• Tweets

• Its okay - It happens. And this is why DCAs  user every trick in the book to try and make you crack.  Now its time to come back.    Im not sure how to proceed if Im honest if they have issued a Letter Of Claim.  Only as You could complain to Oakbrook and they still proceed with Legal Proceedings, but I dont know if that would help or hinder the legal proceedings if they began down that avenue.  I know a FOS complaint wouldnt stop Legal Action and probably run along side it.  But I guess a judge would view a disputed balance with the original creditor as cause for concern whether the DCA's claim is valid?    A bit of a muddle.     
    • That is superb. To answer your question - Dear Mr Dhaliwal Change the sentence - As our disabilities were ignored and disregarded for the time taken I believe this is discrimination against us ... To - As our disabilities were ignored and disregarded for the time taken I believe this is discrimination against us contrary to the Equality Act 2010. Iceland have always been useless, not only in your case but in others, but I think if they realise they are breaking the law it will encourage them to act. I also think the letter is overlong and you could lose the paragraph - I cannot afford any unfair charges of this kind as I am severely struggling financially. I cannot work and am a carer for my disabled Son who also has a mental and mobility disability. I obviously do not have any disposable income and am in debt with my bills. So its an absolute impossibility for me to pay this incorrect charge - as the main points are made elsewhere.  
    • Hands up in the fact that i have probably F***** *P!!
    • Car Finance Awards celebrates best of the industryView the full article
    • I want to add my 2 cents here...  The purchase of this debt, Perch Group dont absolve themselves of liabilities from the Original Creditor. They should be responsible for dealing with this complaint in response to an Irresponsible Lending dispute.  If the balance is disputed as such in that way - Then they should be referring to the Original Creditor where applicable.    Also if your complaint was written in a way where a template wasnt used or it was rewritten to a similar effect where it wasnt recognisable - Then you probably would have stood a better opportunity at it not getting rebuffed.  To be honest those - Perch and TM Legal are a waste of Oxygen and will say anything to get you to pay.    Ditto on the template. Where did you find it?  Please keep in mind we have to unravel what you have done till now and help build a formal response.     
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

help 8k in debt ....unsure of next move

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello basically i am new to this and after reading many posts about this im stuck deciding what to do for the best.

my situation is that i owe around 8k to 15 creditors and im trying to find out what the best thing to do is regarding these debts.

my partner isnt aware of the debt and ive had enough of hiding letters not answering the phone and worrying about bailiffslink3.gif turning up.

should i go on a dmplink3.gif i have around £70 per month spare. or should i do a f+f settlement? my brother has offered to give me 2k to help pay off the debts but would 2k be anywhere near enough to settle these?

most of the debts i have are with DCAlink3.gif now but i have 3 catalogues within the jdwilliams group totaling 2k that are still with them and one with studio also for 2k which is still with them they are both now at the internal collection stage.

please can someone advise me what to do for the best and how i go about starting things up.

i rent my house have no assets and have a young son of 4

its a nightmare and i just want to sort it asap

thankyou for any help

OK, firstly, we need to know the start dates (year) of these individual accounts, and we also need to know if there has been a period of non payment or acknowledgement during the life to the alleged debt.

We would usually start by suggesting issuing a CCA request to each one and see what turns up.

OK, firstly, we need to know the start dates (year) of these individual accounts, and we also need to know if there has been a period of non payment or acknowledgement during the life to the alleged debt.

We would usually start by suggesting issuing a CCA request to each one and see what turns up.

hiya they all date back to around 2005/2006 ish i have previously been paying some on a dmp with cccs but i only ever had 5 debt on the plan.

i have stopped the dmp 3 months ago but all the creditors have had contact with me apart from ntl/virgin

my creditors are

Wescot £1,708.00 (was housing rental)

wescot £192.00 (was water)

lowel £334.00 (ccard)

eos £54.00 (paypal)

fenton cooper £486.00 (bank acc)

cabot £53.00 (next)

robinson way £382. 00 (02)

avon £48.00

books for children £80.00

ebay £68.00

24 studio £2,050.00

fashion world £1,400.00

jd williams £150.00

simply yours £300.00

the brilliant gift shop £200.00

Tell your partner. You will feel a whole lot better about everything.

Don't bother about borrowing this money from your brother. It isn't enough to deal with even a small part of the problem so it isn't worth doing.

Your creditors will show no gratitude to you or your brother.

Certainly start looking very closely at what is enforceable and what is not.

But also to get a proper perspective on it all, try downloading iMoneyManager from this site. The discipline of putting it all down will help you to get a better idea of where you are and also to come up with a manageable set of proposals.

Don't get into any verbal arrangements with anyone. No one is to be trusted. Makes sure that every agreement you have is evidenced in writing - or else it is worthless.

Tell your partner. You will feel a whole lot better about everything.

Don't bother about borrowing this money from your brother. It isn't enough to deal with even a small part of the problem so it isn't worth doing.

Your creditors will show no gratitude to you or your brother.

