Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Uneasy said - "I have another issue with the salesman mis selling. However, this is verbal and would require evidence from my witness the student and Barclays witness the salesman. Their defence would be that Advent’s salesman was being mischievous.,p/>I think the mis-selling is a strong point for us. It's worth researching on CompTIA, Microsoft and other IT qualification websites as to exactly when your exams on your course were due to expire/ be retired by Microsft (were you sold a qualification that would soon be redundant in the industry?), and were they even relevant? I found out I could have bypassed the MCSE and done the CIW design certification without it, so I was mis-sold a whole chunk of a course I did not need for the field I wanted to go into. The Microsoft A+ Essentials exams 220-601 and 220-602 (mainstream support for Windows Server 2003 MCSA) were retired in July 2010. Microsoft were already advising students in Nov 2009 apparently that the MCSA exam was due to be replaced.Author of the CompTIA study books used by Advent, Mike Meyers, comments on the ‘Go Certify’ website (http://www.gocertify.com/article/meyers-aplus.shtml) that the A+ is the “first certification to get for those wishing to embark in a career in PC repair. Of course, it seems no one stays as just a PC tech. As a tech's skills grow he tends to move up and out into more advanced aspects of the IT world: network administration, network infrastructure, management. The list is potentially long, but those who want to enter the IT world via the classic, entry-level PC tech position will find the A+ a welcome addition to their resumes.” (Emphasis mine). As further proof, I tried one of the free tests for the CIW Designer certificate on the ‘Pass it Now’ website (http://www.passitnow.com/ciw1.html) which allows would-be students to test their current IT knowledge on actual past exam questions to assess if a particular certificate is above/below their skill level before committing. I scored a pass mark, proving I didn't need the first certificate (which Advent salesman insisted I had to pass first). CIW sell their course packs and an exam voucher direct to the public on their own website. I could have just taken that and put myself in for the exam independantly.So were we being talked into doing modules and certificates we didn't need and would be useless in the real world? Worth you looking into this, plus of course the 'sign up quick or lose your place' pressure letter everyone was sent!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My case is a guarantor for the student. As a matter of interestlink3.gif, my agreement states ‘This is a Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms’, this is also repeated on the top of the Agreement form. According to the Ombudsmanlink3.gif’s final decision this cannot apply as the debtor-creditor-supplier relationship has not been created. So why put it on?

It isn't that the agreement isn't valid, or that it isn't bound by the consumer credit act, it is that section 75 of the consumer credit act (the bit that makes barclays liable for any breaches of contract or misrep on the part of advent) does not apply. Most of the rest of the consumer credit act will apply to the agreement.

what about the fact being we didnot deal directly with BPF, the loan part of the agreement was dealt by Advent, we didnot see any of the money, either cash or on the debit card nor did we see any of BPF rep, so now we have no course because advent is no more there and hence for BPF to recover or whatever the money is to dealt with advent , because I believe it was arrange in such a way to begin with so they (BPF) IMO must chase advent to get their money not us(Student), any thoughts ?

Mis-selling is still a serious breach of the law, but in my case I was investigating any written evidence that may be more easily accepted in defence.

A decision by the Ombudsman not to accept the extended termination period agreed by the salesman at the time has made me review the early letters received. I notice from a letter sent from BPF dated 22nd December 2009 (strange as I didn’t sign the agreement until the 23rd December 2009) states ‘You have 5 days starting with the day after you receive this notice’. The letter was received on the 4th January 2010, which takes us to the 10th January 2010 to cancel. According to the Advent web site at the time from a copy I took states ‘Funding from enrolments through Barclays made since the 9th January 2010 has been retained by Barclays and NOT forwarded to Advent’. Would it not have been prudent for Barclays to withhold advancing payments to Advent until after the cancellation deadline. In that case no money would have been forwarded. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
what about a few of us swearing affidavits confirming the misselling? has that been thought about?

someone a while back mentioned that she was prepared to take a lie detector test.. I thought that was extreamely good idea

anyone for Jeramy Kyle.. dont tick the box for a DNA test.. it could be maury who is the dad

Hi Guys

I take you have all been reading about the riots and that people have had the homes burned down?

well one woman in Tottenam whose home was burned down and bulldozed had this done

She called her bank.. The Woolwich asking is she could have a 2 month payment holiday.. the bank said no when she mentioned that her home no longer existed because its been bulldozed down could they not take this into account.. the bank said this makes no difference.. you owe us the money so you must pay.. does this sound familiar? well it should because guess who owns The Woolwich bank..

.. yes you guessed it.. lets have another round of applause for our friends at Barclays.. well done for yet another own goal in market PR

Hey everyone. I know its gone quiet on here but has anyone had any luck. I have recieved no contact from any debt collectors or barclays for a few months again. I have just been reading some posts on facebook and there is someone saying they have had their debt cleared. Apparently they got a solicitor Bartletts who contacted the ombudsman and now the person who posted this has recieved a letter from barclays saying they are offering to clear their debt. Fuzzbutt any updates or your court date or owt. Fuzzbutt your part of the facebook group that this has been posted on.

