Calling all Motorcyclists - Remove or not Remove???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im just wondering what any bikers out there think about policies about removing your helmet when entering shops.

I work on a small petrol station and it is company policy for bikers to remove their helmets before entering.

Last night I asked a biker to remove his helmet and got a barrage of verbal abuse from him, I was polite and it took me all my time not to answer back to him, believe me it was hard.

Do some bikers realise that it is very intimidating for us behind the counter to have this person all dressed up in usually dark leathers and a helmet loom up infront of you, and half the time we can hardly hear what they are saying. Bear in mind it was late at night, dark and there was only me and another lassie in the shop, so for our security they are asked to remove their lids.

There are signs and posters splattered all over the pumps and on the doors that helmets, hats and hoods must be removed.

Just wondered if there were any bikers on CAG and wanted their opinion on this matter.

Most bikers are fantastic about it, but there is a good few of them that are down right obnoxious.

Just heard today that the incident last night has resulted in the biker being banned from the station.

Maybe he was already banned... thats why he wanted to keep his helmet on :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I think most shops now have this policy, we unfortunatly live in dangerous times and we need the ability to identify exactly who is entering and leaving public places. I can actualy see the governments security advisors attempting to ban islamic female dress in the near future... not because islamic females are more likeley to commit crime but because anyone... male or female of whatever race or religion could adopt this dress to commit crime.

A very sad state of affairs

:fear::fear:

I think most shops now have this policy, we unfortunatly live in dangerous times and we need the ability to identify exactly who is entering and leaving public places. I can actualy see the governments security advisors attempting to ban islamic female dress in the near future... not because islamic females are more likeley to commit crime but because anyone... male or female of whatever race or religion could adopt this dress to commit crime.

:yo:

I last rode a bike in 84 even back then it was policy for lid to be removed (banks and petrol stations), but the laughable part of it was in the winter and I wore a balaclava (not full face) under my helmet and was not asked for it to be removed. :doh:

So in answer to your question mazbak the rider should remove his/her helmet and not just for security but out of politeness to the staff. :tinfoil3:

:-)

dk

A couple of regular bikers must have come in yesterday and were told of the event, they came in today and actually asked if I was OK :-D

Like they said its inicidents like this that give them all a bad name!

Guest Jason King

No, this won't happen.

It's a bit like outlawing individuals who have long hair that covers more of the face and also have a beard and wear sunglasses.

Somebody like that could rob a bank, make a getaway and then in safety cut their hair, shave and remove their sunglasses thus being unrecognisable in just minutes.

What else should be banned? People who dye their hair, Sikh's headdress, people with a cold who hold a hanky to thier face...etc?

Sorry for hijack, but this is for DK, can you point me to where it says anything about religion in the rules? I have just re-read them just in case things had changed since last time and can't see anything about religion. :???: (I'm asking because that was one of the most shocking things I had read in a long time from my point of view!!!) Feel free to PM if you prefer. :-)

Guest Jason King
:wave:

Of Topic

I was going to comment on JK's post (sticky ground JK) but it is of a Religious preference and should not be discussed by this forum. (see forum rules)

:focus:

dk

Pardon?

I specifically responded to the input from Castlebest who raised the notion of Islamic dress and you decide it is I who is raising a religious context to this thread!

What is your motive here?

I quite often get the remark from some bikers about if they were wearing a hijad/burka would they be asked to remove it, to which I have replied probably as it is for security reasons and nothing else.

Anyways back to the original question, thats to all thats answered.

It is for secrutiy that we ask all to remove helmets etc.

No, this won't happen.

It's a bit like outlawing individuals who have long hair that covers more of the face and also have a beard and wear sunglasses.

Somebody like that could rob a bank, make a getaway and then in safety cut their hair, shave and remove their sunglasses thus being unrecognisable in just minutes.

What else should be banned? People who dye their hair, Sikh's headdress, people with a cold who hold a hanky to thier face...etc?

Firstly I made no religiuos comment at all, secondly a little light reading for you...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2010/aug/26/france-ban-islamic-veil

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/7896536/Burka-ban-Why-must-I-cast-off-the-veil.html

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/its-unaustralian--rally-condemns-push-to-ban-burqa-20100919-15hy0.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703904304575497881913005068.html

So thats France, Austrailia and America... seems to me a very real possibility in this country too

So thats France, Austrailia and America... seems to me a very real possibility in this country too

Maybe we can take this elsewhere if Maz object to the thread hijack, but in the meantime I'd like to point out that in France, things are made easier in tat there is complete separation of the church and the state, which simplifies the issue somewhat, as there can be no question that a state decision is not a church one.

Can we have a discussion about islamic veil is a feminist issue, not a religious one, please? :razz:

you could run me over with a bus right now and it wouldnt bother me with the amount of pain killers Im on with my wrist LOL!!! :madgrin:

Saying that what I did ask has opened a can of worms As I can see, it does question all possibilities of how you would react when faced with the situation of someone looming up in front of you with either a helmet, mask, veil etc?

Should all face coverings be banned when entering a shop or any business premises?

I personally think it all depends on the situation, I for instance works in a shop that is off the beaten track slightly and it is usually at night, and there is only a couple of us on at one time. Different maybe if it was a very busy shop in a busy area where you have lots of people going about.

So i feel safer if I can see a customers face and prefer to talk to someone face to face rather than through a helmet!

No, I think it is perfectly legitimate to ask people to remove their helmets. Amongst my checkered CV, there is a loooong stint as manager for Domino's Pizza, and my drivers would get told off by me in no uncertain terms if a customer phoned and said the driver hadn't removed his helmet when delivering.

I was asked to remove my terrifiying mask the other day when entering a shop, would'nt have minded but did'nt have one on !!! :yo:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Properly fitting helmets are a pain to take off and they leave your hair in a right mess. The foam rubs and, then having to get it back on and sweating again. :( But I agree that everyone should have to expose their face as and when required for security reasons, regardless of faith or any excuse..other than for medical reasons.

Guest Jason King

With all due respect the United Kingdom will absolutely make up its own mind on an issue such as this and will not be swayed by other countries and what they decide to do.

Off Topic to Apologise

To JK I apologise to you, the comment that I was stating about your posting I deleted because it did not meet the politeness of the thread, I did mean to delete the reference to yourself, :sorry: as you posted after my remark you you only replied to a posting.

To Bookworm and the other poster's of this thread I read more into the

Rule

3.5 A thread/post will be edited or deleted if it contains:

a) Xenophobia, racism, personal abuse, or incitement intended to cause disruption within a thread (commonly known as a "flame war")

So I apologise to all poster's in this thread

It seems I was over cautious.

dk

ps open to pm's if the need still arises.