Offence with foreign car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All registrations can be identified via the MIB who have links to every EU country insurers Usually EU insurers appoint a local insurer office to handle their claims & even an uninsured foreign driver is 3rd party covered by the MIB

Sorry, from reading the other posts I didn't gather that this forum was only for those on the higher moral grounds.

I was simply looking for help, knowing that what I did was not great, but at the same time not harming or even endangering anyone. If you came to Germany ignoring parking legislation i couldn't possibly care less - quite the opposite actually, as most parking restrictions are more or less random.

I am still very interested in any genuine ideas and help, if anybody has anymore lectures in ethics please keep them to yourselves though.

Thanks to anybody trying to help so far

Marvin

Btw - with regards to some previous posts: it almost reads as if some of the posters like foreign license plates even less then the councils... Just for future reference, I have seen British cars from the stationed British personal in germany and I am sure they stayed beyond 6 months - I can't see the problem with that.

Btw - with regards to some previous posts: it almost reads as if some of the posters like foreign license plates even less then the councils... Just for future reference, I have seen British cars from the stationed British personal in germany and I am sure they stayed beyond 6 months - I can't see the problem with that.

Foreign troops are exempt from the regulations.

I don't recall any statement by the OP that the car has been here for more than six months in any twelve. Did I miss it or did G&M just imagine it. the DVLA has much less power when a vehicle isn't registered with them, check out the V62 form and look up what 'registration' means. Councils don't like it either so maybe that were G&M's opinion is coming from.

The OP has not stated wether his tickets are parking fines (which get ignored) or valid parking notice's

I am sure if OP stated what and who issued them he would find different points of view than driving foriegn plated vehicle.

Wot:confused:

I don't recall any statement by the OP that the car has been here for more than six months in any twelve. Did I miss it or did G&M just imagine it. the DVLA has much less power when a vehicle isn't registered with them, check out the V62 form and look up what 'registration' means. Councils don't like it either so maybe that were G&M's opinion is coming from.

Hi, i have been living in the uk for over 3 years now and had a car with a German license plate for the whole time. Since a year I have a new car and since we live in a street with no parking opportunity I have collected quite a few tickets on the license plate.

I think you will find livining here for 3 years means he is resident and cannot use the temporary 6 month exemption. He knew he was parking where he shouldn't and assumed he would not get caught with foreign plates and now wants help, judging by the responses here you are in the minority when it comes to support.

So you did imagine it. see "The car has been in Germany every now and then - checked with the insurance company and they were happy with it. " Its not about majority view (of the people who posted, we don't know the view of those that read the thread and didn't post) its not an election. its about the rules and regs. We do not have all the facts, as I said earlier lets not jump the gun. Yet so many have, you included. Why on earth people rush to condemn especially in the absence of the relevant facts on a forum where people come for help is beyond me. Its certainly against the spirit and intent of this place. Jumping to conclusions is not good mental exercise. Fortunately not everyone is like that but of course those that do like to jump the gun and rush to condemn in the absence of all the facts are also the ones who post. Is that why the lame 'majority view' comment came from G&M ? its up to the readers to decide.

Hi lamma

Thanks for your post - you expressed what I thought but didn't want to voice being new to the fo rum. I am a bit disappointed about the hostility i encountered here so far and it is good and refreshing to see that not everyone in this forum agrees with it.

Rgds

Marvin

So you did imagine it. see "The car has been in Germany every now and then - checked with the insurance company and they were happy with it.

What has the insurance company got to do with the registration and importation of vehicles to the uk? Every now and then is not six months, the car is not permitted to be in the uk for more than 6 months in any 12. The OP has also stated he is resident here and is therefore not classed as a visitor and cannot keep a vehicle on foreign plates, its against the law. If you are going to try and defend peoples criminality you should at least understand the law first.

Oh G&M put the toys back in the council pram. more selective partial quotes from you "So you did imagine it. see "The car has been in Germany every now and then - checked with the insurance company and they were happy with it. " Its not about majority view (of the people who posted, we don't know the view of those that read the thread and didn't post) its not an election. its about the rules and regs. We do not have all the facts, as I said earlier lets not jump the gun." the law is applied after the facts are determined (another thing that you know but have overlooked for some reason of your own). We don't have the facts and you are wittering on about the law. Your horse and cart meed rearranging. Do you have anything to say based on facts that will well help the poster ? Oh and you have jumped several times to conclusions about residency, tax residency, permanent resident, non-dom ? I have residences in two countries and am resident in both. I'll let you work out how that is as you obviously don't need any facts to draw conclusions, moral idealogical or 'legal' come to that. No facts but plenty of legal opinion from you G&M. Councils really don't like foreign plates do they. Lets all use them !

OP#1

Hi, i have been living in the uk for over 3 years now and had a car with a German license plate for the whole time. Since a year I have a new car and since we live in a street with no parking opportunity I have collected quite a few tickets on the license plate. Recently I was stopped at Manchester airport and got my details taken of me after which I received all the tickets on the postal way. The car is owned and registered on my mum which I told the police. I also said that she just recently bought it (right) and the tickets were incurred by somebody else (wrong).

I am now in a situation where I wonder what the best course of action is to avoid the considerable charge?

I guess i was a bit naive thinking I would get away with it and thought about registering the car in the UK - I don't want to pay all the past tickets though!

Thanks

Marvin

post#16

This is my second car here and i am studying here - thus spending a considerate amount of time in Germany at my parents. According to my german insurance I am insured for as long as I am not in the UK for more then 6 consecutive months. German insurance is consideably cheaper, why wouldn't I make use of that?

The total amount owed is around 1,000 GBP, none of the offences was major, we are talking about parking tickets in a street where there is literally NO parking possibility.

The interesting thing is that the manchester police stopped me (with machine guns and everything!) while the offences took place somewhere else!

Rgds

ML

post#27

Sorry, from reading the other posts I didn't gather that this forum was only for those on the higher moral grounds.

I was simply looking for help, knowing that what I did was not great, but at the same time not harming or even endangering anyone. If you came to Germany ignoring parking legislation i couldn't possibly care less - quite the opposite actually, as most parking restrictions are more or less random.

I am still very interested in any genuine ideas and help, if anybody has anymore lectures in ethics please keep them to yourselves though.

Thanks to anybody trying to help so far

Marvin

post#32

The OP has not stated wether his tickets are parking fines (which get ignored) or valid parking notice's

I am sure if OP stated what and who issued them he would find different points of view than driving foriegn plated vehicle

JonCris maybe if the thread was read you would not to post Wot:-?

post#33

Wot:-?

post#36

Hi lamma

Thanks for your post - you expressed what I thought but didn't want to voice being new to the fo rum. I am a bit disappointed about the hostility i encountered here so far and it is good and refreshing to see that not everyone in this forum agrees with it.

Rgds

Marvin

:confused: ML84 if you read post #32 It is not the reason why you posted on here, and asks for further information :-?

some tickets may only be parking fines.(incorrect PCN's)

If they correct PCN's then you were aware you where receiving them but carried on regardless.

Then post here to try and avoid payment.

your first post does state

"I don't want to pay all the past tickets though!"

:)

dk

Oh G&M put the toys back in the council pram. more selective partial quotes from you "So you did imagine it. see "The car has been in Germany every now and then - checked with the insurance company and they were happy with it. " Its not about majority view (of the people who posted, we don't know the view of those that read the thread and didn't post) its not an election. its about the rules and regs. We do not have all the facts, as I said earlier lets not jump the gun." the law is applied after the facts are determined (another thing that you know but have overlooked for some reason of your own). We don't have the facts and you are wittering on about the law. Your horse and cart meed rearranging. Do you have anything to say based on facts that will well help the poster ? Oh and you have jumped several times to conclusions about residency, tax residency, permanent resident, non-dom ? I have residences in two countries and am resident in both. I'll let you work out how that is as you obviously don't need any facts to draw conclusions, moral idealogical or 'legal' come to that. No facts but plenty of legal opinion from you G&M. Councils really don't like foreign plates do they. Lets all use them !

I will happily appologise to the OP if and when he states he has been resident in Germany for at least 185 days a year and the vehicle has been used for less than six months in any 12. Until then I will stick to my view that the OP has deliberately tried to avoid complying with uk law and avoided paying for 'road tax' and insurance in the UK by pretending to be a visitor to the uk when in fact he was residing here as a student.

From the below website, it appears that the 6 month rule only applies to visitors, if the OP is now considered to be a resident it does not apply and the vehicle should have been registered etc.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10014623

"EU vehicles brought into the UK can be used for six months in any 12-month period. You do not need to register the vehicle in the UK as long as you can show that the vehicle complies with the registration and tax requirements of its home country. It’s the responsibility of the driver to prove how long the vehicle has been in the country. Producing ferry tickets can do this.

If the keeper of the vehicle becomes resident in the UK, the vehicle must be immediately registered and taxed in the UK.

UK residents are not allowed to use a foreign registered vehicle on UK roads. The exception is when a UK resident:

• is employed or self-employed in another EU member state
  • uses a EU registered company car temporarily in the UK for business purposes"

Guys

I am still registered in Germany at my parents house. I am in Germany for around half the year and will go back permanently soon - why on earth would I want to register it here? How would I then drive in Germany?

Can we please stick to my question in future posts?

Thanks

Marvin

Guys

I am still registered in Germany at my parents house. I am in Germany for around half the year and will go back permanently soon - why on earth would I want to register it here? How would I then drive in Germany?

Can we please stick to my question in future posts?

Thanks

Marvin

Perhaps this in your opening post confused people:

i have been living in the uk for over 3 years now

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

ML84

you asked in your last post "can we stick to your question"

you mean like this!!! 8) that i have already posted # 39

:confused: ML84 if you read post #32 It is not the reason why you posted on here, and asks for further information :-?

some tickets may only be parking fines.(incorrect PCN's)

If they correct PCN's then you were aware you where receiving them but carried on regardless.

Then post here to try and avoid payment.

your first post does state

"I don't want to pay all the past tickets though!"

dk

for some reason you have skipped over my posting,

I have not responed or questioned your car or living status just parking tickets

If you cannot be bothered answering post about your question, then I will not bother asking again.

dk

Edited by dragonkeeper

:lol:

ML84 taken his "money" home to Germany

has not posted since 14 July

must not off liked his answers. :smile:

dk

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=53003

The Police must be cracking down on German cars at Airports here is another one with a very similar 'story'! :D both Marvin and Martin seem to have disapeared.