Gross Misconduct.. plz help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think claiming this is gross misconduct would be OTT, but I have to agree - which is the point I was getting to with my original questions - if you were supposed to be at work and not on break, then I am afraid you were supposed to be at work and not on break. It's no differnt than claiming you took 30 minutes lunch and actually took an hour. Not the sort of big difference that some of us might worry about, but the fact is that your manager is technically in the right, and that's all that matters. It's generally a case of, if you've ****ed of the manager, don't give them any excuses - something most union reps (who often **** off managers) will be able to explain as a concept!

BTW Hunneybee - been PM-ing you and somebody hasn't emptied their inbox! I keep getting "box full bounces"!!!!

[sigh......] Sorry, SarEl. The system used to tell you that your box was 90% full so you could do something about it in time. Lately, I either get an email when it's bounced a PM or find out like this.

I've cleared lots of space now :). Hope you're well.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

What do you mean ( claiming this is gross misconduct would be OTT )

Exactly what I said. Being absent from work for 10 minutes is not gross misconduct normally (assuming that you didn't leave a chemical experiment on the brew and poison the entire first floor with it in your absence! In other words, nothing crucial could have happened in your absence) so dismissal for a first offence is not at all reasonable. Personally I would have thought that at worst a "where were you and don't do it again" was the absolute limit of what was required - but what I think isn't relevant because technically the manager is correct. The employer may feel that he has over-reacted, but whether they are willing to act on such a belief (if they have it) is a different matter.

A suspension for two weeks (assuming it is on full pay) will cost the company a great deal more than 10 minutes lost work. The manager sounds like a bit of a plank.

Can't disagree one bit. But unfortunately being a "plank" isn't unlawful - otherwise tribunals would have even longer waiting lists!