• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiff Hit my boyfriend and my sister and the police let him go! HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On July 1st afternoon, my bf was picking up my sister (17 years old) from our friend's house around leyton area. On their way home, they were stopped by a van with cameras on the roof. A very strong black guy came out of that van and came to my bf's car, instead of showing any ID certificate or saying anything, he just quickly snatching the car keys and went back to the van. My bf and my sister were very shocked by his behavior. They went up to the van and asked him what was he doing. Without asking whether my bf was the owner of the car or not, he showed a warrant and ask him to pay the fine about 600 pounds. My bf told him he was not the owner but he refused to believe him even my bf showed him his ID. When my bf was explaining to him, my sister asked the guy to give back the keyring which she just put on with her favourite Hello Kitty Doll. He shouted at my sister loudly and pushed her. My sister was so frightened and started to crying and begging him to gave her back the hello kitty. Suddenly he just jumped up and continue pushing my poor sister in the middle of the street. My bf was so angry and stepped up to protect my sister. But the guy just out of control started hitting my bf and even hi on my sister like a savage. My sister crying left the scene and came to my place which took her more than one and half hour.(i lived around wimbledon).

When i saw my sister, she had several cuts on her arms and bruise all over the back the legs. She cried her eyes out, poor little thing. She told me what just happened and i called my bf immediately. Bf told me when he called the police that guy called the 999 as well and claimed he was assaulted, when the police came they just told by bf that the blakc guy was indeed a bailiff and he DID have the right to grab the car key (which i think is totally crap, isn't it?!) also the police told my bf that he need to follow the baliff's order. When my bf told the police that the warrant was not under his name and the so called bailiff used violence to him. then the police just claimed there were no witness to prove what my bf said and it was just some misunderstanding between them and left with this conclusion!! WTF!!

The car belongs to my friend who was travelling abroad these two months. I phoned him and told him the whole thing. he felt very sorry for us and said that he might had one or two unpaid tickets, he asked me to get the pay for him first to get the car back when he get back to UK he would pay me back. So i called my bf told him to pay, but my boyfriend did not got that amount and the bailliff refused to take card. He also insisted the office had already closed the only way to pay is cash on his hand. so i asked him to wait for me go there to pay and i definately would ask him to apologize to my sister.

I tried my fastest to go there ( from wimbledon to leaton in rush hour), but when i arrived i just saw a van with cameras drove away in front of my eyes, and the car was towed away by a big truck. My bf was standing beside it helplessly. He told me the bailliff insisted to call the tow company after double comfirmed that someone would come to pay the fine, which means even if i arrived much more earlier i would have to pay another 200 quid on top of the fine for the tow. And when he saw me coming, he deliberately drove away claim he was off work. I asked the tow guy to call him again and bailliff refused to come back which would cost me another 30 quid to pick up the car the next day from him. The tow guy said he also felt very sorry for us seeing us got the money and he proundly drove away. but he could do nothing and he could not accept cash from us. (BTW, the bailliff also did not allow my bf to get his own belongings in the car!! which included his personal suitcase and a pair of very expensive sun glasses!)

So..That is the whole story. then i called my friends tole him all we've experienced. He apologized to us for everything he caused, and asked us to leave it cos he did not want the car any more if the bailliff was really that outrageous. Don pay them so he would not get any commission at all. He's the car owner, he can decide to leave the car or not, but

Now my bf was not only bruise and scars all over the body but also got fever for two days. I called the company which the bailliff worked for, but always been transfered to the voice message. No real person answered it!

I was so angry about how we've been treated by that so called bailliff. That cruel brute. That's not bailliff that's a bloody thug with bailiff license!!

what am i gonna do now?? I felt so hurt watching my poor sister's bruises and my bf's scars! Why a licensed bailliff could do things like this??!! When he knew i gonna pay, he deliberatedly called the tow company just to rise up his own commission!! and when he saw me coming, he drove away so he was sure i need the car and i would pay in full , so drove away immediately would gave him another portion of commission from the car pond!! What kind of person is that?!

sorry to post such a long annoying story, i just felt so unfair and so helpless. Please give me some advice about what to do next.

and i really want to know whether the bailiff got the right to snatch the car key before showing anything saying anything even using violence??!!

