• Tweets

• First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
    • Thank you for telling us the text of the letter you had from the police. As we don't seem to have come across this before, it would be really useful for us to see the original please. HB
    • Pasco has recalled 104,000 packs of sliced bread after rat remains were found in at least two packs.View the full article
    • UPDATE I went rooting through an old box of paperwork I have and I've found the original Default Notice. It is dated **/**/201*, however.. The copy of the Default Notice that they sent with the LBC has a completely different date on it 😮 Can they issue 2 default notices for the same debt? Where they have changed the date on the copy, they have also changed the amount owed through failed payments and how much is required to be paid by a certain date. In addition, they sent (with the 1st LBC) a copy of the termination of the agreement, which I cannot find the original. However, the termination date is 3 days after the date given on the (doctored) Default Notice, by which monies are to be paid by. So, they gave until the 'x' date to pay the arrears, then terminated the agreement 3 days later. I bet a dollar to a dime they've doctored the termination date also.
    • Having looked through the paperwork, I note they have sent 3 seperate LBCs. Two are in the name of FCA Automotive (1st one issued 21 Jan 2020, 2nd one 21 Sept 2022) and the last one (issued 12 Sept 2023) is under CA Auto Finance UK Limited. In the first one, they did send a copy of the default notice, but this was not sent with the 2nd LBC and neither was it sent with the last one either. .  A quick look at the default notice and I see it states the agreement start date was not the same day as the original agreement was signed. It's a day different but do not know if that makes any difference. Also, I note we received a letter on the 16 Nov 2023 which states of a 14 day notice of intention to issue claim form. Heard nothing since that, until this court claim arrived. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reliable Collections chasing OH's JDW cat debt

paulh1818
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I received a letter from reliable collections today. So thats two debts I now have. Probably more to follow. I'm going to offer them £10 a month, like I will with every dca.

However, I just wondered what you wonderful ladies and gentlemen make of a particular line from their letter, 'We can offer a range of solutions that will ensure that you only pay exactly what you can afford. In addition, if you need help with any other debts we will act on your behalf to talk to your creditors'.

Now, before finding cag a few days ago, I might have taken up the offer because I really am quite afraid of court and laws etc... But after reading what some dca's get up to, I'm asking myself whats the catch?

Paul

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why offer them £10 a month!

Whats the alleged debt for and do they have the right to collect it?

As for their missive offering to help with other debts, that is up their with "Valid even if not read by you"................:biggrin1:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

LOL! It's just a catalogue debt that I've fallen behind with. It's only £200 so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe I should ask them to contact Kays catalogue for me to sort that bill out. That one's a whopper.

You know on DCA letters they are usually headed with a big bold threat such as 'LEGAL PROCEEDINDS IMMINENT!', well, this one says 'HERE TO HELP PLEASE READ ON' LOL!!!

Paul

Agree - don't offer any payments until you obtain more information about the debt and their right to collect it. Also your other debts and income/expenditure have nothing to do with them. Offering a DCA a small amount will only encourage them to pester you to pay more.

NEVER speak to these people on the phone - either by calling them if they ring you and never give them a phone number or any bank details (even a cheque or by setting up a Direct Debit).

Many DCAs (all probably) will threaten legal action and all sorts (bailiffs etc). You have to be aware of the proof they need to obtain a CCJ and your own rights. The courts are there to protect YOU and not for the benefit of DCAs.

How old is the debt and what is it for?

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Thanks, as I said its a £200 catalogue debt and I've just recently fallen behind with payments. Originally opened the account in 2008. I havn't spoken to them at all. Infact, I've unplugged my phone such is the extent calls I've been getting from various 'creditors'.

Sorry - posts crossed.

If you want to pay this off - try the OC and try to arrange a settlement, avoid the DCA.

However, Take care if any other DCAs contact you.

donate

Thanks coledog, there will be a few over the coming weeks I fear. I'm quite happy to pay something to any debt I owe. However small the amount maybe. I just hope they all accept. Just noticed reliable collections are adding some sort of charges though...

Regardless whether they accept or not, you can only pay what you want, don't let them dictate to you the amount, you tell them what they will receive end of.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yes thats true Bazooka. My plan was to offer £10 a month then if they are happy so am I. If they are not happy I ask them to produce an agreement. If they produce a valid agreement I continue to pay £10. If they don't, I offer £5 a month as a goodwill gesture. Does this sound reasonable?

No - don't make an offer until you have taken some advice.

Avoid 'reliable collections'. Get help here to decide if each debt is enforcable and if you need to obtain a credit agreement or challenge the amount they say that you owe.

Work out what you can afford and tell the creditor in writing. Never get involved in discussions with them or agree to send details of your income, expenditure or other debts, they are NOT entitled to know this. Keep copies of everything sent and received (including envelopes).

donate

It is entirely up to you how much you offer to pay them, as a rule I normally offer say £5 a month, then when they refuse it, I offer them a £ less, each and every time they refuse my offer, I reduce the amount by a £, until they either learn the error of their ways and accept, or my offer drops right down to the token payment of £1 a month, either way they learn that I am the one in control, NOT them.

Your offer sounds more than reasonable to me.

Don't worry about the envelopes but keep in future, some DCAs can be 'creative' about when things were actually sent.

Enforcability depends on the age of the debt, the type and the amount. If yours are all small and started after 2007 they could well be enforcable but check to see if you are being hit for lots of charges, PPI etc. It is worth checking it out before making an offer.

donate

No - you can request it, there is a template you need to send with a £1 postal order. Send recorded delivery and print your name - do not sign. Are Reliant actually chasing you for this debt? If so send it to them (they will probably send it back to the OC) if not send to the OC. Allow 12 working days (plus 2 for postage) and if nothing returned you can put the account in dispute. If they return an agreement you can get it checked ot here but will have to scan it with all pesonal data removed.

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Tradinglink3.gif Regulations 2008 (CPUTR). I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

Yours faithfully

PRINT NAME

donate

I am currently fighting with VERY catalogue and NEXT Directory. I sent VERY an SAR which I received yesterday. Just wadding through all the paperwork and there is loads of chargers to claim back.

Have you thought about sending these a SAR and checking chargers and PPI? Tenner well spent

• 1 month later...

Iv'e been very lazy with these people. I've had bigger fish to fry so I have just ignored them. Yesterday they sent a letter to say that after their investigations they have discovered that I am still resident at this address. I'm well chuffed for them! However today I have been receiving calls to my mobile. 4 calls in 2 hours. I ignored the first call and googled the number to find out who it was. the second and third calls I answered, asked them to hold then put my phone in a draw. They musn't have liked running their phone bill up because the last call was from an 0800 number! So the CCA will be on it's way as soon as this piggin ice melts.

Paul

You can also send them this letter and complain about the telephone harassment to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct and also complain to OFT.

Harassment Letter

To stop those annoying phone calls

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...esponse-letter

donate