Hey everyone. I know its gone quiet on here but has anyone had any luck. I have recieved no contact from any debt collectors or barclays for a few months again. I have just been reading some posts on facebook and there is someone saying they have had their debt cleared. Apparently they got a solicitor Bartletts who contacted the ombudsman and now the person who posted this has recieved a letter from barclays saying they are offering to clear their debt. Fuzzbutt any updates or your court date or owt. Fuzzbutt your part of the facebook group that this has been posted on.

I dont use facebook so I have not seen what you wrote about.

I would be very suspicious of barclays offer to write of debts.. its not in their nature to do so, usually when they do something its because they are made to do it, and to date the Ombudsman has been squarely on the side of barclays so I wonder what has happened.

Please take note that in early 90's when last recession had taken hold many people could no longer afford to pay the loans on their houses, they gave their house keys to the banks and the banks sold them on to get money back on the loans.. years later when things had settled the banks were back claiming that the loan was still in force and that payments were still due and was making them pay what ever they could towards the loans... we need to learn from history.. never trust banks.. specially when they are smiling

I'm not sure what to make of the Facebook claim - I've asked the guy to give us more info as what he said is a bit sketchy. Apparently his solicitor got him out of his loan somehow, but he didn't explain on what grounds/arguments used (which would be helpful).The FB group is 'Advent Sca*med Us' if anyone wants to search for it via google.

I've had BPF's defence document now that they provided to the court to counter my claim - much of the same bull they supplied to FOS, pleading that they provided the 'bespoke' courses and we were all told about them. Don't know about anyone else but I wasn't informed by BPF or CT about the arrangement and lots of people on FB responded likewise when I asked if anyone had received notification and details of the new terms and conditions, or the new course breakdown. I didn't find out until months later and too late to take up the offer (even if I'd wanted to).

I'm not sure what to make of the Facebook claim - I've asked the guy to give us more info as what he said is a bit sketchy. Apparently his solicitor got him out of his loan somehow, but he didn't explain on what grounds/arguments used (which would be helpful).The FB group is 'Advent Sca*med Us' if anyone wants to search for it via google.

I've had BPF's defence document now that they provided to the court to counter my claim - much of the same bull they supplied to FOS, pleading that they provided the 'bespoke' courses and we were all told about them. Don't know about anyone else but I wasn't informed by BPF or CT about the arrangement and lots of people on FB responded likewise when I asked if anyone had received notification and details of the new terms and conditions, or the new course breakdown. I didn't find out until months later and too late to take up the offer (even if I'd wanted to).

Hi Fuzzbutt

I seem to only remember a letter in march from BPF informing me that they had found a new training company for me to continue studies.. the rest of the letter was telling me they would again start taking money from my account.

I do not remember seeing/reading any terms and conditions so no new contract etc.. though I do remember (will have to check) about extra 3 months study time.

I had just one letter too, 10pack, from CT introducing me to the new course (which they refused to supply me details of without me verifying my details - i.e signing up to them!).The first mention I saw of the bespoke arrangement was on CT website in an announcement in October, 7 months later. I'm using the dismal failure in communication between CT/BPF and the students in my defence (which I have to submit to the court next week).

I had just one letter too, 10pack, from CT introducing me to the new course (which they refused to supply me details of without me verifying my details - i.e signing up to them!).The first mention I saw of the bespoke arrangement was on CT website in an announcement in October, 7 months later. I'm using the dismal failure in communication between CT/BPF and the students in my defence (which I have to submit to the court next week).

Good Luck next week

Thanks 10pack - will get an actual hearing date pretty soon after submission of evidence I hope. Small claim is supposed to be fast track - I just want it over now.

Good Luck Fuzz, I've been just keeping an eye to see how you get on and I truly hope you get them good and the Judge sees it for what we all know it to be.

Also Good Luck to anyone else doing the same. I'm not up to date with the thread.

I just feel screwed so am ignoring everyone and everything. Haven't found a light at the end of the tunnel still wallowing around in the dark alone. Truth is I gave up. it's made me ill.

I never hated anything with as much vengeance as I do this Bank.

Thanks too to you guys for keeping the thread going I keep hoping we'll hear of someone winning. I really hope you win Fuzz that would be great news and I'd like to thank you for everything

you have done along the way I'll look in again soon and will be sending good wishes your way as I'm sure everyone will be right behind you. :biggrin:

Good Luck Fuzz, I've been just keeping an eye to see how you get on and I truly hope you get them good and the Judge sees it for what we all know it to be.

Also Good Luck to anyone else doing the same. I'm not up to date with the thread.

I just feel screwed so am ignoring everyone and everything. Haven't found a light at the end of the tunnel still wallowing around in the dark alone. Truth is I gave up. it's made me ill.

Thanks too to you guys for keeping the thread going I keep hoping we'll hear of someone winning. I really hope you win Fuzz that would be great news and I'd like to thank you for everything

you have done along the way I'll look in again soon and will be sending good wishes your way as I'm sure everyone will be right behind you. :biggrin:

Thanks guys.

Keep your chin up, Bluedo! Could be light at the end of the tunnel for everyone if I win (which I'm confident of doing - have a pile of good evidence), even for those of you in the guarantors situation.

I'll let everyone know the court date when I get one.

I really hope you pull this off Fuzz, the financial aspect of things is really starting to hit me and family now and the £6000 spent on the course could really be put to good use elsewhere now.

Good luck from my whole family and me.

I'm exactly feeling same. GOOD LUCK FUZZ.