items in skips

labrat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

is it illegal to take stuff out of skips if it has obviously been thrown away

theres one near me with a cut off bit of scrap woods just right for repairing a rabbit hutch (again)

but if its not legit ill leave it alone

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

is it illegal to take stuff out of skips if it has obviously been thrown away

theres one near me with a cut off bit of scrap woods just right for repairing a rabbit hutch (again)

but if its not legit ill leave it alone

If you know who the skip belongs to, you could always ask if you could have the wood..

Items in a skip do have an owner, either the owner/renter of the skip, of if in a bin, belong to the Council. You can be charged with theft from a bin (really!) but this probably won't happen.

It is usually best to seek permission first, not only will you be in the clear, but the person disposing of the junk may be happy at the extra space you give them for more!

2 schools of thought.... first, by chucking it the owner is discarding ownership of the item. second, that the owner only gives up ownership once it has been 'tipped' and intends it to be tipped. You also have to act dishonestly so if you make valiant attempts to locate who the owner is , by knocking on doors to trace and ask for permission then you are not acting dishonestly. If you can't trace the owner and take it you have the proof you wnated permission and were willing to pay.

Personally I would ask whoever the skip has been delivered to and get permission. It's not worth the hassle for a couple of bits of wood.

the skips pretty much on waste land and looks to be a general dumping ground for the local area

doesnt really matter anymore, someones beat me to it :)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I was stopped after fishing about in a skip, late at night, by two young officers with nothing better to do, and made the mistake of commenting to the effect that there ought to be better things for a cop to be concerned with.

This was more than thirty years ago when the "sus" laws were still in force so it was all the way to a County Court appeal before I walked away. The police lied in the witness box about the actual facts of the matter and they contradicted each other in doing so, which was lucky for me. The barrister made a pretty good job of the questioning.

Yes indeed then, it is an offence to pilfer from skips so if you do get caught, grovel remorsefully. Plead poverty or insanity. You wont get off by taking the p'.

:-(