capquest Default account on my credit file after ID theft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Ive just registered and this forum is new to me(found it last night)! But, thought this looks interesting and maybe I could get some help with my biggest headache at the moment:

In January this year I tried a Free Trial Subs with Experian C.R.A. and was shocked to see 2 defaults on my file-I know for a fact that I have NEVER defaulted on any account. The two defaults one with "Studio" mail order and one with "Capquest" (whom I had never heard of and assumed was another mail order company) were from my previous address. I immediately contacted customer services at Experian and explained that not only were these accounts Not opened by me, but I had moved from that address BEFORE they were opened.I was advised to write to both companies and include any proof of changed address-which I did on 19/1/10. Did not get reply from either. But an email from Experian on 6th Feb '10 said that both companies had decided to "keep" the defaults on my file. I was angry and really upset-but I gathered all the evidence I could to show WHY I had left my previous address: I had been viciously assaulted and kicked til I was un-conscious on communal stairs of the block of flats where I had lived by next-door neighbours and male friends and my life was threatened and front door kicked down following my attack when I was in hospital.(This resulted in a later court case) The council moved me into emergency temp housing which later became permenant. I sent copies of many documents including "contract for new address" Dated, water rates bill with changeover for both addresses with the dates stated on there, council document which officially made me 'homeless' and dated etc. I sent a letter explaining the circumstances of my move and included about 6 items of evidence to both Studio and Capquest. Anyway Studio DID remove the default from my file and Capquest just returned my letter and contents with a slip saying "my account had been "Closed" and referred back to originators". But the Default remained on my file.

I telephoned Capquest 4 times, costly over-long calls, advised by them to email these documents (that they had returned) and copy of proof of DOB (as they account stated a different one) I did this twice-no response and finally I wrote to them and included copies of all documents they required-I sent this 1st class Recorded Delivery on 5th June'10. Caapquest received this and signed for it on 9th June-but still I have heard nothing.I cannot afford to keep telephoning them and not getting anywhere.

I did not know Capquest was a debt collecting agency until I looked them up on internet in about March of this year. I have been advised I should contact the original source of the debt which I have never been told who this is-though, during 1 of my calls to Capquest, I beleive may be Littlewoods mail order. But where do I start when I write to these people ie Whom do I address it to? Do I use a ref no that Capquest had given me? And will they still have a record of this account which was opened on 27/10/2005?

Please I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance,

katykatz:-?

Have you visited this site?

Welcome to IdentityTheft.org.uk

Also have you asked Experian to correct this? How to dispute your credit report from Experian.com

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I can empathise with you on this. My daughter had her ID stolen sfter she moved to a new address and 6 years later, she is still getting letters AND after she has told the creditors that it isn't her debt AND after telling them any debt is now Statute Barred.

What I would be doing is writing to Capquest raising a formal complaint,telling them to remove the default or you will sue them for defamation. If they reject your complaint, you could go to the Information Commissioner and the Financial Ombudsman.

Why not see if Trading Standards would help. You can contact them via consumer direct:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

I would also report them to the OFT although they don't help individuals

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

And lets not forget the ICO who hopefully will begin to bear their teeth against these companies running roughshod over peoples credit files and lives.

Data breach howlers to get up to £500,000 fine ? The Register

The point to note here is that you really must COMPLAIN COMPLAIN AND COMPLAIN AGAIN!!!!

Be it to the 'supposed' regulatory' bodies, OFT/TS/FOS etc, the more people you can complain to the better, especially local MP's and Councillors, BBC Watchdog if need be..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

This is an appalling breach of many guidelines.

As has been suggested you MUST complain to all advised above.

If Capquest have put the default on your file, then it is to them whom you write.

You must make a formal complaint and leave them in no doubt that you will be taking them to Court for damages to your CFA and your ongoing life due to these dafaults. You should tell them that you will be asking for a major amount (several thousands) should this not be removed within the next 7 days.

Many thanks to all who kindly gave me some really helpful advice. Most of which said that I must complain to Capquest officially-so this is where I shall go from here-

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to respond to my post, much appreciated!

Katykatz:)

• 2 weeks later...

Re Capquest default account on my credit file. Thanks again for everyone who responded to my entry as above. I took some of that advice and using the template given on this site as a guide-I wrote again to Capquest but this time it was a 'formal complaint' and Capquest actually wrote to me apologising for the situation and agreeing to contact all of the C.R.A.s to have the "Default" removed from my credit files and that it was an error and that the account will then be closed permanently. I am just so relieved this has now been cleared and that I have my clean credit files back. Capquest has informed me that they have now removed the default and I need to contact CallCredit and Equifax to ensure that those files are clear too.

Thanks to this excellent site with it's really helpful and kind members!

Cheers,

Katykatz:D

Well done for getting a result.

I would still report them to the ICO as they should have removed the defaults on the first occasion and not after you had to threaten them

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Make sure Capquest do as they say they will. Debt colectors will say pretty much anything but their doing is very slipshod. If they don't remove the default then is the time to slap them hard and start complaining, and complaining, and then, complain.

Have you checked the other two credit agencies?