British Credit Trust Advice would be greatly apprecaited - Could Car Be Repo'd???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a HP with British Credit Trust and have got in to arrears the past few months due to unemployment but now back in employment and receiving a steady income. For the past few months I have made payments and missed payments and have several arrangements a few of which have broken in between or rearranged. I owe £980 in total which is due to finish February 2010, the problem I have is we had made an arrangment to payment £25 last tuesday (which we did) and then to pay £200 today (which we couldnt, as our car BROKE DOWN and had to go to a garage so we then had a garage bill of £300 to pay) what my problem is is that they wrote in their last EMAIL to me that if i broke this arrangemnet then no other arrangement would be put in place and that was their last one they would accept and the full balance would be due. Would it help if i explained to the the reason why i didnt pay today??? I am due to make another payment of £200 on 24th which is next week. I am able to pay them this (its they normal monthly payment) and would be willing to payment then an additional payment, do you think they will accept or will they start repossession process. But earlier this year i do recall a conversation I had with one of their collegues, i had expressed my concerns about future repossession and they advised that this would not happen as I have been making payments to the account would this be the case???

PLease help any advice would be most apprecaited

Thanks in advance

As you have paid more than 2/3rds of the value of the car they cannot take it without a court order, and by the time they manage to get one you should have paid them off.

Email them informing them of this fact and tell them that you reserve the right to have a full statement of account to see what additional charges have been piled on....

There is little they can do here other than to threaten what they CANNOT legally do.

When did you say the agreement was due to finish? Feb 2010 has passed, did you mean Feb 2011? As sillygirl said you have paid more than 1/3 of the agreement there is nothing they can do really as they can't take it without a court order make sure you make them aware you know this. If the agreement is due to finish in Feb 2011, then at best including the arrears you owe 6 months which you will more than likely have paid by the time you get to court stage if they terminate the agreement.

Any reasonable judge isn't going to allow a repo of your car with so little left to pay when you can clearly afford to pay, the danger will come when they start adding termination fees to the agreement, solicitors fees & court costs which could easily add £600 to the amount remaining, I would be certain to point out it would be best to allow you to clear the balance without the need for litigation and set out a payment schedule in a letter, send it recorded delivery print off a copy and attach the reciept file away and keep safe just in case court action follows this way you can point out to the judge of any vexatious claim brought by BCT.

These people and their useless solicitors (I won't name them in case it brings trouble) are pathetic and couldn't organise a pi** up in a brewery never mind bring court action to a sole defendant.

Thank you for your advice was very much appreciated and very helpful.

They wanted £227 today but I told them I'd only pay this if I had sufficent funds avaliable so they reset a new arrangement that I pay this then 3 further payments of £200.00 till february (btw those of which will be paid as they are due to be taken from my account when our wages hit the bank) but as I had insufficent funds avaliable to the amount of £227.00 All i managed to pay today via their NEW online payment service was £25.00 I suppose better than nothing and I'm going to continue to do this till next monthly payment. I will email them again to advise them of this and hope for the best.

What do you think?

thanks

Hi Weescotschick,

Welcome to the CAG

I read your original post. And just wanted to clarify one or two things, to see if I or others can help? So I ask to gain insight, nothing more.

If I have read your post correctly? Due to previous unemployment, you have missed payments from a payment plan agreed.... previously?

However, excellent news, as you have now been back in employment with a steady income stream and have made a subsequent payment plan.

However, as a consequence of a £300 garage repair curve ball you were unable to honour a commitment to pay £200 on the 16th November and further, as stated in your post of 16th November, you are now unable to pay £200 on the 24th November, (which you intimated you would be able to make and that this was a normal payment date too),

However, 5 days on from your 16th November posting, you are only in a position, where you are able to pay £25.

No judgments on the CAG Weescotschick, honest. But if that is the complete picture, I am not sure what help and advice is further available to you from the forum until some other action is intimated or actioned upon from them? Other than what you are proposing by way of keeping them informed viaa email of your intentions.

Obviously, any suggestion of another revision to any existing payment plan is only as strong as the pledge from the person who is making it.

Charges and interests are no doubt being added and will be liable in any event so the quicker you are able to bring this under control the sooner you will be able to take charge of your finances going forward.

It is highly unlikely that any seizure of your vehicle will be actioned, but keeping to your plan is the best course of action to negate any such action arising.