Laptop broken 1 month out of warranty

soma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it a Pentium laptop? Sounds very much to me as if the laptop is using its safety mechanism to turn off when it is too hot, which 95% of the time is due to positioning the laptop in a place that gives it little ventilation. IF this is the case, then this is not a manufacturing fault. Even if it is not due to poor ventilation, it may be very difficult to pinpoint something which would be classed as a manufacturing fault causing overheating.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Is it a Pentium laptop? Sounds very much to me as if the laptop is using its safety mechanism to turn off when it is too hot, which 95% of the time is due to positioning the laptop in a place that gives it little ventilation. IF this is the case, then this is not a manufacturing fault. Even if it is not due to poor ventilation, it may be very difficult to pinpoint something which would be classed as a manufacturing fault causing overheating.

Its an AMD Turion 64 (review of my model here)

and I think you could be right it is switching itself off to protect damage, however this always happens regardless of how I ventilate the laptop. For example surely sitting the laptop on a normal wooden desk should be fine. I have used the laptop on a cooling pad and it still shuts off so I fail to see how I could ventilate it anymore!?

This is a manufacturing fault causing overheating but surely its not my responsibility to pinpoint the exact fault? All that’s important is that the fault is due to poor manufacturing / design. Whether its CPU / Graphics, fan failure, or blocked air vents?

Response from ebuyer, they will not do anything without proof the laptop is faulty due to a manufacturing fault

So the ball is back in my court, I found a firm who will check out the laptop for £25 to let me know exactly where the problem lies.

What's the best way to raise court action in scotland, and will the case be heard at my local court. I will initiate action and see if they if they back down. you think they would offer something to avoid fighting the case.

• 1 month later...

I've got no experience of the court system in Scotland but I can't imagine it's that different from England's County Courts. Your local Sheriff's Court (think that's what it's called) will be able to give you forms and guidance notes to start your claim. Normally, when it comes to small claims, a case is heard at the defendant's local court but in a case like this you can ask for it to be heard at your local court. This is usually granted when it's an individual against a business, as the small claims court tries very hard to ensure an even playing field - and it is more reasonable to expect a large-ish business to travel or provide representation than it would be for an individual.

With regard to the jurisdiction, there is a European regulation stating that (as long as the purchase is within the EU) when buying online the contract is deemed to be made at the consumer's end. I'll double check this to make sure that companies can't add clauses to alter this, but I don't see how they can!

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.