Certainly start looking very closely at what is enforceable and what is not.

But also to get a proper perspective on it all, try downloading iMoneyManager from this site. The discipline of putting it all down will help you to get a better idea of where you are and also to come up with a manageable set of proposals.

Don't get into any verbal arrangements with anyone. No one is to be trusted. Makes sure that every agreement you have is evidenced in writing - or else it is worthless.

as some of the agreements are quite old should i offere f+f settlements on these?

and should i put them all onto a dmp to stop any further action and work from there do you think?

HUGE step to take - I'd personally advise that you initially determine how many of the debts are actually enforceable - then decide what course of action to take.

Take a deep breath and prepare to play the long game. You'll get lots of great advice on here -- don't make any rash decisions which could affect you adversely long-term.

With support, you'll get through this. Debt, after all, is really only an entry on a balance sheet. It's manageable when you know how to play the game. It certainly won't seem so daunting once you start empowering yourself with knowledge.

Good Luck!

Impecunious! :)

HUGE step to take - I'd personally advise that you initially determine how many of the debts are actually enforceable - then decide what course of action to take.

Take a deep breath and prepare to play the long game. You'll get lots of great advice on here -- don't make any rash decisions which could affect you adversely long-term.

With support, you'll get through this. Debt, after all, is really only an entry on a balance sheet. It's manageable when you know how to play the game. It certainly won't seem so daunting once you start empowering yourself with knowledge.

Good Luck!

Impecunious! :)

thanks for your advice. i know im making rash decisions but im just sick of it all now!!

with regards to enforcability do i send out a cca request or sar request im sorry im so stupid but i dont know where to start

I agree. Bankruptcy is a last resort.

You have a lot of creditors but many of these are under £100. It's not impossible but it's unlikely that anyone will take you to court for these. You may get letters and annoying phone calls but they're not your priority.

Of the larger debts it looks as if you could make CCA requests for Lowell, 24 Studio, Fashion World, Simply Yours and the Brilliant Gift Shop. Make the requests (enclosing a Postal Order for £1) and then wait for 12 days. If they don't reply send them the account in dispute letter from the site's library and stop paying if you want to. If they do send anything back then post it up here (minus personal details) for people to look at to see if they're enforceable.

Does the bank charges debt include any charges for bounced transactions etc. If it does you can seek to get these refunded by making a complaint to the bank and then to the Financial Ombudsman. It sounds as if you would have a strong argument for hardship.

The O2 debt is problematic as it isn't a CCA regulated agreement. However, given who it's with they may have added charges. Can you remember how much the debt was for when it was with O2?

Someone with more knowledge than me will be able to help you with the water bill debt. Are you still with the same water company?

Finally, was the rental debt subject to any form of court hearing? Is it for a former tenancy and, if so was it a private or social housing tenancy?

I agree. Bankruptcy is a last resort.

You have a lot of creditors but many of these are under £100. It's not impossible but it's unlikely that anyone will take you to court for these. You may get letters and annoying phone calls but they're not your priority.

Of the larger debts it looks as if you could make CCA requests for Lowell, 24 Studio, Fashion World, Simply Yours and the Brilliant Gift Shop. Make the requests (enclosing a Postal Order for £1) and then wait for 12 days. If they don't reply send them the account in dispute letter from the site's library and stop paying if you want to. If they do send anything back then post it up here (minus personal details) for people to look at to see if they're enforceable.

Does the bank charges debt include any charges for bounced transactions etc. If it does you can seek to get these refunded by making a complaint to the bank and then to the Financial Ombudsman. It sounds as if you would have a strong argument for hardship.

there were charges in here but llyods refuse to send me out the statements and as i dont have any paperwork and cannot remember the account number as it was from 2005ish im not getting anywhere!

The O2 debt is problematic as it isn't a CCA regulated agreement. However, given who it's with they may have added charges. Can you remember how much the debt was for when it was with O2?

it was roughly the same amount i believe

Someone with more knowledge than me will be able to help you with the water bill debt. Are you still with the same water company?

we are with the same company but its in my boyfriends name im not on the bill at all

Finally, was the rental debt subject to any form of court hearing? Is it for a former tenancy and, if so was it a private or social housing tenancy?

it was a flat with a housing association i got behind with rent they then took me to court but i think this was just to regain possesion of the property

i hope that all made sense

hiya they all date back to around 2005/2006 ish i have previously been paying some on a dmp with cccs but i only ever had 5 debt on the plan.

i have stopped the dmp 3 months ago but all the creditors have had contact with me apart from ntl/virgin

my creditors are

Wescot £1,708.00 (was housing rental)

wescot £192.00 (was water)

lowel £334.00 (ccard)CCA as below

eos £54.00 (paypal)

fenton cooper £486.00 (bank acc)

cabot £53.00 (next) CCA as below (store card?)

