Apple Components

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I wonder if you guys can help.

I have an Apple Macbook that i have owned for around 2 years now. It was purchased out right and not on credit so i fully own it.

About 4 months ago i started to have issued with battery life in that without the charger being attached the battery would last a maximum of 1 hour...this was down from about 2.5/3 hours when it was new.

I know that the product is out of the standard one year warranty but i read or heard somewhere that companies are liable to ensure that products 'work' properly for a period of 6 years...is this correct and if so could i say to Apple that they should give me a replacement battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

I believe the rule is that a product should work properly for a 'reasonable period' rather than a specific time, and what is reasonable will of course depend on the type of product and how it has been used.

For example, my washing machine is used for two adults, so I would expect it to last a lot longer than the same model used for a family of 6. I would also expect a washing machine to last longer than a cheap MP3 player.

It has to be worth talking to Apple - go in to your local shop if you can since it's always harder to say no to someone face to face - but be prepared for them to say no. Batteries are one of the things we should expect to have to replace.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I know that the product is out of the standard one year warranty but i read or heard somewhere that companies are liable to ensure that products 'work' properly for a period of 6 years...

The 6 years is a general limit with regard for instance to goods conforming to description or fit for purpose. If the usual purpose would not be so long or if the original description was not to the effect that a product should last so long the effect of the statutory protection applies appropriately.

If this is not already a part of their small print, I would start by asking Apple how long a battery is supposed to last, and if their promise is more than the two years, hold them to that.

When goods fail to conform you are indeed entitled to a repair or replacement, which is not to offer an opinion about an Apple.

8)