• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Off street Council owned NON PUBLIC PCN

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi buzby,

I appreciate what you say. Alas.

When I uploaded the pictures the file sizes were shown as 750 kb for one of them and pic PCN A was over 1 meg.

I dont understand why they are being cropped. I will try again, now.

Cheers.

Scan the document into your computer and open it in Paint or similar program. Edit out the personal information and identifying numbers etc.

Save it as a jpeg file

Open an a/c on Photobucket, (here: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ),or Tinypic here: (TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting )

Click the "upload image" box and browse to find the file of your scanned jpeg on your hard disk

It will then upload the image to Photobucket and it will show you thumbnails of the images you have uploaded. Under each image there are links that you can copy and paste.

Copy and paste the IMG Code link from Photobucket to the reply box on your thread here, which will look like this:

imagename.jpg{\IMG

When you submit the reply, the link will change into the image you uploaded onto Photobucket.

See how to in section 1.16 (Attach Documents) here:

How Do I....? A Dummies Guide to the Forum

Hi I may have gone over board here but not sure without practice.

Please let me know if any sections are missing..

Other links are

nmcb6c.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2a9brf7/4

http://tinypic.com/r/1zlep1g/4

http://i36.tinypic.com/2a9brf7.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2a9brf7/4

http://i34.tinypic.com/3d0tt.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/nmcb6c.jpg

I think I will need to challenge /ask for retraction on grounds of forgetfullness about the blue badge, with supporting evidence of copy of badge /certificate

of disability registration. a copy of the photo of the sign that says "MAY get a PCN. Only a one minute interval on the PCN and finally a copy of the ministerial guidelines

" Operational Guidance

to Local Authorities:

Parking Policy and Enforcement

Discretion

6.16 The Secretary of State considers that the exercise of discretion

should, in the main, rest with back office staff as part of considering

challenges against PCNs and representations against a Notice to Owner

NtOs. This is to protect CEOs from allegations of inconsistency,

favouritism or suspicion of bribery. It also gives greater consistency in

the enforcement of traffic regulations.

If they refuse then I will pursue on the grounds that there have only been 4 or 5 PCN's issued in the past twelve years and that has only occurred

in the last 2 months.

A custom and practice /vendetta argument.

I feel we need to take this to a tribunal ultimately because any of our neighbours will do this.

I don't think they will like the expenses incurred if we all stick it out.

Cheers to all.

I will update the post when I get a reply.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Cheers

There are other avenues to appeal on. Try this in addition to your points.

Dear Sirs

I understand that you are of the opinion that I have contravened a restriction governed by a traffic order. I am aware that the legislation enabling a traffic order to be made is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

Although you accuse me of this contravention you have not provided any evidence that confirms that the restriction is supported by a legally enacted traffic order. Therefore it is necessary for you to provide me with a full copy of the traffic order that you believe has been contravened and I require you to explain fully what article or articles I allegedly contravened and to direct me to the specific entry for the location concerned within the relevant schedule and to explain fully why you believe that I do not qualify for one of the given exemptions within the traffic order. It is paramount that the traffic order includes the preamble and all the articles as well as the schedules and is sealed and dated and accompanied by all maps. If the original order has been amended then it is necessary that these amendments are also provided in full. I will remind you that in the case between Terence Chase v Westminster City Council, the adjudicator emphasised that a council has a legal duty to provide all evidence at the earliest opportunity to an appellant. Failure to do so is considered by the courts to be prejudicial.

In addition, I am aware of the provision under section 76(3) of the Traffic Management Act 2004;

(3)Civil enforcement officers—

(a) when exercising specified functions must wear such uniform as may be determined by the enforcement authority in accordance with guidelines issued by the appropriate national authority, and

(b) must not exercise any of those functions when not in uniform.

The council has provided no evidence that the CEO was wearing a uniform in compliance with section 76(3)(a) and with the guidance given in section 42 of the Secretary of State’s Statutory Guidance;

42. When exercising prescribed functions a CEO must wear a uniform. The

uniform should clearly show:

that the wearer is engaged in parking enforcement;

the name of the local authority/authorities of whose behalf s/he is acting;

and a personal identity number.

