can i claim out of warranty laptop from play.com?

cv65user
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can i claim out of warranty laptop from play.com?

I bought an Acer aspire one laptop on 21/11/2008 Posted: 27/11/2008 @ £189.99 from play.com

It went faulty on 09/2010. I went to acer and called acer who said they can only do out of warranty repair and wanted something like 60 just to look at it. and 90 for a replacement mainboard if that was the fault which is half the price i paid for the damm thing. It turns on and turns off straight away even with battery unplugged and only mains plugged in. So its nothing to do with battery. I took it to a local repair shop who said it is common problem for graphics chip to go on these small 8" netbooks and he said he would do a rework on it. But he gave it back to me no fix no fee.

So I just had under two years usage. I only just read about the SOGA 1979 that it must work for a reasonable time up to six years so can I claim against play.com. Is there any template letters?

I dont have a laptop so this would be a great Christmas bonus if I could get repair/replacement or credit towards cost of a new laptop. I have bought many items from play.com before and found delivery times to be excellent but never have had to deal with thier customer service.

I asked this question on moneysavingexpert but they mention pllay.com is not a uk co but a gersey channel so it means i am stumped?

• 3 weeks later...

If you do push for a repair under SOGA, they could bounce it back if they see evidence of a 3rd party repairer performing the rework on the motherboard.

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Also at that price, it is a budget model and will not benefit from 6 years. As it performed ad advertised without issue, it is not inherently faulty, so it remains for you to prove otherwise. Secondly, Play.Com is not classed as a UK seller, as they are based in Jersey, and a different legal system.

Because the warranty seal will be broken they will reject that you have any right to a warranty claim, and may even refuse even a chargeable repair due to the external repair attempt. It is not unreasonable for a fee to be charged to repair an issue, but it is unreasonable to expect Play.Com should attempt to mop up where your repairer failed.

The product was checked out, but no attempt was made to fix the product, so 'but it is unreasonable to expect Play.Com should attempt to mop up where your repairer failed' doesn't apply.

Also at that price, it is a budget model and will not benefit from 6 years. As it performed ad advertised without issue, it is not inherently faulty, so it remains for you to prove otherwise. Secondly, Play.Com is not classed as a UK seller, as they are based in Jersey, and a different legal system.

Because the warranty seal will be broken they will reject that you have any right to a warranty claim, and may even refuse even a chargeable repair due to the external repair attempt. It is not unreasonable for a fee to be charged to repair an issue, but it is unreasonable to expect Play.Com should attempt to mop up where your repairer failed.

If he didn't open it, what did he intend doing? That will mean he anti tamper screws are intact, but Play Com will reject the claim as being out of warranty. I'd go to the source - get the manufacturer to give it the onceover or use the money this would cost and get a modern tablet.