out if my claim for HB & CTB was being dealt with (they informed me that they had not been informed by DWP that my claim was valid, I asked them to re activate the claim & then had a letter delivered asking if I could supply some supporting documentation (which I have now supplied)

In the meantime I have been visited by B & S three times.

I have not allowed them in to my home on any occasion. However they did levy on some garden furniture on their second visit ( I have sent letters to both B&S & the local council challenging this, as the sum total of goods at auction will not cover the fee's). The items listed on the levy have now been relocated from my premises (as I consider the levy to be unlawful, If I should I proceed with a section 46 notice I would like to provide the court with physical evidence of the goods levied on)

This morning (Sunday @ 07:35) there was knock at my door. I ignored it. Later I checked our letter box, however there was no further letter (as I had expected) relating to van charges etc etc.

Does anyone have any idea what the next steps B&S may take. I think I will send another letter to the council tomorrow (after making an online payment for £10 tonight) asking for the account to back in to there ownership as I am on JSA & offering to pay a £20 per month.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by irishexile

Template Letter to Request Account be Referred Back to Council

With thanks to Tomtubby

NOTE: This letter can be adapted to suit your own circumstances and could be used to advise the company that you are in receipt of income support or income based jobseekers allowance and that you wish for your arrears of Council Tax to be deducted at source from your benefits and requesting that the account is returned back to the local authority. You should provide a photocopy if possible, of either your benefit book or confirmation of your entitlement from the benefits agency.

To: Bailiff Company

Date:

Dear Sirs,

Re: Account reference.

I refer to your letter dated
(enter date)
informing me that your company have been instructed by
(enter local authority)
to enforce a warrant/liability order etc against me, in respect of arrears of council tax.

In your letter you state that you will be visiting/returning to my home to
(seize/auction etc my goods.)
unless full payment of
(enter amount)
is made by return.

The purpose of this letter is to advise your company that I am in receipt of
(income support/jobseekers allowance)
and am enclosing as proof, a copy of
(payment book/letter from benefits agency.)

I am informed that deductions can be made directly from my benefits to pay my arrears of council tax. This is provided for in the Council Tax (Deductions from Income Support) Regulations 1993.

For this reason, I would like to request that this account be referred back to
(local authority)
so that the relevant forms can be completed.

I am also aware that once deductions are in place, Regulation 52 of The Council Tax (Administration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992 expressly forbids any enforcement action.

As I have now made you aware of
(my/our)
circumstances, and provided proof, if your company continues with enforcement action, I will consider making a formal complaint about the bailiff’s conduct to the County Court

Could you please confirm safe receipt of this letter, a copy of which is being sent to my local authority.

Yours Faithfully.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?123390

Cheers, Have already sent a very similar letter on Friday (so Should be with them Monday). The main thing I want to check is if there will be any come back on me as I have removed goods they have levied on. Also as I put my claim in for JSA\HB\CTB before B&S took any action I'd like to know if I am liable for any fee's they may try to invoice me with.

Thanks for you quick reply.

Just an update. Today I have had another letter from B&S stating that the confirmed receipt of my original letter stating that the items they had levied on would not cover their fees.

They are saying that "There are no restrictions in law as to the amount goods must be valued at to levy or remove. The only requirements are that we provide certain information at the point we levy, which is all detailed within the notice of seizure of goods paperwork"

They go on to say they are "more than satisfied we have acted correctly and that the levy is legal and in accordance with the council tax (administration & enforcement) regulations 1992 (as amended).

It was my understanding that the items levied on MUST cover all of their costs (including any van fee, storage, auction etc etc) something that approx £80 worth of goods is not going to cover.

Do I need to file a summons against the council under section 46 ?

Thanks.

Detailed Assessment Judgment of Throssell v Leeds City Council where the District Judge ruled as follows:

“Turning to the taxation it seems to me that notwithstanding the fact that there were three liability orders but one visit was made by one bailifflink3.gif and the maximum that the Council’s reasonable charges can be is the result of applying the formula contained in Schedule 5 paragraph 2 (1) (b) of the Regulations”

they cannot charge so many fees if only one visit is made

as for your car how old is it? I.E. would the sale of it actually cover a large percentage of the bill anyway?

a vehicle should only be removed if the proceeds of sale provide that there would be a surplus available to the liability order after deductions for the bailiff fees, , removal storages and auctioneers fees.

With thanks to Tomtubby

IMPORTANT...If you need to make a Complaint to the Local Authority then read here.....

It must be remembered that a bailiff enforcing a debt for council tax, National Non Domestic Rates (NNDR) or an unpaid parking ticket
link3.gif
is working as a
agent/contractor
for the local authority.