robinson way £382. 00 (02)

avon £48.00

books for children £80.00

ebay £68.00

24 studio £2,050.00 CCA as below

fashion world £1,400.00 CCA as below

jd williams £150.00 CCA as below

simply yours £300.00 CCA as below

the brilliant gift shop £200.00

Send them a CCA request to see if they are entitled to collect this debt & if it's enforcable. If they fail to provide it within 12+2 days or the CCA is unenforcable you can legally withold any payment until they do. Send it recorded delivery enclosing a £1 postal order. When you get a reply, scan it & remove any identifying details and post it back here where we can have a look at it. We'll advise you from there;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Tradinglink3.gif Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

If you intend to send a reconstituted copy of the CCA you must declare the reason why it has been reconstituted and if the original exists and in what form (microfiche) etc

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

(Optional)

You should also note that I will only discuss this matter in writing and should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you or any of your associates.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance. (Optional)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully **Edit to suit**

Print name do not signlink3.gif

Send them a CCA request to see if they are entitled to collect this debt & if it's enforcable. If they fail to provide it within 12+2 days or the CCA is unenforcable you can legally withold any payment until they do. Send it recorded delivery enclosing a £1 postal order. When you get a reply, scan it & remove any identifying details and post it back here where we can have a look at it. We'll advise you from there;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Tradinglink3.gif Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

If you intend to send a reconstituted copy of the CCA you must declare the reason why it has been reconstituted and if the original exists and in what form (microfiche) etc

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

(Optional)

You should also note that I will only discuss this matter in writing and should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you or any of your associates.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance. (Optional)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully **Edit to suit**

Print name do not signlink3.gif

brilliant could i do this for llyods bank account again even if i do not have account numbers? And with the catalogues jdwilliams fashion world simply yours and the brilliant gift shop are the same so do i send this once for each account within their group

Edited by jaystar85

As Bank Fodder has suggested it would be a good idea to use the Money Software he has suggested.

I have used something similar for ordinary home accounts and it is brilliant.

Failing that, the first thing to do whilst waiting to the results of the CCA requests is to make a regular £1 per month payment to each of your debts. They won't like it, but tough, so long as you are making regular payments there is going to be no legal action and certainly no Bailff action!

OK, I do not know your personal situation, so cannot suggest to tell your partner or not. As BF says it is an enormous relief if you do so, so might I tentatively suggest that you think about telling him, but stress that it was 'hairy' for a while but it is all under control now, which of course it is:).

The situation will be that as each and every CCA request is responded to if you remove identifying info and scan and post on here, the experts will have a look and give their opinions thereon. From then on it is in your hands to take which direction you feel is best. If the Agreements are judged to be un-enforceable, (there are several there that we can say with some certainty will be unenforceable) then your decision is this - to tell them the account is unenforceable and you will not pay another penny, or come to an arrangement that is suitable to YOU.

Is the Lloyds account for an overdraft, because if so, this does not apply, and it is best to go down the 'charges' route.

the llyods one was an overdraft but i know at least 60% of the balance was charges

the brilliant gift shop is a catalogue from jdwilliams it was opened online as were all my catalogue accounts i have never physically signed any papaerwork for any of the things i have listed

OK, I do not know your personal situation, so cannot suggest to tell your partner or not. As BF says it is an enormous relief if you do so, so might I tentatively suggest that you think about telling him, but stress that it was 'hairy' for a while but it is all under control now, which of course it is:).

The situation will be that as each and every CCA request is responded to if you remove identifying info and scan and post on here, the experts will have a look and give their opinions thereon. From then on it is in your hands to take which direction you feel is best. If the Agreements are judged to be un-enforceable, (there are several there that we can say with some certainty will be unenforceable) then your decision is this - to tell them the account is unenforceable and you will not pay another penny, or come to an arrangement that is suitable to YOU.

thanks so much for your info i feel so much more postive about things already!

Finally, Water and Housing, I presume you were on a lease /rental agreement with the housing, pretty sure this is not covered by a CCA and of course neither is the water.

You are hearing from westclots regards the housing, so how long is it since you have paid anything off this, and how old is it?

Have to have a think on the Water

Finally, Water and Housing, I presume you were on a lease /rental agreement with the housing, pretty sure this is not covered by a CCA and of course neither is the water.

You are hearing from westclots regards the housing, so how long is it since you have paid anything off this, and how old is it?

Although different circumstances i recently had a DCA come after me for a water bill at a previous address, sent them the prove it letter, might be worth a try.

yes it was a rental agreement

it was about 2 months ago since i paid something like £5

[/b]

Although different circumstances i recently had a DCA come after me for a water bill at a previous address, sent them the prove it letter, might be worth a try.

yes it may be worth a try but i have previously been paying them so dont know if it would work the same

yes it may be worth a try but i have previously been paying them so dont know if it would work the same

It cant hurt though & will put a shot across the bows so to speak:D, your still entitled to ask for proof of any debt.

It might not solve anything but it will give you a clearer picture of whats what & also show them you are informing your self with legal knowledge & to be treated with respect. In my circumstances i never heard from them again.