HELP MY BF HELP MY SIS, HELP ME! SOMEBODY GIVE US SOME JUSTICE!!!

please, somebody, have a heart!!

PS: I removed all you guys ask me to remove!!! Do apologize if i broke any rule of this forum!! and thank you all for replying me!!!

Edited by deliax

First off sweetie take off any personal info, ie his name and number. Now what your sister and boyfriend need to do is get straight back down to the police station and report this asap. This bailiff had no authority to touch your sister or b/f at all and he should not only be prosecuted for this but he should have his certificate taken from him, thats if he has one.

You also need to get on to the council that issued these parking tickets and get a complaint written to the chief executive of the council and also you need to get onto the bailiff company.

This bailiff has crossed so many lines I just dont know where to begin.

Your sister and boyfriend urgently need their injuries to be documented.

First things first get down that police station, this is not just a misunderstanding and who ever told you that needs to learn about bailiff matters.

I am sure there will be many more people to give you more advice.

On July 1st afternoon, my bf was picking up my sister (17 years old) from our friend's house around leyton area. On their way home, they were stopped by a van with cameras on the roof. A very strong black guy came out of that van and came to my bf's car, instead of showing any ID certificate or saying anything, he just quickly snatching the car keys and went back to the van. My bf and my sister were very shocked by his behavior. They went up to the van and asked him what was he doing. Without asking whether my bf was the owner of the car or not, he showed a warrant and ask him to pay the fine about 600 pounds. My bf told him he was not the owner but he refused to believe him even my bf showed him his ID. When my bf was explaining to him, my sister asked the guy to give back the keyring which she just put on with her favourite Hello Kitty Doll. He shouted at my sister loudly and pushed her. My sister was so frightened and started to crying and begging him to gave her back the hello kitty. Suddenly he just jumped up and continue pushing my poor sister in the middle of the street. My bf was so angry and stepped up to protect my sister. But the guy just out of control started hitting my bf like a savage. My sister crying left the scene and came to my place which took her more than one and half hour. My place is around wimbledon.

When i saw my sister, she had several cuts on her arms and bruise all over the back the legs. She cried her eyes out, poor little thing. She told me what just happened and i called my bf. Bf told me they called the police, but police just told him that guy was the bailiff he had the right to grab the key and ask him to follow his order. When my bf told the polic the warrant was not his name at all and the so called bailiff used violence to him and the liitle girl. but police just told them there were no witness and it was just some misunderstanding! WTF!!

The car belongs to my friend who was abroad these two months. I phoned him and told him the whole thing. he felt very sorry for us and said that he might had one or two unpaid tickets, he asked me to get the paperworks pay for him first, when he get back he would pay me back. So i called my bf told him to pay, but my boyfriend did not got that amount and the bailliff refused to take card and insisted the office had already closed. so i asked him to wait for me go there to pay and i definately would ask him to apologize to my sister.

I tried my fastest to go there, but when i arrived i just saw a van drove away in front of my eyes, and the car was towing away by a big truck. My bf was standing there helplessly. He told me the bailliff insisted to call the tow company after waited for my about 10 minutes which even if i arrived i have to pay another 200 for the tow. And when he saw me coming, he deliverately drove away claim he was off. I asked the tow guy to call him and he refused to came back which would cost me another 30 quid to pick up the car the next day from him.

That is the whole story. then i called my friends about all we've experienced. He apologized to us for everything he costed, and asked us to leave it cos he doesn't want the car any more if the bailliff was really that outrageous.

Now my bf was not only bruise and scars all over the body but also got fever for two days. I called the company that bailliff worked but always transfered to the voice message.