As the wearing of uniform by the CEO is mandatory when serving a regulation 9 PCN, it is reasonable to conclude that an efficient and conscientious enforcement authority will inspect and keep a record of each officer before they begin their patrol to ensure a uniform is worn and that it complies with the guidance. Since it is a mandatory requirement, the burden of proof must remain with the enforcement authority. This principle is supported in the adjudication case between Derek Jack Hayward v London Borough of Croydon. Therefore, I require unequivocal evidence that the officer who served the PCN upon my vehicle was wearing the correct uniform in the correct manner. Without any evidence to the contrary, it is not unreasonable to assert that the PCN was served by the CEO in contravention of section 76(3)(a) thus invalidating the PCN served.

I also bring to your attention the important fact that PCN fails to comply with regulations 3(2)(b) and 3(2)(b)(ii) contained within Statutory Instrument 2007/3482 and it is therefore my belief that the PCN is not lawful.

3(2) A penalty charge notice served under regulation 9 of the General Regulations must, in addition to the matters required to be included in it under paragraph 1 of the Schedule to the General Regulations, include the following information

(a) that a person on whom a notice to owner is served will be entitled to make representations to the enforcement authority against the penalty charge and may appeal to an adjudicator if those representations are rejected; and

(b) that, if representations against the penalty charge are received at such address as may be specified for the purpose before a notice to owner is served

(i) those representations will be considered;

(ii) but that, if a notice to owner is served notwithstanding those representations, representations against the penalty charge must be made in the form and manner and at the time specified in the notice to owner.

These requirements are repeated in paragraph 8.40 of the DfT published ”Operational Guidance to Local Authorities”;

8.40 “A PCN served on the vehicle or to the person who appears to be in charge of

the vehicle (a ‘regulation 9’ PCN) must contain the following information:

that, if representations against the penalty charge are received at such

address as may be specified for the purposes before an NtO is served:

but that, if an NtO is served not withstanding those representations,

representations against the penalty charge must be in the form and manner

and at the time specified in the NtO."

Although the PCN does say that representations will be considered, it fails to make the recipient aware of the period of time they are lawfully entitled to in which to submit such representations. The lawful period is given by regulation 3(2)(b) and it is given as any time before the NtO is served and as such a PCN must convey this fact to the recipient.

Failure to include this specific statutory information on a PCN could prejudice the recipient and consequently such a failure should not be considered immaterial. For example, a person (where the NtO has not yet been served) may only remember about the PCN on the 30th day after its service and as the PCN only makes reference to “challenges” in sentences that refer either to a 14 day or 28 day period, that person may conclude that it is too late to make representations even though that person is lawfully entitled to make representations at any time before an NtO is served. Thus the failure of the PCN to convey the information given by regulation 3(2)(b) is, or could be, critical to the response of the driver/owner to the PCN.

The important purpose of the absent regulation 3(2)(b)(ii) is to explain that should a person receive an NtO while expecting a reply to their informal appeal they should not ignore the NtO but take heed of it and appeal formally in the time specified by the NtO.

If a PCN does not make this point then a person waiting for a reply to their informal appeal may ignore the NtO thinking that as an appeal is already being considered there is no point appealing against the NtO until a reply is received against the informal appeal. However, a reply may never arrive and by the time this is realised the statutory time in which to respond to the NtO may have expired.

Considering these facts I expect you to cancel this penalty charge forthwith. If you do not cancel then I will require you to explain fully why you think the PCN does comply with regulations 3(2)(b) and 3(2)(b)(ii).

Under the provisions of the Traffic Management Act 2004 I am entitled to a submit an appeal that you have a duty to consider and to which you have a duty, should you reject my appeal, to provide me with clear and full reasons in reply to my points of appeal. This duty is set down in the Secretary of State’s Statutory Guidance and the Traffic Management Act 2004 under section 87 clearly advises that local authorities must have regard to this statutory guidance. Therefore should you fail to reply specifically to each point and provide the required evidence then I will be, due to your improper consideration, including a further charge of procedural impropriety when my defence is submitted for adjudication and in addition I will proceed with a formal complaint, regarding your maladministration, to the office of the council’s Chief Executive.

Yours with love, hugs and kisses

Hi sorry I forgot this ,

answer to question in post 20 is:-

" 14 days , and if rejected another 14 days is usually offered at discount price."

