Help with interview technique please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all.

Im due to have an interview on Monday for a job in stock control. I aready work for the company but dont enjoy the work in the department I am in.

The work us packing and labelling and is very physical. I have always been used to office work and this job would give me the best of both world, staying with a company I like whilst having less of the physical work.

Now, hav'nt had an interview for yeras and would like to impress!!!!! I have lots of office experience but not in stock control.

So, what do I say to make it impossible for them not to give me the job, lol! :lol:

I'm assuming you've been there for some time if you haven't had an interview in years? That must be the first point in your favour, surely? Also the fact that you're obviously keen to progress, having applied in the first place. And you mentioned that you like the company.

I wouldn't mention that you're not too keen on your current job.

Wanting to broaden your horizons, learn more about the workings of your company to become a more valuable employee, grabbing the opportunity to build on your experience and skills with the same company. Looking outward, desire for knowledge etc etc.

But then, what do I know? :)

Best of luck for Monday. x

I teach interview techniques for a living.

Here are my top tips

Research both the company and what is expected of the job (read the person specification)

Be prepared for questions that start with "give me an example of a time when you have had to..." or "how would you deal with this situation...."

Dont be afraid of being nervous, nerves keep you on your toes but dont let nerves paralyze you.

Maintain eye contact when answering questions.

Dont forget to smile

Allways ask questions at the end when prompted to

I think this thread should be moved to the "employment" section (then woody could have a tickle... now there is a line that could get me into trouble off cagbot!)

I'm currently unemployed (so probably not the best person to tell you the best answers :p). As a job hunter I have faced various questions and interviews.

A reocurring trend is 2 people interviewing, one sits to your side and one sits infront of you. (I don't know what benefit that has, maybe Woody can clarify :))

Most common question I've faced:-

"When do you think you have gone above and beyond expectations?, Can you give me specific examples of that?"

As I've dealt with sales a lot (and after all an interview is selling yourself), a big thing is to build raport, keep eye contact, use similar language and use their name (I always do this at the end of the interview when shaking hands.... "Thank you for taking the time to see me today Bob, I appreciate it".) Also point out your good points.

Best of luck. Locutus :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thank you all for those pointers. I will use all the advice.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------apart from the bribe, because I have no money!!!!!!

Oddest thing is this: If you go in there willing to have a go, but not worried if you get it or not, you will be less anxious, less nervous, and that comes across as more confident.

The last few jobs/interviews I went for, I was completely in a mode of "you need me more than I need you" (didn't say that obviously! :razz:) and so passed with flying colours, they couldn't wait to hire me! Go figure. ;-)

Hi and good luck,

I love going in with an A4 pad, where I have some examples in front of me of my strengths or what I can bring to the role, questions at the end of the i/v etc.

I always check with them first, " is it okay if I can write a few things down?". Always goes down very professionally, after all they're writing down stuff about you, why can't you do the same.

Change any 'weaknesses/limitations' or whatever the buzz word is nowadays to strengths.

For example:

I used to find it difficult to say no, and found my workload increasing unnecessarily as I was helping more and more people out. Now, I use my negotiation skills and work towards my strengths. For example I'm really fast at data input and 'Sally' really fast at typing etc so I exchange work as opposed to taking more and more on.

Good luck - it's always good to raise your head above the parapet.

x:)x

Woody, what kind of questions would be welcomed? Should you bring up the salary question if the interviewer doesn't? Should you be brutally honest about why you want to leave where you are? Is it ok to be obviously ambitious?

Dont ask the salary question...

here are some good examples of questions to ask

1. How often will my performance be appraised

2. What would you like me to bring to this position that has not already been done?

3. What training will be available to me?

You will notice from the above questions that I have used the terms ME or MY. This is a psychological trick that puts a mental picture of you in the job rather than some unspecific "successful candidate". If you do it without hesitation then it can make that 5% diffrence between having a good interview and having a successful interview.

I coould use some rep so please feel free to move this thread to somewhere where i can br appreciated.

I couldn't even find a recent post that wasn't in the bear garden woody to rep ya :p

and unbelievably angelic, I always try to get a good nights rest beforehand, and also maybe a little treat for yourself, whatever makes you feel good.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Oddest thing is this: If you go in there willing to have a go, but not worried if you get it or not, you will be less anxious, less nervous, and that comes across as more confident.

The last few jobs/interviews I went for, I was completely in a mode of "you need me more than I need you" (didn't say that obviously! :razz:) and so passed with flying colours, they couldn't wait to hire me! Go figure. ;-)

Bookie. I would hire you in a heartbeat. You don't have to say anything.

Go figure:D.

For all my interviews, I just practice saying "Do you want fries with that?".

Never fails:D

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

For all my interviews, I just practice saying "Do you want fries with that?".

Never fails:grin:

Thats bug------d it. I will have to make a concious effort now NOT to think of that. It will be a miracle if I dont burst out laughing and have the interviewer thnking Im a headcase!!!!!

you could explain it away by saying you were told to think of the interviewer being naked...

am I helping any here? :p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Although your interview is with your current company and you may know the interviewer, don't be over familiar with them. Behave as you would if you were meeting them for the first time and wanting to impress them.

Make sure your shoes are clean too.;)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you people. Much appreciated.

As for the shoes being clean! Well ny interview is mid shioft and I will be wearing some very glamourous steel toecaps.:D

Buffed to a mirror shine I hope. :lol:

Hope it went well.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If it was Banker, then I'd say you've got the job:D

Thank you all for the help.

I buffed my steel toecaps till you could see your face in them :D

I thought it went well but I dont hold out too much hope - I saw who went in after me :(

Well, don't worry too much about what other people think. (they don't do it that often!) I'm sure if you gave a good interview, and are capable of the job you do have a good chance. Also, you never know, the person that followed may have fluffed it, or the company may have other plans for them... :p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar