CC debt with HSBC passed on to Metropolitan then to Moorcroft but I am not living in the UK any more

cyjambo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

This is my first post, so please be easy on me :)

I have a small little problem, a CC debt of around 500 GBP (sorry, I don't have a pound sign on my laptop :) ).

The situation is the following:

I lived in the UK for about 5 years. I had a bank account and CC with HSBC, which I reguralry used, but I left the country in April 2009.

On current account there was an overdraft of about 250 GBP and on my CC a debt of about 500 GBP.

(I also had a Lloyds account with an overdraft of about 250 GBP, but that is ok, the online banking still works and I will pay it back, since I don't want to loose the account.)

So I left the country not really caring about all those accounts, I thought I'd paid them back when I had money and a job.

I am in Austria now, and since I finally found a job and will start working on Monday, I wanted to check what the situation is with the banks. ( I know it took me long to find a job, I guess I had a long holiday :) ).

HSBC has closed my current account and canceled my CC. I still have my Savings account with 0 GBP on it. I called the bank, they said they closed the account and transferred my debt to their collection agency, Metropolitan. When I called Metropolitan, they told me that the debt was now with Moorcroft and I need to give them a call.

So when I called Moorcroft, I told them what the situation was and that I am not living in the UK any more but I will be able to pay back my debt in a month or two.

According to their records I have an outstanding balance of 555,11 GBP.

Now my question and problem is: How do I know where this 555,11 came from, and if this is the amount I should be paying? What about that other overdraft of about 250 ? Did that just disappear? Is that possible? (I wouldn't mind :) ).

And what is the guarantee that I don't need to pay anything more than this when I paid it?

I read around the forums and found that I can request a CCA.

So I called them up (Moorcroft) and asked for one. The lady started asking for my details and address and everything, but I explained to her that I don't have an address in the UK any more, and I would like this CCA to be sent to my new address in Vienna, Austria where I live now. She told me that it's not a problem, just send the letter and 1 GBP.

Should I send cash in the post?

Do you think it was a good idea to get a CCA?

I wonder if anyone has experience when it comes to this situation? Eg. left the country, but would like to settle my debt.

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

I did search the forums but didn't find anything that would resebmle my situation.

Thanks a lot

Edited by cyjambo

Hi there,

This is my first post, so please be easy on me :)

I have a small little problem, a CC debt of around 500 GBP (sorry, I don't have a pound sign on my laptop :) ).

The situation is the following:

I lived in the UK for about 5 years. I had a bank account and CC with HSBC, which I reguralry used, but I left the country in April 2009.

On current account there was an overdraft of about 250 GBP and on my CC a debt of about 500 GBP.

(I also had a Lloyds account with an overdraft of about 250 GBP, but that is ok, the online banking still works and I will pay it back, since I don't want to loose the account.)

So I left the country not really caring about all those accounts, I thought I'd paid them back when I had money and a job.

I am in Austria now, and since I finally found a job and will start working on Monday, I wanted to check what the situation is with the banks. ( I know it took me long to find a job, I guess I had a long holiday :) ).

HSBC has closed my current account and canceled my CC. I still have my Savings account with 0 GBP on it. I called the bank, they said they closed the account and transferred my debt to their collection agency, Metropolitan. When I called Metropolitan, they told me that the debt was now with Moorcroft and I need to give them a call.

So when I called Moorcroft, I told them what the situation was and that I am not living in the UK any more but I will be able to pay back my debt in a month or two.

According to their records I have an outstanding balance of 555,11 GBP.

Now my question and problem is: How do I know where this 555,11 came from, and if this is the amount I should be paying? What about that other overdraft of about 250 ? Did that just disappear? Is that possible? (I wouldn't mind :) ).

And what is the guarantee that I don't need to pay anything more than this when I paid it? _ It is possible that the amount has been written off - it is equally possible that the amount has been farmed out to a debt collector of some kind

I read around the forums and found that I can request a CCA.

So I called them up (Moorcroft) and asked for one. The lady started asking for my details and address and everything, but I explained to her that I don't have an address in the UK any more, and I would like this CCA to be sent to my new address in Vienna, Austria where I live now. She told me that it's not a problem, just send the letter and 1 GBP. the CCA request is a formal request for a copy of the agreement, there is a statutory fee of £1 for this request and you should make it clear that the moeny is for that purpose only

Should I send cash in the post? - No send a cheque or postal order only - since you are no longer in the Uk do you have a friend or family member who would send a chq or postal order on your behalf?

Do you think it was a good idea to get a CCA? Yes, it is also a good idea to request a breakdown of how the amount outstanding has been reached, if it includes and charges

I wonder if anyone has experience when it comes to this situation? Eg. left the country, but would like to settle my debt.

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

I did search the forums but didn't find anything that would resebmle my situation.

Thanks a lot,

Attila

The CCA letter should be unsigned and posted recorded delivery (registered is better if you can afford it) obtain proof of posting and proof of delivery of all correspondence.

Ok, Thanks for the quick reply. I understand.

There is just one thing. I do have a friend in London who would be able to send a postal order on my behalf, but is it ok if he sends this separately of my letter?

Also, what do you think would happen if I just left the whole thing and not cared about it any more? They can send letters to my old address, makes no difference...

Thanks for the info!

Edited by cyjambo

Hi, cyjambo.

Sending a Subject Access Request to your Origional Creditors will let you know the score regarding charges ect that have been added to your accounts, you can re-claim these charges on Credit Card accounts.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert