Water meter, water leak & statutory rights

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4771 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We had a water meter fitted 27 days ago. During the install the chaps who fitted it said the pipes were very old, the job was very difficult due to the closed space and because of this keep an eye on the readings to make sure there's no leakage and if there is report it immediately.

I have done so every morning without failure noted the readings and have a detailed log.

Yesterday we were out all day and this morning when I took a reading the number was far higher than it should plus I noticed the wheel was spinning and we'd only just opened the front door.

Spoke to SWW reporting the leak and asked that the previous reading be noted because I didn't want to pay for the leak what we're not using if it turned out that the leak is at the meter - he said we could be charged as he couldn't guarantee we'd receive a leak allowance.

I've turned the water off at the stop-cock and the wheel is still turning on the meter.

Where do we stand with our rights (statutory - durability) on this if this is a fault at the site of work carried out by their workmen and the leak appears within 28 days of the installation date?

We'd love to keep the meter as this has already more than halved our bill.

• 7 months later...

Wow, 9 months later and not a single reply!

I've only just found this post again so please excuse the late update.

I wrote them a nice letter quoting the Sales of Goods Act and the Supply of Goods and Services Act and they sent someone round for a chat and to take a look. He tried to treat me like I didn't know what was going on and after more phone calls to SWW they sent the contractors round to examine the meter.

Contractors turned up, they told me they're hearing stuff like this a lot and when they dug up the meter they showed me the water and the leak - connectors on the pipe not tightened up enough. I took a photo and told SWW I took a photo of the leak.

Without an apology or letter of acknowledgement they credited us everything we had paid plus some extra.

Good result all round we think.

We're still noting the meter levels every morning in a little notepad just in case.