In this, the local authority cannot simply abdicate responsibility for the actions of their agent/contractor as ultimately, it is the responsibility of the local authority to ensure that a levy is carried out in a lawful manner and that the fees charged by their agents are in accordance with statutory regulations.

Following a discussion with the Local Government
Ombudsman
's Office (LGO) they have advised that if you have a Compliant for the Council about their bailiff's then you MUST do the following:

You must ENSURE that you mark your letter to the local authority as a :
FORMAL COMPLAINT.

Your letter should be addressed to the
CHIEF EXECUTIVE
and should be
COPIED
to the
COMPLAINTS DEPARTMENT
( this will ensure that it is registered as a formal complaint).

It must be understood that under the 1974 Local Government Act the Local Government Ombudsman
link3.gif
only has jurisdication to investigate a complaint if the matter had first been brought to the attention of the local authority and that they had been given the opportunity to respond.

If you are unsatisfied with your response from the local authority then you can take your complaint to the
Local Government Ombudsman
link3.gif
but they will want to see that you have gone through the councils COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE first and that you have allowed the local authority a maximum period of 12 weeks to respond.

The Local Government Ombudsman's office will need to satisy themselves that you have made it CLEAR to the Local Authority that you are making a
FORMAL COMPLAINT.

Update: Could really do with some pointers. My local council have written back saying that because my wife is working they will not recall the account back from B&S, I offered to let them take a direct deduction from my JSA (we have managed to get by, just about on my wife's take home pay (£1040 PCM,rent £795 PCM)) I am still waiting for my local council to process my application for housing & council tax benefit ( almost 3 months since my initial claim was made).

Any Ideas ?

Just an update. Today I have had another letter from B&S stating that the confirmed receipt of my original letter stating that the items they had levied on would not cover their fees.

They are saying that "There are no restrictions in law as to the amount goods must be valued at to levy or remove. The only requirements are that we provide certain information at the point we levy, which is all detailed within the notice of seizure of goods paperwork"

They go on to say they are "more than satisfied we have acted correctly and that the levy is legal and in accordance with the council tax (administration & enforcement) regulations 1992 (as amended).

It was my understanding that the items levied on MUST cover all of their costs (including any van fee, storage, auction etc etc) something that approx £80 worth of goods is not going to cover.

Thanks.

I had a similar problem recenlty and had the levy and fees removed thanks to PlodderToms help.

A valid levy must have an inventory listing all goods. So they cannot use language like ALL garden furntiture etc.

Davies v Property & Reversionary Co Ltd (1929) 2 KB 222. Kerby v Harding (1851) 6 Exch 234 states " a list of all goods" is too vague as neither debtor nor any later attending bailiff can identify the items. The Company should already know that the decision in Davies was confirmed in Ambrose v Nottingham City Council (2004)”.

A valid levy must also meet the following:

1) Cover all bailiff costs & charges.

2) Cover all removal & storage charges.

3) Cover all costs of the auction.

4) Cover all the Auctioneers fees.

5) Pay off a proportion of the debt owed.

If your levy, like mine, does not meet this cirteria then send the Council and baillifs a joint recorded letter giving them seven days to remove the levy and fees or else you will request a summons under the regulation 46 Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992 at the Magistrates Court.

By the way, you can pay your council tax bills using there online payment system. This is what I do but obviously depends on how comfortable you feel about doing this. In any event there is no law stating that you have to pay the bailiffs, it would just **** them off :-)

The advice given in post #9 is sound and this was given originally by Ploddertom who may not be classed as a "senior cag member" he is nontheless a well informed cag member....

"A valid levy must have an inventory listing all goods. So they cannot use language like ALL garden furntiture etc.

Davies v Property & Reversionary Co Ltd (1929) 2 KB 222. Kerby v Harding (1851) 6 Exch 234 states " a list of all goods" is too vague as neither debtor nor any later attending bailiff can identify the items. The Company should already know that the decision in Davies was confirmed in Ambrose v Nottingham City Council (2004)”.

A valid levy must also meet the following:

1) Cover all bailiff costs & charges.

2) Cover all removal & storage charges.

3) Cover all costs of the auction.

4) Cover all the Auctioneers fees.

5) Pay off a proportion of the debt owed.

If your levy, like mine, does not meet this cirteria then send the Council and baillifs a joint recorded letter giving them seven days to remove the levy and fees or else you will request a summons under the regulation 46 Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992 at the Magistrates Court."

Some of the biggest pile of s**t this lot have come out with for a long time. If that's the case then why don't they levy on the fag ends dropped on the ground. The whole idea of levying on your goods is to use that as lever to persuade you to pay, if they only levied on a couple of quids worth of goods then everyone would tell them to go ahead.

