style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jacobs are chasing us for council tax arrears, there are 2 bills outstanding. I have read a number of your threads and understand that we must not let them gain entry into the house. After they left the first letter I phoned the bailiff to make an arrangement which he agreed to but said he needed to come to the house for me to sign papers. I made it clear to him that I would not sign anything and he would not be entering my house, he then refused to make the arrangement.

I wrote a letter to his firm of bailiffs who replied they could not deal with me as I had to speak to the bailiff who attended my home. The council do not want to know although I have continued to pay the amount offered to the council by online payments.

This morning when leaving for work there was another notice left in the porch, the bailiff had levied on my husbands van the notice says he attended at 7.30am.He did not knock on the door or try to speak to us.

I understand that he cannot levy on the van because it is used for my husbands work, I phoned Jacobs who agreed that he cannot levy on the van, I asked if they wouyld tell their bailiff this but was told he already knows?? My worry is that he has given us 5 days to pay,which we cannot do, the debt or he will take van. As bailiffs have history of doing all the things they are not supposed to I am really worried.

Any advice please?

I too have just had a letter from the lovely Jacobs. At the bottom it stipulates that any arrangement to pay in installments is made subject to a bailiff calling to my property and completing paperwork (which incurs a fee). The relevant paperwork involving pricing up my possessions. Can they do this? Do I have to let them in to make an installment plan and why do I have to pay for the pleasure of setting up a plan to pay them.

I took advice from NationalDebtline and was told NO you don't have to let them in and indeed you shouldn't. Apparently this is a new tactic of Jacobs. I'm sure somebody who knows a lot more about this will be along shortly to answer both our queries.

I too have just had a letter from the lovely Jacobs. At the bottom it stipulates that any arrangement to pay in installments is made subject to a bailiff calling to my property and completing paperwork (which incurs a fee). The relevant paperwork involving pricing up my possessions. Can they do this? Do I have to let them in to make an installment plan and why do I have to pay for the pleasure of setting up a plan to pay them.

Hi Welcome to our world, if you start a new thread you will get a better targetted response, here's the link

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=168

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With more and more people becoming "streetwise" to how to handle bailiffs (thanks to CAG and other groups) the easiest target is the a vehicle.

For the nvehicle to have been levied you should have been given a Notice of Seizure of Goods and also an inventory of the goods seized.

Check the inventory very carefully against the vehicle. - In my case they got the colour, registrationn AND the tax disc serial number wrong, making it invalid and illegal.

Is the van sign written? Apart from bailiffs having goldfish memories and selective hearing their eyesight is not too good either.

In the meantime pay the CT online regardless and ignore the bailiff totally.

OK own up, who swapped the A and I on my keyboard ? :D

DEALING WITH BAILIFFS ON YOUR DOORSTEP

1. ALWAYS! Keep your door LOCKED SHUT at all times. NEVER open the door to a bailiff - speak to him through a window or the letterbox

2. ALWAYS! Hide your car - in the garage or park it well away

3. ALWAYS! Take photographs of the bailiff and his vehicle, even better use a camcorder and video-record EVERYTHING

4. ALWAYS! Speak as LITTLE AS POSSIBLE and let the bailiff do the talking

5. ALWAYS! Ask for his bailiff's certificate number

6. ALWAYS! Ask which court issued his certificate

7. ALWAYS! Ask for a full breakdown of his fees IN WRITING

8. ALWAYS! Ask who the creditor is (if you don't know)

9. ALWAYS! Pay using a credit card, avoid cash and debit cards if possible

10. ALWAYS! If you have grounds, get an appeal lodged immediately (parking tickets) - it stops enforcement

1. NEVER! Sign any documents handed to you by a bailiff

2. NEVER! Phone a bailiff (unless asking him which Court issued his certificate)

3. NEVER! Admit any debt

4. NEVER! Say or "confirm" your name address or date of birth

this is very good advice originally posted by Happy Contrails

There is no law that staes you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff. They are invariably liars, cheats & bullies and will try their best to intimidate you. They will threaten all sorts - prison, locksmiths, police etc. It's all a load of bull. He doesn't need to use the phone, water for tablets or any other myriad of excuses he thinks up. There is of course an old 2 word Anglo Saxon word that he can be told to do. If you owe Council Tax, check with the Council how much etc - they'll refuse to take it back but you can always pay them direct online - mind you may have to budget in some Bailiff fees you incur and as long as you deny him the chance to levy/seize your goods then this will be capped at £42-50, no matter how many times he calls. If your car is outside move it NOW to a good 10 minute walk away - if it's still on finance you could argue any levy made by providing proof of finance.

If he gains entry he will make a list of your possessions, there are some he can't seize but some of these numpties are so thick they list them anyway, then cry when they realise they've cocked it all up.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well bailiff called today, I would not let him in so he would not make arrangement, he admitted he could not take van but said he wasn't really interested in it as he a had charged walking possession fee anyway?? He said next step would be enforcement bailiff who would remove my possessions. I am going to continue to pay as much as I can. Any comments please.

He cant charge a walking possession fee if he has not made a levy on your goods. Also no enforcement can be made on your goods without a levy plus they have to get in first and cannot do that unless they gain peaceful entry. I dont suppose you are going to let that happen now are you ;) Pay what you can to the council via their online payment facility, email them and explain that this is what you are preparing to do until they take back the debt from the bailiffs.