RLP and TK MAX Shoplifting! What and when?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey, please don't judge me but i was recently caughts shoplifting in tk maxx for 2 pairs of headphones each worth £9.99 but were removed from packaging and i doubt could be resold. I know this was very dumb of me and i know i will never do it again , the guilt is too much. It was really a dumb thing to do i understand but i need some help.

Me and my friend were caught , with me handling the goods and the security guard dressing in casual clothes , brought us to the back of the store in a room and asked if we knew what we had done, feeling so guilty i told them that i shoplifted and he asked for the goods and did a quick search of our bags. He said he wouldnt call the police as we were very cooperative and he took down our names , addresses and mobile numbers. and made us sign a banning notice from the store. He told me that as i had the goods i was in deeper trouble and that i would soon get a unmarked letter from RLP requiring me to pay a fine.No police were called and this was done in under 15 minutes but he had seen us in the shop for about 30 minutes before on cctv. The guy was very friendly surprisingly , but if my parents find out, they won't be.

The problem is that,

When will the letter from RLP come as this happened yesterday?

What does the letter look like, is it really unmarked or does it say" shoplifting fine" or something.

How much will the fine be approximately?

and if i pay this fine , will it show up on a CRB or Enhanced CRB ?

If i pay by card, how much will that cost me?

I just don't want my parents finding out, and am extremely worried, i have no idea why i did what i did and am extremely ashamed. I've been very nervous and just need some help , I don't mind paying the fine as i know that i am guilty, if you could help me with this , it would be very appreciated thanks..

Hi, my girlfriend is in a similar situation to yourself.

The letter from RLP arrived 5 days afterwards

The only thing on the envelope is there return address in the top left hand corner, it says RLP and not "retail loss prevention" and nothing about "shoplifting fine" or anything like that.

The fine was £137.50 (£110 if paid in 21 days) would imagine yours would be the same. Seems to be the standard amount.

You can pay over the phone by card (no extra charge)

Not sure about the CRB

I would advise you to have a look at the other threads on here regarding RLP though before you decide to pay up.

Hope this helps

Stu

The fine was £137.50

It's not a fine. Please don't post inaccurate information - it isn't helpful.

Only a court can impose a fine when someone has been tried and convicted.

RLP cannot impose fines, and are not part of the criminal justice system, so nothing they do will show up in a CRB check

How much will the fine be approximately?

and if i pay this fine , will it show up on a CRB or Enhanced CRB ?

If i pay by card, how much will that cost me?

I just don't want my parents finding out, and am extremely worried

RLP say that they will add your name to a database that is checked by potential employers (but not CRB) if you pay

Are you under 18?

Thanks guys for replying .

Yeah i am under 18, but rather than having constant letters sent by them , i'd rather pay, but if i pay, what about universities ? can they see this. Because as far as it is concerned this is being handled with out police.

I can't see the police getting involved

have a look at other threads - i have been advising a single (short) letter denying liability and saying that you wont answer futher correspondence (and nothing else)

your age might cause them a problem, but don't mention it

You don't say whether you had left the store - no crime would have been committed anyway if you hadn't

Your parents might be a lot more understanding than you think, though parents are known to panic, especially when they don't know all of the facts

In any event, I don't recommend paying these "speculative invoices" as SP so aptly described them

Hey, you just know they will find out don;t you? - that's what parents are all about. Far better to tell them now. After all, what's the worse they can do? Scream shout, be disappointed? Ground you? Fair play to them, but they may also be prepared to help you out with this - once they get over it that is!

Don;t go paying it, take the advice on here.

I suspect that my wife would be for paying RLP if one of my children had received one of these invoices - probably quickly to get the discount - without thinking of the consequences or considering whether it should be paid at all

You are right, parents do find out everything, so maybe now is the time for kromekid to manage his parent's understanding of RLP's methods & avoid a panic reaction later

Bring back the good old days I reckon, so much simpler. Pinch mars bar from shop, shopkeeper frog marches you home from shop to parents because he knows them, usually by the hair or the ear or something equally belittling. Out comes mother, quick chat with shop keeper, no further arguements, whack. I don't like Mars Bars these days as everytime I see one my left ear tingles and it puts me off! But, job done and no need for anyone to spend even so much as a stamp!

I had an rlp from tkmaxx... When they were filling it out I told them not to bother as I wouldn't pay it and I didn't have to pay it either.... I had a policeman next to me and he remained silent...

RLP sent me a letter and a few more, I read some of them, but after a while I opened it up saw rlp.. and tore it up straight away. It has registered in my head that it is junk mail and should be treated as such...

The outcome....

NOTHING! They have left me alone...

Ignore them no matter what they say and they will forget it... £137.50 isn't the cost... No one earns that much in that job...

I had an rlp from tkmaxx... When they were filling it out I told them not to bother as I wouldn't pay it and I didn't have to pay it either.... I had a policeman next to me and he remained silent...

RLP sent me a letter and a few more, I read some of them, but after a while I opened it up saw rlp.. and tore it up straight away. It has registered in my head that it is junk mail and should be treated as such...

The outcome....

NOTHING! They have left me alone...

Ignore them no matter what they say and they will forget it... £137.50 isn't the cost... No one earns that much in that job...

Were you guilty of anything ? And i still haven't recieved a letter, how many weeks till you got the last letter? like how long did they send you letters from the day at TK Maxx.

I was in a similar situation and I was so scared that they would get the police involved if I didn't pay that i payed up- as unfortunately I knew there would be CCTV on me.

It's up to you if you pay but I think your name ends up on their database whether you pay or not or so I was told but dont worry it will not affect uni at all though as it is nothing to do with a criminal record.

I think my letter came about 14 days after and it has a tiny tiny watermark rlp on the top of the letter with the senders address- no one would have any idea if they didn't know what rlp was don't worry.

It sounds like you've got as much of a scare as I did so take my advice and don't let it happen again- it could end worse next time!

Hope everything works out fine for you x