Cheques Clearing question

CJ&theBOS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If i pay for something by cheque does it go from my account immediately (ie within 24 hours) i had always thought it takes about 3 - 5 days (or longer)

But just recently i gave someone a cheque for money i owed them (they preferred cheque) but i didnt have the funds available on that day. (ie today)

I have funds available from thursday but not today.

But according to the bank (HBOS) it comes off my account straight away.

?? if it comes off my account straight away but doesnt go into the other person's account for up to 5 days then where is it????? In some financial blackhole?

thanks guys :)

HBOS - Data Protection Act Request 03/08/06

HBOS - Statements received 29/08/06

HBOS - Preliminary Letter Asking for it Back 01/09/06

HBOS - LBA Sent 19/09/06

HBOS - Moneyclaim filed 06/10/06

HBOS - acknowledged claim 11/10/06

HBOS - partial offer received for £716 16/10/06

HBOS - I THINK I MIGHT HAVE WON!! HBOS credit my account

with £2341 + costs/interest!! will know details soon

26/10/06

ive paid for things before with cheque and the money didnt come off until 3 - 5 days later. hrmm.

However what might make a difference is that the person i paid the cheque to has a HBOS account as well so maybe that is why the money comes off straight away.

Ill ask this person if the money went into their account straight away. :)

HBOS - LBA Sent 19/09/06

26/10/06

hi the banks just make money in interest, it goes into a suspense account. just another way to shaft us, however i have heard reports recently that this is all about to change in the near future and the 3-5 days will become a single clearing day.

I gave my son a cheque for £100 because I was going away and couldnt get to the bank that day to give him cash, anyway he paid the cheque into his account, ( we are both with the halifax, same branch ) the money came out of my account 2 days later, but didnt go into my sons account for another 8 days, as I say same bank, same branch, you work it out, cos I cant, its a **** take and really annoys me no end.

cheques cheques cheques a safe way to send and receive money, as long as you can wait to get ur hands on the wad lol most banks take 3 to 10 working days, for cheques to clear, the bset i know, is the halifax, where a cheque takes three working days, i have two accounts with them, one account takes ten days for a clearance and the other takes just three to clear, as for the person whom gave me the cheques, it comes out of they account within 2 working days, so best to have the money ready and waiting before writing any cheques to anyone, as people can pay extra for fast clearance, at a fee of between £12.00 and £24.00, i'm lucky really as i do all my banking on line now, which shows me instantly of transactions. hope i,ve assisted in some way to your thread. thanks.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

cheques cheques cheques a safe way to send and receive money, as long as you can wait to get ur hands on the wad lol most banks take 3 to 10 working days, for cheques to clear, the bset i know, is the halifax, where a cheque takes three working days, i have two accounts with them, one account takes ten days for a clearance and the other takes just three to clear, as for the person whom gave me the cheques, it comes out of they account within 2 working days, so best to have the money ready and waiting before writing any cheques to anyone, as people can pay extra for fast clearance, at a fee of between £12.00 and £24.00, i'm lucky really as i do all my banking on line now, which shows me instantly of transactions. hope i,ve assisted in some way to your thread. thanks.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

ok i contacted the person who i gave the cheque to.....

they checked their account. The cheque has cleared and the money is in their account ON THE SAME DAY.

now according to their online statement it says it was a TRANSFER not a cheque!!! kinda weird eh???

is this normal? for a cheque to be credited and debited on the same day?

HBOS - LBA Sent 19/09/06

26/10/06

FWIW there is a banking protocol for cleairng cheques, my personal view is that this is a throw back to the days before electronic transfer was as easy and flexible as it is, or should be, today.

I pay my salary cheque (ex Barclays) into my account (NatWest) it clears into my account in 1 or 2 days. I think some banks have establisehd a 'local' practice of clearing cheques which come from the same source regularly.

I think banks rely on their protocol to make vast sums of moeny whilst they have our money.

JMHO

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Generally, the way it works is that if the cheque is presented at the same branch that the accout is at then it should go out the same day. If it's another branch or bank then it takes 3 to 5 days to work it's way through the system.

If you pay a cheque in it's credited to your account straight away but is shown as an uncleared balance so you can't draw on it, usually for 5 working days or more. Three days after you presented it it will be debited from the other persons account but can take another 2 or 3 days or longer for the money to actually work it's way to your account and to show up as cleared funds. During this time of course the banks are getting the use of your money for free.

Totally scandelous in this day and age. There is no reason why a cheque presented at a bank cannot be cleared or rejected there and then, or at least by the next working day.

I don't know what that delay end up earning for the banks but 5%ish for 3 to 5 days on EVERY SINGLE penny of EVERY SINGLE cheque written must be a vast amount.

Actually, I think I'll run a little experimant between two of my accounts and see how long it takes to clear a cheque between them.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!