PC World won't refund money!

Angel_Gabrielle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've used PC World for many years and bought my first computer from there when I was still at school. Well recently I have a Toshiba Notebook laptop that was took in for repair directly to the store itself because it had windows 7 on it was creating a blue screen error and constantly shutting down my computer.

I took the laptop in, one of the tech guys that was behind the desk took a look of it while I was there and I told him the errors I had recieved and he said that I needed a fully system diagnostic to see what the problem was and that if it didn't pick up anything I'd get a full refund of the £70 that I paid for the it to be performed, I thought fair enough, paid the £70 in advance since they wouldn't let me pay after it was fixed hmmm :|

Anyway they said it should be done by end the next day and they'd call me. The next day I knew the store didn't close until 8PM since it was a week day, it got to 7:30PM and no phone call, phoned them and this is when the problems start. The gentleman I had on the phone was exstremely rude and showed no interest what so ever, he asked for my doking number which the store gave me, he looked it up on the computer and showed no records of me handing a laptop in for repair so I couldn't have a update to whether they even started on it or it was finished. The next I went into the store to see if it was fixed, one of the tech guys seemed phased when I asked like he didn't expect me turning up, I asked him whether to see if it was done, he took the paper off me and disspeared for like 30 minutes, I mean why vanish when their computer system was dead in front of them and it was working as he was using it as I walked in. Well after he decided to show again, he said that the repair had not even started yet and that he'd promise to get it done today and he'd phone me before the store closes.

Did I get the call? No I didn't, so I had go through the same routine for nearly 3 weeks just for a silly system diagnostic which takes a few hours to complete. When the fourth week came around, I went to the store again and pretty much got mad at the tech guys that I phoned the store endless times and never phoned back, I got no explination or appology, again he said he'd phone back and that it deffiently be fixed and ready to pick up.

Well in the end I did get a phone call and has I mentioned above that I'd get a refund of £70 if they couldn't repair it with the system diagnostic well again that's another problem I came across, during the phone call, one of the tech guys says that it was not fixable with the system diagnostic and I mentioned the refund and he and PC World refused to refund me the £70 that I was promised, so I paid £70 for a repair which wasn't possible and won't allow a refund :-x

I ended up going to currys and paying £299 for a new laptop yesterday.

Should I take this higher and report them or just keep hounding them for the refund?

Yes, issue PC world with a letter before action, simply a letter with the heading Letter Before Action, giving them 14 days in which to rectify your complaint, namely the return of your £70 or you will pursue them through the small claims court, which will include costs and interest.

Lodge a formal complaint about their zero customer service to them directly which unfortunately I've not been able to find on their website?

So give these guy a call and lodge one with them Consumer Direct - Contact us

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

You know that Currys = PC World??? If you have problems with the new laptop (its rare) it will be the same bad service.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Ok for starters, if you paid for a system diognostic you got exactly that.

A diognostic isn't a repair, it's a series of tests designed to find a fault or faults. Hence why the price doesn't cover you for the actual repair, if you were told it would then you were lied to and should ask to speak to the person who booked it in and demand at least a partial refund from them.

If they described it at all times as a system diognostic, then I'm afraid you got what you paid for.

Hello,

The policy the Tech Guys have is simple, 'No Fix No Fee'

Although they did do diagnostics on the machine, no fault was found or if it was they didn't offer you a solution to get it fixed, so £70 should be refunded.

Id suggest going back into the store and telling them that even on the tech guys website / posters it states 'no fix no fee'

If you still have no luck, write the store a letter personally, address will be on Find Computers, Laptops, iPods, Printers, TVs, Gaming and more at PC World - The UK's Largest Computing Superstore or you can ring customer services on 0844 5610000 and they'll take it up for you.

Hope this helps

Chris

Tech Guys

Guest jsa12

it sounds like the software was causing the blue screen,with laptops its very difficult as to their compactness and many will not touch them.

a neighbour who took his desktop e machine in to be looked at, was charged an amount he did not disclose only to say a fair bit,they blamed the power supply for taking out the motherboard,however on inspection the intel motherboard had failed leaking capacitors around the processor and were clearly visible as leaking at the tops and onto the board that had caused a short a test of the power supply concluded it was fine.

a google check on this board revealed a worldwide problem with the same board and intel played the problem down as a slight leak.pcworld should have picked up on this or just did not want to disclose what they had sold previously was unfit or perhaps didnt even bother to look,they were however very quick to point them to the new pc section,when my neighbour was told of the true problem to say they weren't happy at the least.the pc could be fixed for a £30 motherboard i suspect pcworld charged twice that to be told buy a new one.