HFO - UK Debt, Living in US

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4860 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you will have grounds for asking that the company be invetigated for clear breaches of data protection and harrassment as part of your counter claim.

This lot play dirty.

Also, if you are in the USA and you get a CCJ in the UK they CANNOT just transfer it to a US court wihtout them being asked a lot of searching questions.... complete abuse of BOTH UK and USA court procedures.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi BlueRaider,

I was wondering if you have heard back from these scumbags (HFO) again??

BrokeBob,

Thanks for this information. I had looked regarding Arizona and it's 6 years for credit card debt for statute of limitations. I'm unsure if it will go that far however.

I received a letter addressed to my employer today from HFO with what seems to be the usual threatening inquiry for payment. Is this considered against the OFT guidelines?

What I find interesting is that they have specifically showed my UK equifax credit report with the debts circled, and this also shows my last year on the electoral roll as 2006. Wouldn't this all be good evidence for showing a court that HFO know I am no longer a resident if they do try for a CCJ? They also go on about how they know I'm in the United States, will get a judgement and then transfer it to Arizona. They also apparantly know my financial situation and know I can pay so the matter will not be dropped.. they also attached what seem to be a generic judgement Question & Answer document.

Should this be a matter of continue to ignore & hold on to any documentation until they file a CCJ?

Hey there hatehfo,

I have not, although like you I received the same garbage they sent to my employer, to my home address a while ago. I like how you can clearly see that they manually entered "Phoenix, Arizona" and the rest of the document is a template. My parents haven't received any further calls or mail either back in the UK. I'm sure I haven't heard the last from them, however.

Thanks for the update.

Hey there hatehfo,

I have not, although like you I received the same garbage they sent to my employer, to my home address a while ago. I like how you can clearly see that they manually entered "Phoenix, Arizona" and the rest of the document is a template. My parents haven't received any further calls or mail either back in the UK. I'm sure I haven't heard the last from them, however.

Just been checking with an American lawyer over here, he says this is becoming more prevalent and the American administration are going to be pro-active and stop these sharks setting up shop over there... according to him the terrorism laws are being manipulated by some sectors who think they can misuse the law and chase things that they have no jurisdiction over.

Many USA courts are only licenced for their particular state and can't operate outside their jurisdiction, they cannot automatically chase a former UK resident living in the USA without a lot of questions being asked as to why the chasing company thinks it can break USA law, which now has precedence over UK law.

EEC law doesn't operate in the USA to the best of mine and his knowledge so any reciprocal EEC law can't be used in the USA.

hello - my parents recieved a call from hfo telling them they were serious fraud investigation unit or something like that. dirty scoundrels thats all i can say.

hope it all works out for you hatehfo. all the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Received a "Schedule of Litigation" from HFO to my previous UK address, stating they will take this to court shortly, and I should be expecting a claim form from the Northampton County Court.

Wonder if I could receive some advice. When making a defence, do I simply state I am not a resident in England & Wales, and attach proof that HFO are aware of this?

This is a particularly nasty and misleading 'threatogram' that HFO are sending out. Other people have received it. If you have made a complaint to OFT you must forward a copy of this to them ASAP.

It is merely a threat. HFO know you are resident in the USA and are continuing to use a UK address to make these threats. If they were to issue a claim this can easily be defended as you have said.

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

• 3 weeks later...

They are willy waving, their are no reciprocal agreements between the UK and the US so even in the unlikely event that they did manage to obtain a CCJ here (which would be worthless as you are a non-resident) they would not be able to take any enforcement action in the US.