I was so angry about how we've been treated by that so called bailliff. That cruel brute. That's not bailliff that's called bloody thug!!

what am i gonna do now?? I felt so hurt watching my poor sister's bruises and my bf's scars! Why a licensed bailliff could do things like that!! When he knows i gonna pay, he deliberatedly called the tow company just to rise up his own commission!! What kind of person is that?!

Edit

sorry to post such a long annoying story, i just felt so unfair and so helpless. Please give me some advice about what to do next.

and i really want to know whether the bailiff got the right to snatch the car key before showing anything saying anything even using violence??!!

HELP MY BF HELP MY SIS, SOMEBODY GAVE US JUSTICE!!!

please, somebody, have a heart!!

Which local authority were they working on behalf off ?

Edited by cerberusalert
names removed

I agree, it just does not need to be said. I am appalled.

Sean is right.

Back to police,

get it logged as assault or whatever

Get photos taken etc if necessary

Were there any other witnesses?

If the police try to fob you off, just ask to speak to a higher rank, etc. Do not let up. Threaten the police with the Independent Police Complaint Commission (IPCC) if they try to ignore you. I would be worried if they did.

Call a solicitor if need be to help.

Get it all official and by the book and then throw the book at them.

Also, if what you say about the police ignoring it is right then I suggest you look into taking matters further with a complaint against the officers involved. How can they stand there and ignore that. They also need to be taught a lesson.

Straight to the station, ASAP.

Others will be along to help soon.

sorry guys, i removed his details!! do i have to remove the company name as well?

i just felt so hurt guys!!! sorry, forgive me for breaking the forum rule! i would never mention the names again!!

back to the subject, I would like to go to the police station but the problem now is my bf told me at that time the police asked both him and that bailliff to sign a no further allegation paper otherwise they would arrest both of them! so they both signed and the police left!!

if i were him, i would never sign those things, right?! why should i be assaulted and be arrested for allegation?!

i just felt the police and bailliff were together!!!! aren't they?! i don know!

so...frustrating...so hurtful:(

sorry guys, i removed his details!! do i have to remove the company name as well?

i just felt so hurt guys!!! sorry, forgive me for breaking the forum rule! i would never mention the names again!!

back to the subject, I would like to go to the police station but the problem now is my bf told me at that time the police asked both him and that bailliff to sign a no further allegation paper otherwise they would arrest both of them! so they both signed and the police left!!

if i were him, i would never sign those things, right?! why should i be assaulted and be arrested for allegation?!

i just felt the police and bailliff were together!!!! aren't they?! i don know!

so...frustrating...so hurtful:(

Its often the police will side with the bailiff. Did your sister sign one?

Right, from what I have just found out and some one please correct me if I am wrong, is that your b/f and sister have the right to legal council before signing anything that the police give you. Did they waiver that right? Or were they even asked?

I would still certainly pursue this matter, but I would get legal guidance first before you do. This bailiff should not be allowed to get away with this, at all!!

There are many things you can do and I for one will help in what ever way I can and I am sure there are plenty on here who will also help.

Your sister is entitled to legal aid because of her age, so maybe seeing a criminal solicitor who is prepared to give advise to her with regards to this.

Keep us informed.

I just can't believe that these so called bailiffs get away this sort of behavior.

You must make a complaint to the police regarding the officer/s who attended and report the bully for assault on your sister and BF.

Not sure where where police are coming from with no witness but there again the police no sod all about bailiff law and just side with them 100% of the time.

Its about time bailiffs and the police were brought to book regarding there actions.

Get some pictures taken immediately of the injuries to sister and BF and if you can go see a solicitor, most offer free advice for 1st hour.

George

I don't know why people suggest that you remove details, it's not as if you are committing libel by being honest and factual. Now I would like to help but I don't know who stopped you - but let me guess - Newlyn?

