vectra timing belt.

jimandsue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4487 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, First time on so please bear with.

I drive a 2002 Vauxhall Vectra cd which I bought from new. About ten days ago it started mis-firing so I took it to my local garage. They had to strip the head off to find out what was going on and found that the timing chain tensioner had come appart which had caused the chain to slackern and jump two cogs. This threw out the timing (hence the mis-fire) which then bent 12 of the 16 valves.

The cost of the repair and rebulid is just short of £1000. On investigation through Vauxhall it appears that they had expreienced problems with chain tensioners on this particular model at this time, as the vectra design and shape were being re-newed. Vauxhall then agreed to compensate drivers who had experienced trouble with timing chains on this car and year, but only upto 2007.

I have owned this car from new and have never been asked to check the tensioner or had the car re-called. The first time I heard there was a problem was when it broke.

Has anyone out there heard or experienced this problem, or can offer any advise on how I might push for compensation. P.S. the car has done 79,000 from new and has been regularilly serviced.

Thanks.

if there was a provable national recall (an there is a website to check this thoguh i cant remember it) you might be OK to get vauxhall to fix it. However i have a sneaking suspicion you will need to take it on the chin in the short term!! doesnt strike me as something that will get sorted quickly1!

what engine size is it?

you should be on your second cambelt by now have you had it changed in the past? were the tensioners changed then?

vauxhall and there cambelts and associated bits are a bit of a weak point

Thanks for your replys ninjainthenight and worndown. The vectra is a 2.2 petrol with a timing chain, not belt. I would have expected a chain and tensioner to last more than 78,000, indeed I never even thought about checking it until this happened. As I mentioned before, Vauxhall have admitted problems with their chain and tensioners during the change over from this model design to the new model but will only compensate for problems descovered and reported upto the year 2007. It seems that after that date you have to "take it on the chin" as ninjainthenight puts it. They didn't mention that to me when I bought the thing!

the 2.2's did have problems with there chains and the lubrication system on them.

there was a customer satisfaction program on these and a modified system was fitted to cars after march 2002;

this is the details on it;

Vauxhall TIS

Field Remedy: 1532

Subject: Engine Z22SE - Broken Timing Chain

Models: Engines: Option:

Astra-G 2000...2002,VX220 2000...2002,Speedster 2000...2002,Zafira 2000...2002,Vectra-B 2000...2001 Z22SE,Z22SE,Z22SE,Z22SE,Z22SE

Complaint: Engine damaged by broken timing chain.

Cause: Missing or unsufficient lubrication of the timing chain.

Production: Modified timing chain and lubrication nozzle have been introduced in production as of the following engine-No: 11065400 (March 2002).

Remedy:

Note: Please check first if the car is included in Service Campaign 03-P-24.

In case of customer complaint please use for the necessary repair the timing

chain kit. This kit contains the modified timing chain and lubrication nozzle.

Note: This Quick Information is valid for all Z22SE engines upon customer

complaint.

Spare-Parts: Qty: Part-No.: Catalog-No.:

Timing Chain Repair Kit 1 12577385 56 36 400

Gasket, Cover, Oil Pump 1 90537915 06 46 295

Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover 1 90537319 06 07 494

Gasket, Oil Pump to Cylinder Block 1 24435052 06 46 902

Seal, Ring, Crankshaft Front 1 90571925 06 38 199

Screw, Hex. HD., Damper to Crankshaft 1 90537363 06 14 927

Labour Times: TC: Hours:

U3 153 20 Install timing chain service kit Astra G, 92 3.0

Astra G Coupe, Astra G Convertible

U3 153 21 Install timing chain service kit Zafira A 92 3.3

U3 153 22 Install timing chain service kit 92 3.7

Vectra B (w/o A/C)

001 Additional work Vectra B(with Air Condition) 92 1.1

U3 153 23 Install timing chain service kit 92 4.6

Speedster, VX220

U3 153 24 Repair engine 92

The costs for this repair will be covered for vehicles until 31.12.2007 and

a mileage lower than 100.000 Km.

The regular warranty procedure should be used for claiming Set-up-time.

It looks like that you need to check your engine number to see what version you have but it looks unlikely that anyone will help im afraid

I think it's important to point out here exactly what a "recall" is. There are two types and over the last couple of years it seems apparent that some posters seem to believe that there is some obligation by the manufactuer to honour these.

Recalls fall into two categories. 1. A recall instigated by the manufactuer themselves 2. A recall instigated in conjunction with VOSA or any other countries regulatory body.

Predominantly recalls instigated by VOSA are safety related and have no end date. The manufactuer has to cover a high percentage of vehicles affected within a set range of VIN numbers and only when this figure has been achieved are they allowed to close it down.

In the case of 1. which this post falls under, the manufactuer has identified an issue and will actively pursue the cars upto a certain point, generally 5 years but it depends on the type of issue. There is a clear cut off point ie a date.

The unfortunate part of this policy is that invariably cars leave the dealer network after 3 years or so they have no way of checking where they are and as it it not a VOSA driven recall do not make use of the expensive tracing facillites that are available.

Recalls should also not be confused with quality campaigns where the manufactuer might update software or change something for a more durable part.

• 11 months later...

Hi

Interestingly I have a 2005 Vectra 2.2i auto and have just had a conversation with both the dealer and vauxhall customer service who have advised that my car is outside of the range for repair of the timing chain tensioner. Could be facing a bill of £1000!! :-x

The next steps are for a vauxhall garage to inspect it, which I am liable for, and then Vauxhall MAY provide a good will gesture dependent on the results...... this seems to be an extremely common fault.

Now having to write to the Managing Director to see if I have any recourse .... not sure where this will get me?! Has anyone else gone down this avenue and if so, was it a favourable outcome or am I wasting my time?!

PS *having now had three costly manufacturing faults with vauxhall it will be last time I buy vauxhall .... seems they need to sort there supply chain or quality inspection issues out!!

Can I suggest you satrt your own thread Ragdoll? You don't seem to be attracting any advice here. this thread is almost a year old!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.