LOL........Your answer is proof that the PCN does not convey the correct information and could be potentially prejudicial.

Hi , well that is the dogs bollocks, lol..

they do say on the pcn "if the charge is not paid on or before the end of the 28 day period as specified on the front of notice,

or successfully challenged the council may serve a notice to owner etc blah"

does this mean that if you submit a challenge after 14 days and it fails then you dont get the 14 day grace period..?

I must confess your letter is outstanding.

I am trying hard to see if they cover the references you quote,, I will guarantee they won't have a clue

and go running to their legal dept.. ha ha.

I really want to use your wording , do you feel that under hugs and kisses , I should put in my blue badge appeal??

It gives them an easy option. lol.

I don't mind taking all the time in the world with these people. They have made all our lives a misery here.

If I have your permission I will draft straight away.

Cheers from Chip.

P.S No one saw the CEO with his ticket machine... how much does that matter in the letter and scheme of things. should I edit that bit out??

Edited by chipbutty
addition

The very fact that on reading the PCN you are left confused is evidence that the PCN is not fit for purpose. Yes, sneak in your blue badge bit at the tail end before the final paragraph.

The council would risk having all their PCN's ruled invalid if they let you take this all the way to adjudication. I'd be surprised if they are willing to take a risk of thousands for your few quid.

Keep the uniform bit in as it makes life more difficult for the council. It does not matter that no one saw the CEO.

Edited by TheBogsDollocks

Sorry, but it makes sense to me. If you send a photocopy of your Blue Badge, and state that you inadvertently did not display it will usually get it waived with a warning note telling you not to do it again. This is preferable that trying to get them on a proceedural imroprietary, take it to an adjudicatior who then sides with the council. You can always use this as your second avenue if the first plan fails.

Hi again,

My word you are working 'above and beyond the call of duty'....

How do you feel about all the current residents who have got PCN's , 4 in total, using the same draft.??

If you think they will ignore the challenges as being conspired then it wont be done.

I also think that I may save the blue badge 'cosideration factor' for later should I need further evidence. Or is a legal requirement on my behalf to submit

all evidence now. As they must. But their PCn states" any evidence" not all....!

I'm very grateful and will be sending a donation to the site.

I wish I could buy you a beer.

Cheers. Chip.

Too many beers make my typing much worse!

As for the non-BB holders, they have less of a chance as the signage and TRO and Tariff on their website seems compliant. By settling early, they can midigate the full cost of the loss, becasue if they challenge and lose, they will not be offered the discount (which is for early payment only). It really boils doen to if they feel like a gamble, some will and others won't - so a hope that there will be a concerted uprising to discredit the council probably won't happen. Your BB appeal will probably work if it is the first for this area and they treat you sympathetically. I know the area quite well, and when I came down for the eclipse, I was well warned about their treatment of tourists in their Off Street parks, so I arrived at 2000hrs and left at 0700 to avoid confrontations. Shame really, as it probably looked even nicer in daylight! :)

My personal opinion is to throw everything in an appeal. The more mud thrown then a good chance some will stick and they may also slip up on some and provide you with further appeal points to exploit at the next stage. I expect it will go to the next stage as councils rarely accept an appeal until adjudication looms.

I agree with buzby that the blue badge issue may be enough on its own to begin with but it won't invite any council error but it's up to you how you proceed.

There is no reason why your neighbour's cannot use the same appeal (minus the blue badge bit) but it is likely the council will take the appeal less seriously.

Hi,

OK , for my own clarity .

Do I try the blue badge approach on it's own first.

Or do I attach it at the end of your special.

I really would like to use the letter and attach the BB at end,

sorry for being confused.

I bet you want your dinner...

Hi,

I have re-considered and will use the lovely letter and save the BB if needed.

This way I will get a measure of their wants in respect of what definitely has been an attack on

the local residents who have used those spaces for twelve years without hinderence.

It is only because a local councillor has moved recently into the accommodation on the private site that this has started to happen ... say no more.

So I will go ahead. Will keep you posted.

MASSIVE Respect.

A Blue Badge defence will be thrown out at an appeal as it SHOULD have been provided in the first instance, which is why you need to do it in that order, as doing it in reverse means you could lose at each stage with no ace to play.