To show that it is perfectly alright to expose the (Edit) who snatch car keys wothout warrants, I can tell you that this is at least the fourth time in Essex that this has happened, with three having been reported to myself. In all cases the bailiff company was Newlyn, the bailiffs were self employed and dressed like stormtroopers and their names were Sam (Edit) (twice) and (Edit). That is a fact as their names are written on the paperwork they presented and which now sits on my file.

In all those cases the police thought that this was normal and acceptable.

I can tell you that a major Sunday newspaper is very interested.

Come back and put the names back on so that this can be dealt with and without resorting to guesswork.

Also, which bl..dy awful police station was it?

Edited by ukaviator
Names removed

Can you post the warrant, only I have my doubts that it was one being as this was almost certainly a self employed ANPR pretend policeman?

This private citizen felt that he had the authority to STOP and DETAIN you? Can you describe how as not even real policemean can do that.

What was the local plod shop thinking when they heard this and approved?

The civility of rules is not there to protect those who consider the law to be irrelevant and have no civility when they deliberately break it.

Sorry Seanmarts. I know you meant well but this Essex banditry has to stop.

The civility of rules is not there to protect those who consider the law to be irrelevant and have no civility when they deliberately break it.

Sorry Seanmarts. I know you meant well but this Essex banditry has to stop.

I cant help it if I am from essex, I know it dosnt help that I am blond as well .. ohh banditry.. heh I read it as blonditry.. I think the fumes from the hair dye is getting to me

To the moderators. Do not edit people's posts without the courtesy of contacting them first. If there is any good reason why those who did what they did cannot be named then do tell. They can always respond. Would you like to have seen their signatures?

A Consumer Action Forum is of no use at all if it frightened of the facts.

This is the last post I put on this forum.

To the moderators. Do not edit people's posts without the courtesy of contacting them first. If there is any good reason why those who did what they did cannot be named then do tell. They can always respond. Would you like to have seen their signatures?

FP on a serious note here, your information in valuable to those who need it. Please dont stop posting. I learn stuff from people like you.. and its free..

Calm down a bit then come back.;)

FP on a serious note here, your information in valuable to those who need it. Please don't stop posting. I learn stuff from people like you.. and its free..

Calm down a bit then come back.;)

totally agree where would be without people like Fair parking to show us the way

..and it's of no use if it's been closed down because users have posted defamatory information on it, either.

You must post within the boundaries set out by CAG.

One last post. Thank you for your kind words Seanamarts, but unfortunately censorship is unacceptable unless it is removing offensive language. Censorship from those who are anonymous, less so. Censorship that invokes both those principles and which happens without the courtesy of communication is the epitomy of a world that I am fighting against.

Scarlet Pimpernel. Learn something from someone who has been a journalist for 36 years. There is nothing defamatory or libellous in setting out the facts. If you don't understand that then you should not be moderating. This forum will be closed down by who exactly?....if we continue to tell the truth and fight for justice. There is no medium for that to happen.

Now let the OP have the floor back. This thread should not be dominated by my beliefs and you justifying your failures.

Edited by Fair-Parking

One last post. Thank you for your kind words Seanamarts, but unfortunately censorship is unacceptable unless it is removing offensive language. Censorship from those who are anonymous, less so. Censorship that invokes both those principles and which happens without the courtesy of communication is the epitomy of a world that I am fighting against

Then stay here and fight with us, you cant stop just because of a rule that some of us dont like either, but we stick to it so that we can help others and learn from others more knowledgeable then ourselves.

It only takes one person who is named on the forum to shut this place down, then where would we be.. it leaves the whole fight pointless and a waste of many peoples time and efforts. Yes there are rules that none of us like and if we break those then we are no better than the bailiffs that we are fighting.

I believe they should be named and shamed but not here, this place is far to precious to so many to be shut down because we want to name a few names.

Have a look at Section 27 of the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004, it seemd to give immunity from liability if a bailiff uses violence against someone to obtain money. This could be interpreted as having lawful right to use violence. The police might hide behind this and play the its-a-civil-matter card.