Eviction Notice Served

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I visited my cousin this week and he told me an eviction notice has been served for her to vacate the property by 30 August (thats when his contract expires). The rent is £900/month and he's got his deposit with the landlord as well. Currently, he owes the landlord about £200 (well, for the past 7 months) hence the eviction notice.

He's lost his job so he even wants out of the property preferably before that 30th August notice (expiry of his contract).

Oh, they've even erected a "TO LET" signboard on the property though he stil lives there and the contract hasn't yet expired :eek:.

Is it fair?

How does he approach it?

removed

hmm we had that a for let sign its no fun, what notice has he been given a section 21 or a section 8?? if it is mutual and he wants to go, the only thing i can suggest is make sure the house is in good order to receive his deposit minus £200 arrears is this deposit secured??

There is usually something in a tenancy agreement about viewings in the last 2 months and erection of a lettings board. If he is planning on leaving I really wouldn't worry about it, it is common for a landlord to arrange a future tenant before your contract ends.

You would need mutual consent from the landlord to leave early.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thnx guys,

@ thewakers7, am not quite sure which section he was served under but will try to find out and post it here. Do you think its plausible the landlord will allow him early release from the contract?

Yea, the deposit is secured cos he moved into the property somewhere mid - 2007 i believe.

removed

Just because move in date was after the legislation came in doesnt mean it is, always check with the 3 schemes to be sure.

Often just a polite chat with the LL will lead to them being happy to let you go early. Especially if the LL wants the property back anyway, and if you can get an amicable agreement then it often makes it easier with return of the deposit as well.