unregistered elecricity meter- advice needed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

If anyone can help me with this I’d really appreciate it!

The situation is this (and I’ll try and be concise.) I'm renting a new build in a small block with three other flats and an office.

When I moved in (2005) I was told by the guy moving out that there were no bills for electricity, which I assumed meant it was part of the rent. I've never received a bill addressed to me or 'the occupier' and never been given any contrary info from the landlord or letting agent (ie final readings from last tenant, name of supplier.) I didn't think anything of it until recently when I got a letter from EDF (who supply my gas) saying 'your electricity isn't registered with us do you want to switch etc. As I am planning to move out, this letter prompted me to check out the electricity situation, just to be sure when I move out all is in order. Well, to cut the story short, I found my electricity meter and the meters for the other flats and, with a bit of help from a friend, worked out that none of them are registered to any of the flats. There are four meters and each meter has an MPAN number and a supplier and the address that comes up is the one for the whole building, but none of the meters are registered to the individual flats (ie. my official address is FLat2, xxxx Road, flat upstairs is Flat 1 xxxx road, etc etc.)

This makes me slightly suspicious of the previous tenants assertion that ‘there is no electricity bill.’ Now, I could be wrong, the bill could be being paid by the landlord and hence the four meters only having one address. But, to prepare myself for any surprises when I do move out could someone advise me on a couple of things?

Where do I stand- is it the landlord’s responsibility to register each meter and make sure I have that info? Should I have been given that info when I moved in? And the previous tenants claim of no bill- that was a verbal statement and could be interpreted in different ways- if the worst came to the worst can I use this in my defence? I know that ultimately the tenant is responsible for utility bills and I can’t see anything on my contract saying electricity is excluded. I’ve thought about raising this with the landlord or simply moving out and claiming ignorance. It would be very helpful to get some advice so I’m prepared before I make my move. Thanks!

Meters do not have the MPAN number on them but do normally have a serial number which is about 8 characters, i.e. 12VB0987 unless the meters had tags on them.

Sometimes in a small block of flats you may have one meter with 4 sub meters and these sub meters allow the landlord to bill you seperately however this is very unusual.

More than likely what has happened, the metering was installed on a request from the builder and the meters were never registered. If they were never registered to any supplier, then no charge. If they are registered to a supplier but the supplier has been slack, they can only back bill you 2 years. It may be one year now but not sure.

If you leave without notifying the supplier, I doubt if anything will happen.

thanks for the reply. yes, the MPANS aren't on the meter, you're right, it's the serial number. but they do have MPANS assigned to them

If I knew in which distribution area you lived, i.e. East midlands, West Midlands, South East, North east etc. I may be able to advise whom to contact supplier wise.

However who ever youy contact will try and get you to agree to their rates and try and tie you into a contract which would not be a good idea as they may then try and nail you for past consumption.

Tell them that you are considering moving into the newly built property and you need to know if the meter serial number xxx12345 is regsitered to a supplier. That way they will not be breaking any data protection rules. If they say it is, ask them if they can identify the supplier. If they give you then name of the supplier even if it is them, thank them and then ring off. Then go on line and look for the best rates and then phone back asking them their rates and if compatible transfer the meter into your name. If not register with the best priced supplier. avoid Npower at all costs. I use Southern / Atlantic and customer service is above average plus good rates if you go for a capped rate until Sept 2011.

If the meter was never registered to a supplier no chance of them being able to prove whether you used 1 unit or a 1000 units per day.

here's what i know- serial numbers, MPAN numbers and the suppliers for four meters (suppliers of three are southern and scottish, the other is eon) i can probably guess which meters mine as there are flat numbers written in pencil above each meter and although it's a bit vague i think i can work mine out (supplier is Southern.)

So are you saying I should register this even though i'm moving out? The only problem I have with this is whether the landlord should be registering the meters and not me. Am in london btw.

any final advice from anyone? am about to move out, all meters unregistered, no bills at all, part of me wants to straighten this with l-lord before i leave, part of me thinks i should just go...

any final advice from anyone? am about to move out, all meters unregistered, no bills at all, part of me wants to straighten this with l-lord before i leave, part of me thinks i should just go...

Enjoy your move and your new home without any worries.

My situation is this and I need urgent help.

My restaurant's current gas and electricity supplier is Scottish Power since 2008. However, I have received a letter from E.on that they have made an application to Magistrate Court to remove the supply for a outstanding balance of £360.00 which I do not know about. I am really confused what to do about it. I thought since my business is supplied by Scottish Power Eon have no right to remove the meter. Please can anyone advice me on this as a matter of urgency.

Thank you

Ask Eon for a breakdown of these charges and for what period. If more than two years they may have to go suck eggs. Do this in writing because the moment you do it the account is in dispute and nto further action can take place until they comply with your request.

Were they the supplier previous to your current supplier?