• Tweets

• I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. Anyway I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes, I know that it can be difficult if you are used to a different way of doing things.

the vehicle forum you are referring to is still visible on the front page but it is now contained in the Retail Goods and Services forum and is at the bottom of the list of sub-forums

Here is a link which will take you directly to the Retail forum http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?280-The-Consumer-Forums-Retail-Goods-and-Services

but if you scroll down the main front page - as you had to before anyway, you will come to the Retail forums in --- HotPink -- !!. You will then see the two column list of subforums. One of them is the forum you want.

Of course, Newbies won't have the added difficulty of having to re-learn the forum culture

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for replying BF.

Maybe when the major stuff is all done, the grouping of different forums could be tweaked?

For example: As crem says, the "Vehicle-retailers-and-manufacturers" forum is almost impossible to find (unless you know where to look) - maybe it would be wise to have all motor related stuff in the same place?

Thanks for the hard work you are doing.... oh, and you will be pleased to know that I like the new icon thingys :clap2:

Here is a link which will take you directly to the Retail forum http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?280-The-Consumer-Forums-Retail-Goods-and-Services

but if you scroll down the main front page - as you had to before anyway, you will come to the Retail forums in --- HotPink -- !!. You will then see the two column list of subforums. One of them is the forum you want.

not true. This forum section used to be nicely grouped within the "Motoring" section until last month which is the area I frequented

Maybe when the major stuff is all done, the grouping of different forums could be tweaked?

For example: As crem says, the "Vehicle-retailers-and-manufacturers" forum is almost impossible to find (unless you know where to look) - maybe it would be wise to have all motor related stuff in the same place?

wow what a good idea MM.! you mean just like it used to be until all this "re-coding" started to happen?

Can I please add a niggle - and it's not really a little one!!

The adverts in the last post on any page of a thread - the 2 for the books - really elongate the posts and, if there is a quotes box in the post then this overlaps the adverts.

Is there anyway those 2 adverts can be moved, or removed?

Feebee_71

Yes, I think that you are right. They have been there a long time too. Before our Google ads we had to push the books very hard because they made the difference between life and death for us.

We sold a fair few over the years and they are extremely useful for people but I think that what we will do is put them in the notification area at the top and make them disappear for people with, say, 100 posts or more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and make it happen in the next few days.

Thanks BF, also another thing you mentioned about colour schemes, i know some sites allow you to choose your own colour preference for browsing, would this be possible?

then maybe most would be happy :lol:

Thanks BF, also another thing you mentioned about colour schemes, i know some sites allow you to choose your own colour preference for browsing, would this be possible?

Yes, we had already decided to so this and we will get round to it - although it isn't a priority yet.

However as far as most people being happy - :flypig:

I couldn't give a to$$ about the colour scheme. I just want to be able to navigate the site easily and help people when I can.

I don't understand what the "Consumer Forums Menu" is for on the right hand side of the screen. I know we have now been told how to get rid of it by speedfreek, but what does it do anyway? If we could create our own list of things in there that take us straight to the forums we use most, then that would go some way to addressing the navigation issues. But, if like it appears, it is a fixed list of areas most of us probably don't visit, then it serves no purpose whatsoever.

I couldn't give a to$$ about the colour scheme. I just want to be able to navigate the site easily and help people when I can.

I don't understand what the "Consumer Forums Menu" is for on the right hand side of the screen. I know we have now been told how to get rid of it by speedfreek, but what does it do anyway? If we could create our own list of things in there that take us straight to the forums we use most, then that would go some way to addressing the navigation issues. But, if like it appears, it is a fixed list of areas most of us probably don't visit, then it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Maybe you dont crem, but some people do, namely people with certain eye conditions find it easier to work with particular colours!

BF mentioned it first, so i just thought it was a solution many would like thats all!

I don't disagree with it being an option callumsgran, but as BF says it is far from a prioity at the moment. The way I see it, it's a bit like putting all your effort into picking which cloth trim you want on your car seats when the car ain't got no wheels yet! :|

The menu sidebar contains links to every part of the forum so most of the people who visit here probably do visit at least one or two of those areas and of course if people are a bit lost as to where they are, then clicking a sidebar link is another way of getting people to where they would rather be, rather more quickly.

I agree that it would be great if it could be customised by the Users.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this luminus green doesn't work, it's practically impossible to read especially on white and with the now 'looks like it's here to stay' tiny writing it's even worse.

And that goes for a few of the other colours as well - we are becoming a very unfriendly site.

I also think that usage has dropped by a significant amount as well, this morning we have "