RAC insurance renewal insane price wanted to take it automatically.

Goatan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just got a renewal from RAC today for an insane £5976 over a 1000 times more than the best quote i got online. Didn't hink much off it as it but re reading the letter they where going to automatically take payment with the card details i gave them when i first applied. So they where going to take neark £6K without my authorisation. Also they kept my card details stored on there system which is a breach of the payment card industries guidelines. If you currently with RAC then check and double check how muc they are charging you and make sure they are nt automatically take payment.

I dont think RAC ahve done anything ilegal (altough i may be wrong) but they have certainley acted very poorly.

Currently Pursuing three credit card companies for PPI and charges.

Capital one: Sent the required SAR information late, currently working out my claim.

Egg: Sent the required SAR information on time, curently working out my claim.

Virgin/MBNA: Still waiting less than week left to copmly with SAR.

Trouble with the RAC (now) commercial enterprise not like the original (I use to work for the original lot as a Patrol in the early 70s,. even my membership renewal notice was far more than than it should of been, after ringing them was told wrong figures given but they do not know why, told them bring back old RAC which was more personal, did not bother renewing with an extra £50 for what? get yourself quotes off the internet site?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

This is not illegal. I work for probably the biggest insurance broker in the uk who offer the same payment method called continuous credit card. You card details are stored on there system, but isnt attainable by any of the customer advisers. When you took the original quote out online/on phone or if you were renewing last year with the RAC the clerk or online quote would state that your card details will be used for renewal next year or the renewal notice would have stated last year that they would be doing this.

With the broker I work for, yes it does automatically renew unless you tell them otherwise. Afteral some people may get competitive quotes and may want to renew, and this enables them to not have to do anything. The policy will automatically renew for them. Whereas if you don't want to renew, then you phone up the insurance company and say this... bear in mind, this can work in your favour bcos with some online quotes to back u up, you may be able to haggle a discount.

However the automatic renewal doesnt take your payment until the day of the renewal. So don't be alarmed by the automatic renewal. Just phone your insurance company up and say you dont want to go ahead with the renewal. They should suppress the continuous credit card method instantaniously. If its anything like my employers system, its literally just a case of opening up one part of your screen and clicking a button to Yes instead of No. Simple! But you might want to check with your bank afterwards and see if they can stop any payment being made to the RAC just to be on safe side

• 4 weeks later...

Admiral Insurance are currently trying to make me pay for a renewal on a car insurance for a car I got rid off before the policy expired. As it happens they were unable to collect money from my bank. I did try to confirm cancellation of the policy on the phone but I waited for 6-8minutes to speak to a representative and then had to go to work. They have now put the ??debt?? in the hands of a debt recovery agent, spoke to them, asked if there was a dispute, then I would have to go back to Admiral Rang Admiral again they said I no longer had a policy with them and could not send me a copy of the proposal form

Admiral even have the cheek to charge 8p per minute to telephone them.

Gladiator part of the Admiral group have just lost my van insurance

My girlfriend is not going to renew with them Admiral

It is up to them to destroy my card details and not store them on there computers but this is a guideline set down by card companies

They did not do that either

Raydetinu, do you really think it acceptable to withdraw money from your bank account without your express permission, read Admirals reviews, they do

Given the fact they can automatically renew and then 24 days later suggests they can automatically cancel which they did again without my permission. Seems to me they can do what the hell they like.

It is the first time I have come across this system in 36 years of driving and arranging insurance for 4 vehicles a year so forgive me if I did not know they are moving the goal posts.

Each time I have rang Admiral I have been met with delays on a rep answering the phone. I do not have online billing and await my invoices to check how long I have spent contacting Admiral

This site has a reviews section. Try looking at the reviews for Admiral insurance, wish I had

Not Admiral below

We are currently at loggerheads with a holiday insurance, 3 months after a claim because Heathrow had closed all runways and we had driven from Newcastle to Heathrow to get on a connecting flight

2 non fault claims to insurance companies took 18months each to sort

I could go on but if you think the insurance companies are trustworthy then more the fool you I DONT

Beware of Swinton Insurance Brokers - these slimy sods take £30+ out of your account anything up to eight weeks before your existing policy expires!

Managed to get my 30 quid back - wont be using them again.

just got a renewal from rac today for an insane £5976 over a 1000 times more than the best quote i got online.

wow who offered you car insurance for less than £5.97 cos i will use them next year!! be quick in answering as my insurance is due in 2 weeks.

• 1 year later...

The RAC bunch ignored my letter requesting that I did not want to renew and subsequently renewed the policy without my consent (whilst I was away on holiday!) and took payment from my card company without my knowledge. When I phoned the RAC insurance emergency advice line this morning the very nice lady advised me that I shouldn't rely on posting letters to them - when I explained that I'd tried on several occasions to telephone them but had not been able to speak to anyone because I put was 'on hold' (the longest I held on for was 47 minutes) and got totally fed up with it. However! She then advised me to post the renewed policy documents together with proof that I'd taken out alternative insurance, which I have of course, back to them so that they could refund me! My card company tell me that they are UNABLE TO REFUSE PAYMENT from any company or payee to whom I have made a 'subscription'..even if my card account number is different from the one previously used.

LESSON: Do not make subscriptions to these people

Thus two things to remind myself of today:

Firstly. The old maxim...CAVEAT EMPTOR...buyer beware! If they can cheat you. They will!

and

Secondly: ABC rules...Accept nothing, Believe no-one and Check everything!