Thanks.

You need to tackle this with your local Council with as you say a Regulation 46 Complaint. here's an example of what to use

Mr Jo Blogs

1, High Street

Anytow

Post Code.

The Chief Clerk

xxxx Magistrates Court

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

Council Ref: xxxxxx

I am writing to request that you issue a Summons against xxxxxxx Council by virtue of Regulation 46 Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992 as a matter of urgency.

I am aggrieved by the levy carried out by Mr Smith of ABC Certificated Bailiffs on (enter date) for the following reason:

* The Bailiff visited my premises and he has provided a Notice of Seizure of Goods & Inventory advising me that he has levied against a vehicle that was outside/on the drive of my home.

* This vehicle is not owned by me. I do not know the owner of the vehicle and it would appear that the Bailiff has assumed that this is my car because it was parked close to my home.

* The Bailiff in seizing this vehicle, has charged me a levy fee of £50 together with an enforcement fee of £150 and I am advised that unless I pay the amount of the Laibility Order of £xxx together with the charges associated with this levy, that the Bailiff will be attending at my property to remove this vehicle to satisy my Council Tax arreas and in addition I will also be liable for further charges for "attending to remove" and I could also be in position of being personally liable to the owner of the vehicle.

* I have written to the Bailiff Company and the local authority concerning this levy but my complaints have been ignored.

I trust that this information will be sufficient and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.

Yours faithfully"

Obviously change it to fit your own circumstances.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PT (you are an absolute star), Cheers for your input. I will go ahead with the summons against the council & keep you updated with how things go. Are you OK if I PM you with my councils name, as you seem to be able to find out if they have outsourced Council Tax collection. Thanks again for your help.

PT (you are an absolute star), Cheers for your input. I will go ahead with the summons against the council & keep you updated with how things go. Are you OK if I PM you with my councils name, as you seem to be able to find out if they have outsourced Council Tax collection. Thanks again for your help.

No problem with a PM however for fairness it is better most things are conducted in public. One way of seeing if your Council outsource is to have a look at the website address that comes up for payment of CT or strangely enough a phone call asking them outright.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After sending several letters & emails the. Council have agreed to a payment schedule (had to get my MP involved). However they are insisting that I make the payments to B&S. I am not happy making payments to B&S so would prefer to make payments directly to the council. Can someone let me know if this will be OK?

What is their reasoning for making payments to the Bailiffs? It appears the only concession they have made is to agree a payment plan only. It shouldn't matter how you pay as any default will result in enforcement continuing anyway.

I note you have not listed a breakdown of the Bailiff charges and feel you may have to deal with these as a separate issue. You should send off for this ASAP as the chances are the bill will be quite high and that is why the Council are running away. Here's a sample of what to send, do it initially by email backed up with a copy in the post:

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

In my view I would pay the Council as agreed but via their website or automated phone service, you may have to budget for Bailiff fees. If asked why just tell them the Bailiff is being an a**e.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi B & S,

There is no law which states that you must deal directly with a council tax bailiff.

My council forced Equita to accept a payment plan and like you my local MP also got involved. The condition was that the repayments were made to Equita. I refused and have continued to pay the council online for the past 3-4 months.

The only issue with this stance is that the baillifs could come knocking on your door ect and unless your okay with this then the decision of who to pay is ultimately yours.

The only sure fire way of not dealing with the bailiffs is by getting your account sent back to the council which in my case has proven a dead end. However, if you think you have a good case then try emailing the CEO of your council, giving him/her a full acount and why you think the counvil should take the account back.

Good luck TT

PT Here is the reply I have been sent by my local MP. BTW we do qualify for CTB as they have confirmed (by letter today) they are re calculating our bill at the moment (can't wait to tell the MP he has been lied to by the council & also be able to back it up with written examples)

have investigated your case and received a response from relevant Council Officers. I am told that since August 2010 you have paid a total of just £20 towards your Council Tax and that £740 is now outstanding. Due to this situation the Council is not prepared to withdraw your case from the Bailiffs.

Whilst I understand that you are on benefits, I am told that your wife is working and your income will be too high to qualify for Council Tax benefit.

The Council is prepared to accept payment of a minimum of £70 per month to clear the arrears on the account, which is much lower than would usually be accepted. However, it is important that you begin payments for the new tax year on time and maintain them. Please contact the Bailiffs to make them aware of the total amount you will be paying as soon as possible in order to bring this situation under control.

I hope that this reduced payment amount to clear the arrears is of assistance to you.